ZMF Caldera Closed
Apr 24, 2024 at 1:50 PM Post #241 of 375
Zach, are the Caldera Closed Hybrid the same as hybrid pads that came with the Bokeh?
They are 2mm thicker all around, which I found worked best for the planar driver, so they are the "regular" Caldera pad thickness which mirrors that of the universe pad. 25mm thickest side, 20mm thinner side.

Bokeh hybrid are 23mm and 18mm.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Apr 24, 2024 at 1:54 PM Post #242 of 375
They are 2mm thicker all around, which I found worked best for the planar driver, so they are the "regular" Caldera pad thickness which mirrors that of the universe pad. 25mm thickest side, 20mm thinner side.

Bokeh hybrid are 23mm and 18mm.
Sorry, one more question.

Do you think these new hybrid pads play well with the AC?

Apr 24, 2024 at 2:54 PM Post #243 of 375
Hey look what arrived earlier today:

IMG_1799.jpg
IMG_1812.jpg
IMG_1815.jpg

IMG_1807.jpg
IMG_1809.jpg
IMG_1810.jpg

IMG_1818.jpg
IMG_1820.jpg
IMG_1821.jpg

This is the Caldera Closed using the Queensland Maple wood. It's my first time with any headphones that employ such a gorgeous wood that is also finished so well, so I had to take some photos beyond just the usual reference-against-white-backdrop style.

Apr 24, 2024 at 2:58 PM Post #244 of 375

IMG_1799.jpg IMG_1812.jpg IMG_1815.jpg
IMG_1807.jpg IMG_1809.jpg IMG_1810.jpg
IMG_1818.jpg IMG_1820.jpg IMG_1821.jpg

This is the Caldera Closed using the Queensland Maple wood. It's my first time with any headphones that employ such a gorgeous wood that is also finished so well, so I had to take some photos beyond just the usual reference-against-white-backdrop style.
Those look gorgeous!

Apr 24, 2024 at 3:08 PM Post #245 of 375

My ACs are Queensland Maple.

If Queensland Maple is available day one, that will be my first choice.

Apr 24, 2024 at 3:09 PM Post #246 of 375
I just fainted 😵

Apr 24, 2024 at 3:20 PM Post #247 of 375

Oh wow. That looks amazing! The finish goes very well with the shape and different facets

Apr 24, 2024 at 3:21 PM Post #248 of 375

Oh wow. This wood kind of blends it all together beautifully. There's almost some smokiness about it that I love.

Apr 24, 2024 at 3:33 PM Post #249 of 375
Yes, Queensland Maple is my favorite wood (so far) on the CC. I did notice the cups are not aligned rotationally on that set. I guess I have OCD... :dt880smile:

IMG_1815.jpg

Apr 24, 2024 at 3:37 PM Post #250 of 375
I hope there are some reviews out on the Caldera Closed before long. It would be hard to spend this much money on something you can't even demo when you don't know what it sounds like relative to other ZMFs. I know Zach isn't a huge fan of professional reviewers, but I have always found their opinion critical for me to make the decision to buy. I want to know everything, the good and the bad, and feel like the reviewer is being blunt and not sugar coating anything or being overly uncritical (cough Z cough). I actually have found Reviews by Wave Theory to be the best and most useful reviews for ZMFs and for other headphones.

I wonder if the sound on this is meaningfully different from the Caldera Open, or if this is mostly a Caldera Open with better noise isolation and a bit more bass.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2024 at 4:05 PM Post #251 of 375
I hope there are some reviews out on the Caldera Closed before long. It would be hard to spend this much money on something you can't even demo when you don't know what it sounds like relative to other ZMFs. I know Zach isn't a huge fan of professional reviewers, but I have always found their opinion critical for me to make the decision to buy. I want to know everything, the good and the bad, and feel like the reviewer is being blunt and not sugar coating anything or being overly uncritical (cough Z cough). I actually have found Reviews by Wave Theory to be the best and most useful reviews for ZMFs and for other headphones.

I wonder if the sound on this is meaningfully different from the Caldera Open, or if this is mostly a Caldera Open with better noise isolation and a bit more bass.
It looks like demo units are finding their way to individuals, so I'm sure we'll start seeing impressions soon. I'm most curious how it compares to the AC and Bokeh, my current two favorites. I'm sure it will out-resolve them easily, but will it be as engaging and musical as well? That's the question I'm most eager to find out.

Apr 24, 2024 at 4:18 PM Post #252 of 375
It looks like demo units are finding their way to individuals, so I'm sure we'll start seeing impressions soon. I'm most curious how it compares to the AC and Bokeh, my current two favorites. I'm sure it will out-resolve them easily, but will it be as engaging and musical as well? That's the question I'm most eager to find out.
I am wondering how its frequency response compares to the CO, VC and AC. People seem to be saying it is very close to the CO but with a bit more bass and a bit less brightness. So my question is whether it makes sense to have both the CO and CC, or if they are so similar that it doesn't make sense to have both. I found having both Atriums to be worthwhile, but not both Verites.

Apr 24, 2024 at 4:23 PM Post #253 of 375
I am wondering how its frequency response compares to the CO, VC and AC. People seem to be saying it is very close to the CO but with a bit more bass and a bit less brightness. So my question is whether it makes sense to have both the CO and CC, or if they are so similar that it doesn't make sense to have both. I found having both Atriums to be worthwhile, but not both Verites.
I'm with you I have both Atriums and love them both, they're different enough to easily justify keeping both. My wallet doesn't agree, but he gets no say in the matter... :)

Apr 24, 2024 at 4:32 PM Post #254 of 375
I did notice the cups are not aligned rotationally on that set. I guess I have OCD
I saw that but thought it was just a trick of the light - that would drive me bonkers (but I expect just demo prototype production bumps)

Apr 24, 2024 at 4:51 PM Post #255 of 375
Yes, Queensland Maple is my favorite wood (so far) on the CC. I did notice the cups are not aligned rotationally on that set. I guess I have OCD... :dt880smile:

IMG_1815.jpg

Yeah, there were some prototype cups with that. The production cups will be symmetrical. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back