XDuoo XD-05 Portable Dac/Amp Introduction - Impressions
Apr 12, 2018 at 7:24 PM Post #1,351 of 2,100
I started rolling multiple opamps and still find that the burson v5i is the most musical compared to OPA1692 or the OPA2209.
OPA1692 is indeed detailed but for my Beyerdynamics T1 the sub bass is uncontrolled and the treble is a tiny bit sibilant.
The OPA 2209 sound is a bit more detailed than the burson v5i but it lacks the mid bass of the burson.
I wish that with the burson v5i I could use the bass boost for the high gain on the Xduoo. It only works if low gain or mid gain is activated, as soon as i put it in high gain, "PROTECT" mode is triggered.
I will put burson v5i on Ebay for sale , maybe some one else has more luck with it. Maybe it is just my Xduoo that does this. If you are in Canada or the US and want to buy the burson v5i send me a PM and maybe you can get a better deal than buying it from burson and not wait for 2 weeks.
V5i-D works very well with high gain too, I have used it.

Or do you mean you can't use bass boost in high gain mode with V5i-D?

What I normally do is power on in low gain mode, once itbis ready for playback switch to high gain mode. If you power on in high gain mode it might never click.

Apr 12, 2018 at 8:46 PM Post #1,352 of 2,100

What I normally do is power on in low gain mode, once itbis ready for playback switch to high gain mode. If you power on in high gain mode it might never click.

My Xduoo starts and clicks in high gain ( with the v5i) but only with the bass boost turned off. It usually takes 10 to 15 sec and it clicks. I always wait for the click before hooking it up to my source.
Still as soon as I turn on the bass boost it will enter into " protect" -only in high gain.
I tried to turn on the xduoo in low gain and waited for the click. 10 sec later it clicked, I let it play for couple minutes turned on the bass boost, listened for a few minutes and finally when I turned the high gain, it played for 2 sec and turned the protect mode on.
My xduuo ( with v5i) does not like the high gain with bass boost on.
Any other opamp I tried worked fine with bass boost and in high gain

Apr 12, 2018 at 8:50 PM Post #1,353 of 2,100
My Xduoo starts and clicks in high gain ( with the v5i) but only with the bass boost turned off. It usually takes 10 to 15 sec and it clicks. I always wait for the click before hooking it up to my source.
Still as soon as I turn on the bass boost it will enter into " protect" -only in high gain.
I tried to turn on the xduoo in low gain and waited for the click. 10 sec later it clicked, I let it play for couple minutes turned on the bass boost, listened for a few minutes and finally when I turned the high gain, it played for 2 sec and turned the protect mode on.
As an alternative you should try OPA2192, sounds pretty close to V5i-D in many respects but more detailed. V5i-D has a more holographic soundstage but that's where the "pros" list ends against OPA2192. Sound signature wise it is very close to V5i-D, if you loved the V5i-D then most probably you will prefer OPA2192 over other IC opamps (OPA2209, OPA1692)

Apr 12, 2018 at 8:57 PM Post #1,354 of 2,100
As an alternative you should try OPA2192, sounds pretty close to V5i-D in many respects but more detailed. V5i-D has a more holographic soundstage but that's where the "pros" list ends against OPA2192. Sound signature wise it is very close to V5i-D, if you loved the V5i-D then most probably you will prefer OPA2192 over other IC opamps (OPA2209, OPA1692)

upload_2018-4-12_18-56-23.jpeg

Apr 12, 2018 at 8:59 PM Post #1,356 of 2,100
As in 2x OPA189? Because OPA2189 is still in preview...

What are your thoughts on OPA2192 vs Burson V5i-D?

Btw, I personally like OPA1692 and OPA2209. Especially with BUF634 bypassed with Nichicon VZ caps it the OPA2209 is superb, dead silent, cleaner highs and much better soundstage and overall smoother sound.

Waiting for my next batch of OPA1692.

Apr 12, 2018 at 9:01 PM Post #1,357 of 2,100
This is the box with opamp I already tried. Opa2192 has little to no bass and you are right it is one of the more detailed ones but even with bass boost turned on it has less than 2209 or v5i without bass boost.
Strange.

In fact I felt it has more bass emphasis than OPA2209! That's the reason I use OPA2209 over OPA2192.

Btw, the most impactful bass is OPA2197

Apr 12, 2018 at 11:15 PM Post #1,360 of 2,100
May I ask why are you starting the amp in high gain? What cans are you driving with it? It ahould be noted that if low gain is enough then you shoulf stick with it for (technically) better sound quality

Apr 13, 2018 at 12:28 AM Post #1,362 of 2,100
I use Beyerdynamic T1 - 600 ohm. On quiet recordings I need the high gain .
I see. That said I don’t quite hold the amp section of the XDuoo in high regards. Even an O2 or a Magni would be an improvement IMO.

Apr 13, 2018 at 1:07 AM Post #1,363 of 2,100
I see. That said I don’t quite hold the amp section of the XDuoo in high regards. Even an O2 or a Magni would be an improvement IMO.
I've seen enough comments about changing out the opamp for something different like the Burson V5i. Isn't the opamp pretty much the 'amp section' along with whatever buffering capacitors used?

Apr 13, 2018 at 2:36 AM Post #1,364 of 2,100
I've seen enough comments about changing out the opamp for something different like the Burson V5i. Isn't the opamp pretty much the 'amp section' along with whatever buffering capacitors used?
Opamp + BUF634

Add some bypass caps over BUF634 to see a real significant improvement.

I tried Nichicon VZ and Nichicon PW. Will be trying other caps like Panasonic FC/FM soon (once my SPOCC Litz wire is here)

I highly recommend the Nichicon VZ as bypass over BUF634, you won't be able to fit it back into the chassis though.

Apr 15, 2018 at 2:38 PM Post #1,365 of 2,100
V5i-D has a more holographic soundstage but that's where the "pros" list ends against OPA2192.
This is the main largest aspect that I guage most solid state gear on, whether to other gear or tube gear.
I find this distinction (of sonic holography) is most difficult to do.

This is the box with opamp I already tried. Opa2192 has little to no bass and you are right it is one of the more detailed ones but even with bass boost turned on it has less than 2209 or v5i without bass boost.
I am guessing that the op-amps are so tiny that they're difference in performance vary person to person ,
Because they are reacting to the different headphone load.

That said I don’t quite hold the amp section of the XDuoo in high regards. Even an O2 or a Magni would be an improvement IMO.
I had O2 and rolled op-amps into it to increase its sound quality even though those choices reduced power.
In the end I retired it in a drawer and later sold it.

From my experience,
I would not place the O2 unit above the Xduoo in terms of musicality.

Add some bypass caps over BUF634 to see a real significant improvement.
This may definitely be a big reason why youryo experiencing better performance with same opamps ..

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back