ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
Dec 6, 2023 at 4:16 PM Post #5,326 of 6,371
After several months now of comparing the Universe and Ultra perf Caldera pads, here is the time to give you some new thoughts. First of all, thanks to Zach for his video tutorial on pad rolling.... If at first it took me 5 minutes, I can now compete with him in a speed contest :wink:
I compared these 2 types of pads by changing them every month. This allowed me to better appreciate their qualities and faults. I mainly listen to music while working from home and I am 56 years old. My listening sessions can be very long, sometimes 5 to 6 hours a day. In these long sessions, the Universes take the advantage. Less hearing fatigue, better concentration (Universes narrow the sound space). The Utra Perfs are more distracting and the feeling at the treble level is more tiring (but this problem of sensitivity to treble remains personal, I already had some difficulties with the Utopia).
In terms of resolution and soundstage, I agree with most of you, it's better with the Ultra Perfs but we have to put things into perspective. This resolution benefits the treble and not the midrange and bass. The instruments are better detached, spaced out, identified. The voices, on the other hand, are in the background. It's fine if the musical composition is superior to the vocal performance, but otherwise, no. The other problem remains the stage height. The ultra perfs flatten the scene by accentuating the stereo effect. But the height of the stage and the musical mix become more neutral, less grandiose than with the Universes. I initially agreed with one of our members who said that with the Ultra Perfs, the Atrium became even more Atrium. But if we start with the cathedral effect (also designed for the atrium), the Universes are superior. The sound is higher, resonates more in 3D. Finally, the least well recorded albums (often older) sound better with Universe. Often remastering focuses on the musical composition, less on the vocals. The result is that the voice no longer has the necessary warmth that the Universe can give them. Last thing and not least, the discovery of albums and the feeling of surprise. Universes are more surprising in the sense that the appearance of an instrument, vocal effect or reverb is original and unique. If we save the best for last, that is to say as far as I am concerned, the bass, its rumble, the veracity of an instrument, there again, the Universes are the strongest. So what to choose? At the moment none, it can sometimes be nice to extend the stereo with the Ultra Perfs. But on a daily basis, to be in the music and feel things viscerally, the Universes remain the best in my opinion.

Dec 7, 2023 at 8:26 AM Post #5,327 of 6,371
After several months now of comparing the Universe and Ultra perf Caldera pads, here is the time to give you some new thoughts. First of all, thanks to Zach for his video tutorial on pad rolling.... If at first it took me 5 minutes, I can now compete with him in a speed contest :wink:
I compared these 2 types of pads by changing them every month. This allowed me to better appreciate their qualities and faults. I mainly listen to music while working from home and I am 56 years old. My listening sessions can be very long, sometimes 5 to 6 hours a day. In these long sessions, the Universes take the advantage. Less hearing fatigue, better concentration (Universes narrow the sound space). The Utra Perfs are more distracting and the feeling at the treble level is more tiring (but this problem of sensitivity to treble remains personal, I already had some difficulties with the Utopia).
In terms of resolution and soundstage, I agree with most of you, it's better with the Ultra Perfs but we have to put things into perspective. This resolution benefits the treble and not the midrange and bass. The instruments are better detached, spaced out, identified. The voices, on the other hand, are in the background. It's fine if the musical composition is superior to the vocal performance, but otherwise, no. The other problem remains the stage height. The ultra perfs flatten the scene by accentuating the stereo effect. But the height of the stage and the musical mix become more neutral, less grandiose than with the Universes. I initially agreed with one of our members who said that with the Ultra Perfs, the Atrium became even more Atrium. But if we start with the cathedral effect (also designed for the atrium), the Universes are superior. The sound is higher, resonates more in 3D. Finally, the least well recorded albums (often older) sound better with Universe. Often remastering focuses on the musical composition, less on the vocals. The result is that the voice no longer has the necessary warmth that the Universe can give them. Last thing and not least, the discovery of albums and the feeling of surprise. Universes are more surprising in the sense that the appearance of an instrument, vocal effect or reverb is original and unique. If we save the best for last, that is to say as far as I am concerned, the bass, its rumble, the veracity of an instrument, there again, the Universes are the strongest. So what to choose? At the moment none, it can sometimes be nice to extend the stereo with the Ultra Perfs. But on a daily basis, to be in the music and feel things viscerally, the Universes remain the best in my opinion.
I completely agree! I switched from the Universe to the Ultra Perforated pads and found the extra airiness and details addicting at first, but started to miss the grandiosity and heftiness of the Universe pads after a few weeks, so I went back to the Universe pads.

