ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
Apr 14, 2022 at 10:42 AM Post #211 of 6,370
I've tested all types of connectors and the Rean can be kind of finicky because of how they assemble, I've always much preferred the "Amphenol 'style'" (stock or generic) connectors because they assemble with more stability. What it comes down to most of the time is if the connector is "straight," meaning if the 4 female plugs don't align perfectly straight, it may not click. A lot of the times when people send their headphones back in, it actually ends up being a cable issue, this is due to the fact that those panel jacks are CNC'd, and the tolerances are just so low (tight) that the chances of the actual panel jack in the headphone causing the "no click" is extremely unlikely. I've only seen this when the panel jack is actually missing pins or the pins get bent, or one case where there was a burr that had to be filed off.

This is not to say that anyone or any third party MFR is not assembling their cable correctly, but that's just been my experience with different connectors,

The way to fix a connector not clicking in, is typically to unscrew the barrel, straighten the solder connector out, reinsert into the barrel of the connector, and hold the button down while screwing the jack back together.

Unfortunately we don't have neutrik or rean connectors in house to test right now, as we only have our own custom jacks, and the amphenol type in house.
Noted ! Thank you

Apr 14, 2022 at 10:50 AM Post #212 of 6,370
I like how my Atrium sounds from the Blue Halo amp. It is an OTL amp !

atrium-blue-halo.jpg

Apr 14, 2022 at 12:25 PM Post #213 of 6,370
I just received my Atrium's this week. I've been wanting a ZMF headphone for a while and was close to buying the Verite open a few months ago, but for some reason I held back (not like me!)....but I'm glad I did. The Atriums sounded more like what I was after, based on the descriptions of the ZMF neutral voicing and wider Soundstage cues. All I can say is....... what a wonderful headphone! My most recent headphones are the Hifiman HE1000 SE's and the Heddphone....both of which I love. However, the Atrium has such a beautiful tonality that I've been literally transfixed over the past few days. My main amp is the DNA stratus and this is pretty much a perfect match, based on what I'm hearing. What has surprised me most about the Atrium is the spot-on balance across the frequency spectrum and the level of detail. I didn't expect such a resolving headphone based on the first published reviews, but it keeps up very well with the he1000 SE and heddphone in this respect. I haven't really found anything missing with the Atriums....it might be the best all round headphone I've ever heard. When you factor in the beautiful build and comfort, it really is a fantastic piece of work. I'm sure I'll have more impressions as I listen more over the next few weeks, but this is a cracker!
Team @Donald North with a strong showing so far with the Atrium! Love it.

Apr 14, 2022 at 12:34 PM Post #214 of 6,370
The Atrium is a very addictive listen...
ED2B34FA-167F-4C79-A7EF-178711E88FB6.jpeg

I like how my Atrium sounds from the Blue Halo amp. It is an OTL amp !

atrium-blue-halo.jpg

And visually addictive as well! Such a nice look. My shipping notification came yesterday, looking forward to the listening this weekend!

You're in for a great weekend!

Very cool stuff you guys. Photos and updates like these keep on making me want a set of Atriums myself, more and more!

Apr 14, 2022 at 1:25 PM Post #215 of 6,370
I'd just been listening to a newly purchased Infected Mushroom (EDM) album only in my car so far. Listening now with the new to me Glenn OTL and Sonnet Morpheus. Absolutely nothing lacking for me with the Atrium & EDM, especially the staging which is very 3D/ holographic with this set up. I installed the Titan mesh on the review unit and it's more airy with noticeably increased treble, such that with the Universe suede pads I'm using the stock mesh will probably be the ideal since suedes are a little brighter pads.
IMG_7175.jpeg

Apr 14, 2022 at 1:25 PM Post #216 of 6,370
There is some sort of witchery going on between the Atrium and pretty much any AC/DC album ever made.
The Atrium really shows off its staging, imaging and dynamics prowess. Dont believe me? Throw on For Those About To Rock. Thank me later. :L3000:

71V01A3w2JL._AC_SX466_.jpg

Apr 14, 2022 at 1:27 PM Post #217 of 6,370
I'd just been listening to a newly purchased Infected Mushroom (EDM) album only in my car so far. Listening now with the new to me Glenn OTL and Sonnet Morpheus. Absolutely nothing lacking for me with the Atrium & EDM, especially the staging which is very 3D/ holographic with this set up. I installed the Titan mesh on the review unit and it's more airy with noticeably increased treble, such that with the Universe suede pads I'm using the stock mesh will probably be the ideal since suedes are a little brighter pads.IMG_7175.jpeg
Damn, that looks like my amp!! What ya got in the driver seat?

Apr 14, 2022 at 1:38 PM Post #219 of 6,370
The RCA 1633, which from what I'm reading is the Italian-made 25v tube as you mentioned, despite the "made in USA" on the base of the tube. Put the Cetron in as power tubes which also sounds great and gives me more play in the volume knob. Really all the tube rolls I've done so far with the ones you included have sounded pretty great, though so far I seem to be enjoying this roll a little more than some others. Also dead silent for me!

Apr 14, 2022 at 2:19 PM Post #221 of 6,370
Is there any longer wait than from the time you order a ZMF headphone until you receive them? I'd argue no.

I wonder if anyone has tried the Atrium with the new 3rd gen Woo Audio WA7 Fireflies, seems like it could be a good pairing.

Apr 14, 2022 at 3:20 PM Post #222 of 6,370
Is there any longer wait than from the time you order a ZMF headphone until you receive them? I'd argue no.

I wonder if anyone has tried the Atrium with the new 3rd gen Woo Audio WA7 Fireflies, seems like it could be a good pairing.
I have and the pairing is wonderful. I did some tube rolling and put two Sylvania Gold Brand GB-5751 Gray Plate, Triple Mica 12AU7/12AX7/12AT7 tubes in the WA7. Burning in now for about 125hrs with my Atrium.

Attachments

• Set.jpg
    Set.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
Apr 14, 2022 at 5:53 PM Post #223 of 6,370
ZOMG!!! Guys! Guy! It's...guys! It's shipped!! Guys! My Bubinga LTD Atrium shipped!!!

Guys!!!!!

Yeah, I'm a little excited.

Apr 14, 2022 at 5:59 PM Post #224 of 6,370
Decided to try out my Auteur perf lambskin pads today. Here’s a picture of the mesh that came on my stock cherry Atrium. Seems to be a middle ground between the two that were in the review units.
12E07D3C-78FD-41A3-8B58-90996731B231.jpeg
Perhaps I'm not paying much attention to the Atrium, it's very cool to see the mesh options. Such a nice design tuning.

Apr 14, 2022 at 6:32 PM Post #225 of 6,370
I need some justification purchasing the Atrium especially when I already own the Auteur, VC and VO along with all the other headphones in my sig. Anyone care to nudge me in the right direction?

Since you already have the auteur … the atrium would be the natural upgrade 😃

And maybe you could also start thinking to sell the empy too 🥱

OFC imho 😇

Users who are viewing this thread

Back