XDUoo XD05PRO
Apr 23, 2024 at 4:10 PM Post #2,116 of 2,219
Hello guys. Sorry for the stupid question maybe (I have read the first 45 pages) : normal mode can use a 5V power supply for desktop mode. Turbo requires a 12V. But if I buy a 12v power supply, i guess I can use the normal mode anyway (supposed to be in 5V), am I right?

Apr 23, 2024 at 6:02 PM Post #2,118 of 2,219
Hello guys. Sorry for the stupid question maybe (I have read the first 45 pages) : normal mode can use a 5V power supply for desktop mode. Turbo requires a 12V. But if I buy a 12v power supply, i guess I can use the normal mode anyway (supposed to be in 5V), am I right?
+1, yes, I use eco mode with 12V ext supply.

Apr 24, 2024 at 1:31 AM Post #2,124 of 2,219
You cannot use Turbo mode if you have an USB-C PD charger, no matter how many watts it supports.
You need to buy a 12v DC adapter and a DC to USB-C adapter.

One example is the IFI iPower2 12v + DC to USB-C adapter.
I'm not sure I want to venture back down the charger rabbit hole, but can you clarify what you mean by, "you can't use Turbo mode"? I'm using a GaN USB-C desktop charging station with my XD05. It shows it's delivering 12V to the XD05 whether in Eco, Normal or Turbo modes, no issues as far as I can tell. Am I missing something?

Apr 24, 2024 at 2:11 AM Post #2,125 of 2,219
I'm not sure I want to venture back down the charger rabbit hole, but can you clarify what you mean by, "you can't use Turbo mode"? I'm using a GaN USB-C desktop charging station with my XD05. It shows it's delivering 12V to the XD05 whether in Eco, Normal or Turbo modes, no issues as far as I can tell. Am I missing something?
Good to know that it works fine in any mode, I have similar GaN charger too.

Apr 24, 2024 at 5:06 AM Post #2,126 of 2,219
You cannot use Turbo mode if you have an USB-C PD charger, no matter how many watts it supports.
You need to buy a 12v DC adapter and a DC to USB-C adapter.

One example is the IFI iPower2 12v + DC to USB-C adapter.
This is not true. Almost all my home chargers with quick charge can be switched on in NORMAL and then correctly switched to TURBO.

Apr 24, 2024 at 12:46 PM Post #2,127 of 2,219
I thought we were past discussing this and you know what I mean. Nevertheless let me clarify once again.
With an USB-C PD charger, you cannot switch on the device in Turbo mode. When you power down and then power up again it will NOT start in Turbo mode. Of course you can switch to Turbo after powering on. But if you want to keep that mode and prevent the device from going back to ECO, you need a 12v DC charger.

We had several pages of this discussion before where everyone has tried this so I assumed we all knew this :)

Apr 24, 2024 at 12:48 PM Post #2,128 of 2,219
Good to know that it works fine in any mode, I have similar GaN charger too.
No it does not. It won’t start in Turbo unless you have a 12v DC adapter.
If you don’t use Turbo or if you don’t mind switching it each time you power on then sure any USB-C charger will work fine.

Sorry for the confusion in my previous statement. It was written in a hurry.
What I meant to say is if you want the device to perform perfectly in all modes, not going back to ECO/Normal when powered up etc. you need a 12v DC adapter. If you don’t mind switching modes then sure an USB-C charger will work fine. This is how I used it in the beginning until I got annoyed having to power on, then switch to Charge or Battery mode and then back to Ext etc. Then I bought an IFI iPower2 + USB-C to DC adapter and now the device works flawlessly. Any mode you select is also retained after power cycling .

That button to switch between different modes is quite flimsy and this is also why I bought a 12v adapter so I don’t have to fiddle with that thin switch and break it.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2024 at 1:23 PM Post #2,130 of 2,219
This is not true. Almost all my home chargers with quick charge can be switched on in NORMAL and then correctly switched to TURBO.

I think he means that XD05, when the switch is in the EXT position (and not CHARGE), does not send the necessary command to the charger to switch from 5V to 12V (which it does when the switch is in the CHARGE position).

With some chargers the trick of switching the switch from CHARGE to EXT while the device is charging works.
You can get more than 5V.

I had done an experiment a few months ago and published the results here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back