One thing I miss from the Ultra Perforated pads, though, is the better fit. That's why I'm eagerly waiting for Zach to experiment with other ultra perforated pads. I am especially interested to hear how Thick Caldera Ultra Perforated pads perform with the Atrium.

Dec 7, 2023 at 5:36 PM Post #5,328 of 6,371
I listen to a lot of classical music and I'm thinking about getting back into tube amplification, hence a new interest in ZMF headphones. Can anyone recommend a ZMF headphone along with a tube amplifier for classical music please?

Dec 7, 2023 at 9:03 PM Post #5,329 of 6,371
I completely agree! I switched from the Universe to the Ultra Perforated pads and found the extra airiness and details addicting at first, but started to miss the grandiosity and heftiness of the Universe pads after a few weeks, so I went back to the Universe pads.

One thing I miss from the Ultra Perforated pads, though, is the better fit. That's why I'm eagerly waiting for Zach to experiment with other ultra perforated pads. I am especially interested to hear how Thick Caldera Ultra Perforated pads perform with the Atrium.
I am a caldera ultra perf user myself and am not rushing to change any time soon, but the stock pads are the universe perforated ones (NOT the solid ones), correct? I purchased mine with the caldera pads stock

Dec 7, 2023 at 10:01 PM Post #5,330 of 6,371
I listen to a lot of classical music and I'm thinking about getting back into tube amplification, hence a new interest in ZMF headphones. Can anyone recommend a ZMF headphone along with a tube amplifier for classical music please?

for Classical music, I'd recommend the Verite Open with the Decware Reference ZMF OTL

The VO is the fastest of the ZMF dynamic headphones and sounds great with classical music, and the Decware/ZMF OTL amp rounds it off beautiful and gives it a very romantic sound

Dec 7, 2023 at 10:53 PM Post #5,331 of 6,371
I am a caldera ultra perf user myself and am not rushing to change any time soon, but the stock pads are the universe perforated ones (NOT the solid ones), correct? I purchased mine with the caldera pads stock
Universe Perf Pads are stock, yes.

In general, never use solid pads on an open back ZMF unless you want to have a bad time.

Dec 7, 2023 at 11:45 PM Post #5,332 of 6,371
I guess it matters what you care about. For me, the key headphone characteristic I want for classical is open/airy/precise headstage. Among Zach’s offerings, to my ears, on my system … yada yada … I own Atrium Open and Auteur Classic, and I auditioned Caldera, and Caldera was best for classical, w/ Atrium a somewhat distant 2nd. But, from my current quiver it’s HEKse for smaller pieces and Expanse for orchestral. I suspect Caldera would be right there, although I didn’t do any A/B/C comparisons — classical isn’t where I spend most of my time nowadays. (I’ve never heard Verite, so no opinion there.)

As a kid I used to sit on my Dad’s lap while he ‘pointed’ to the various sections of the orchestra — strings up front, violins to the left, woodwinds behind the strings, percussion back right, brass back middle. Loved that word, tympani.

Dec 7, 2023 at 11:49 PM Post #5,333 of 6,371
I know you're a Susvara fan, so I would recommend the Caldera. I've only ever demoed the Susvara, but I think the Caldera will get you the closest to the Susvara in terms of clarity, detail, soundstage, and I think the Caldera has better timbre than the Susvara. My favorite pads are the Caldera Suede and Caldera Ultra Perfs.

I listen to a bit of everything, and I've yet to hear a genre of music that I don't like on the Caldera.

I know you had to pare down your gear (it hurt when I read that) so I'm not sure what your price range is these days, but I think you would really like HA-300BMKII. Not the cheapest amp to tube roll because of the 300Bs but man it is a great sounding beast of an amp. If you ever get back to owning a Susvara, or some other hard to drive headphones like the Stealth, Expanse, or the Tungsten the 300BMKII will be able to drive them all with headroom to spare.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2023 at 1:10 AM Post #5,334 of 6,371
Universe Perf Pads are stock, yes.

In general, never use solid pads on an open back ZMF unless you want to have a bad time.
I just acquired the Atrium Open and I’ve been wondering about this. The pad guide clearly shows solid pads for the Atrium Open, and perforated pads for the Atrium Closed. But with solid pads (I have tried them all) the AO sounds WAY too bassy, boomy even. I’ve got the perforated auteurs on them now, and that sounds good. So is there a mistake in the pad guide? It also shows solid pads for the VO by the way. Another mistake?

