ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
May 21, 2024 at 3:55 PM Post #6,346 of 6,390
@Quenya Likewise, I agree with @erics75
The hairline crack can possibly spread over time. Otherwise it has a very nice color and grain pattern. If it were me I'd ask for another in a similar pattern.
ZMF customer service is the best :thumbsup:

The way that cracks are stabilized, it's extremely unlikely that it would spread over time. I'll have to check with Zach, but I don't know if that has ever happened. I'm in the process of getting some B stock Verite Closed made for myself that have a crack because I otherwise really liked the cups.

That said, it is absolutely understandable if somebody would rather just buy an A stock headphone. A crack that doesn't bother one person might be something that annoys another. In the end, one kind of needs to know how particular they are. I tend to be extremely aesthetically particular, but occasional something won't bother me (like in the case of the VC cups).

May 21, 2024 at 3:58 PM Post #6,347 of 6,390

Most of you recommended that I go for the B-stock, but the supplied photos have me leaning towards opting for a new set. Would like to hear your thoughts.

The line wouldn't bother everyone, but just for that comment alone I would opt for a new set. Don't let the excitement of getting them cloud the way you feel, once the honeymoon phase wears off it'll probably bother you if you're already on the fence now.

Last edited:
May 21, 2024 at 4:03 PM Post #6,348 of 6,390
The way that cracks are stabilized, it's extremely unlikely that it would spread over time. I'll have to check with Zach, but I don't know if that has ever happened. I'm in the process of getting some B stock Verite Closed made for myself that have a crack because I otherwise really liked the cups.

That said, it is absolutely understandable if somebody would rather just buy an A stock headphone. A crack that doesn't bother one person might be something that annoys another. In the end, one kind of needs to know how particular they are. I tend to be extremely aesthetically particular, but occasional something won't bother me (like in the case of the VC cups).
Am gonna need pics of those cups sir!

May 21, 2024 at 4:18 PM Post #6,349 of 6,390
Am gonna need pics of those cups sir!

It's probably not anything folks haven't seen. Just a nice set of olive wood. I've always loved that wood, so I really wanted to get a pair and I saw them amongst some other B-stock cups. I'm not even sure if they are finished yet.

They definitely aren't as wild as my Atrium Closed. Now THOSE are wild.

2OPZ2sr.jpg

May 21, 2024 at 4:28 PM Post #6,350 of 6,390
It's probably not anything folks haven't seen. Just a nice set of olive wood. I've always loved that wood, so I really wanted to get a pair and I saw them amongst some other B-stock cups. I'm not even sure if they are finished yet.

2OPZ2sr.jpg
Those are insane!!!! if you ever sell them i'll take them! :)

1716323316049.png

May 21, 2024 at 4:36 PM Post #6,351 of 6,390

2OPZ2sr.jpg
Pretty hard to detect cracks in that amazing pattern! Maybe in person...

May 21, 2024 at 5:38 PM Post #6,352 of 6,390
Pretty hard to detect cracks in that amazing pattern! Maybe in person...

These don't have any cracks. It's a new set of Verite Closed that do. They are olive wood.

May 21, 2024 at 6:22 PM Post #6,353 of 6,390

2OPZ2sr.jpg
WOW!!

May 21, 2024 at 10:10 PM Post #6,355 of 6,390

2OPZ2sr.jpg

Amazing!

May 21, 2024 at 11:30 PM Post #6,356 of 6,390

2OPZ2sr.jpg
🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

So beautiful - good grief.

May 22, 2024 at 6:20 AM Post #6,357 of 6,390
about the b-stock discussion, I would go for a-stock aswell if it has a cracked line like that. I wouldn't be afraid of it breaking after some time, cause stabilized wood is pretty durable stuff from my knowings, but for me at that price point I'll rather have something with 0 flaws instead of a discount :) but like many others said, it really depends on yourself.

here's btw another result of the pad poll i started, i think there'll be no more votes from now on.
Screenshot_16.png

May 22, 2024 at 10:41 PM Post #6,359 of 6,390
Speaking of pads, has anyone done measurements of the Atrium with the Caldera Ultra Perfs (both the lambskin and suede)? I'm curious how much they raise the upper mids and lower treble compared to the stock universe.

May 23, 2024 at 2:37 AM Post #6,360 of 6,390
Speaking of pads, has anyone done measurements of the Atrium with the Caldera Ultra Perfs (both the lambskin and suede)? I'm curious how much they raise the upper mids and lower treble compared to the stock universe.
I would like to hear more general impressions of the Ultra Perforated Suede pads as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back