IMG_0353.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2023 at 1:32 AM Post #5,335 of 6,371
I just acquired the Atrium Open and I’ve been wondering about this. The pad guide clearly shows solid pads for the Atrium Open, and perforated pads for the Atrium Closed. But with solid pads (I have tried them all) the AO sounds WAY too bassy, boomy even. I’ve got the perforated auteurs on them now, and that sounds good. So is there a mistake in the pad guide? It also shows solid pads for the VO by the way. Another mistake?

IMG_0353.jpeg
I can see how that's a little confusing. The Caldera pads, which are used on the Caldera and Atrium Closed, are indicated by the "dotted" pads. Note that all of the rest of the pads look the same, even though Closed ZMFs use solid pads and Open ZMFs use perforated pads.

The Caldera pads are technically hybrid pads (perf outer, solid inner) and have a newer fluted design. They're the only exception where they can be used on a closed back like the Atrium Closed.

Dec 8, 2023 at 1:52 AM Post #5,336 of 6,371
I can see how that's a little confusing. The Caldera pads, which are used on the Caldera and Atrium Closed, are indicated by the "dotted" pads. Note that all of the rest of the pads look the same, even though Closed ZMFs use solid pads and Open ZMFs use perforated pads.

The Caldera pads are technically hybrid pads (perf outer, solid inner) and have a newer fluted design. They're the only exception where they can be used on a closed back like the Atrium Closed.
Thanks! More than a little confusing imho. Because the Caldera pads are dotted, it suggests that the others are solid. They should dot the perforated pads for the open headphones on this chart.

By the way, thanks for mentioning that the Caldera pads (which are new to me and I don't have) are hybrids, with solid inner. This to me makes them more solid than perforated, and based on my experience with the solid pads so far, I will not be trying those on the AO. I might be interested in trying the perforated universe if I see one on the classifieds.

Edit: my AO came with three sets of solid pads included, which leads me to believe that some folks are making the wrong purchasing decisions for their pads. And I think that is due to the confusing chart.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2023 at 1:58 AM Post #5,337 of 6,371
Thanks! More than a little confusing imho. They should just dot the perforated pads for the open headphones on this chart.

By the way, thanks for mentioning that the Caldera pads (which are new to me and I don't have) are hybrids, with solid inner. This to me makes them more solid than perforated, and based on my experience with the solid pads so far, I will not be trying those on the AO. I might be interested in trying the perforated universe if I see one on the classifieds.
No problem.

I forgot to mention that the Ultra perf Caldera Pads are not hybrids, but fully perforated. That's why the work well with the AO and VO.

Dec 8, 2023 at 1:59 AM Post #5,338 of 6,371
No problem.

I forgot to mention that the Ultra perf Caldera Pads are not hybrids, but fully perforated. That's why the work well with the AO and VO.
Ok that makes sense. I see they are not on the chart yet, but I will check those out for sure. :thumbsup:

Edit: listening now to the AO with the auteur perforated pads and I am loving how they sound. Such emotional mids, great bass, open sounding. Fantastic headphones.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2023 at 7:02 AM Post #5,339 of 6,371
When I purchased my AO in Dallas, Zack and Bevin put the Caldera Ultra Perf and included a perf Universe pad as well. I listen to a lot of Classical music and my VO is my go to for it. As my AOs burn in, they sound better and better w/classical music, though my own A/B tests still have me drawn to the VO for this genre. That being said, I have yet to listen to anything on the AO (or VO) that does not sound good.

Dec 8, 2023 at 7:45 AM Post #5,340 of 6,371
I know you're a Susvara fan, so I would recommend the Caldera. I've only ever demoed the Susvara, but I think the Caldera will get you the closest to the Susvara in terms of clarity, detail, soundstage, and I think the Caldera has better timbre than the Susvara. My favorite pads are the Caldera Suede and Caldera Ultra Perfs.

I listen to a bit of everything, and I've yet to hear a genre of music that I don't like on the Caldera.

I know you had to pare down your gear (it hurt when I read that) so I'm not sure what your price range is these days, but I think you would really like HA-300BMKII. Not the cheapest amp to tube roll because of the 300Bs but man it is a great sounding beast of an amp. If you ever get back to owning a Susvara, or some other hard to drive headphones like the Stealth, Expanse, or the Tungsten the 300BMKII will be able to drive them all with headroom to spare.
Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back