ZMF Pendant by Ampsandsound; impressions, tube-rolling, and general discussions
Apr 24, 2024 at 8:29 AM Post #2,446 of 2,521
What happened?
I contacted a couple of dealers, which might be the same guy as far as I could tell, and they gave me $4-500 prices. Then I got to talking to one of them and he finally offered me one for $300. Pretty strange interaction all around. Hope it works out well and I don't end up with a fake or used one.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2024 at 11:47 AM Post #2,447 of 2,521
I contacted a couple of dealers, which might be the same guy as far as I could tell, and they gave me $4-500 prices. Then I got to talking to one of them and he finally offered me one for $300. Pretty strange interaction all around. Hope it works out well and I don't end up with a fake or used one.
I know he has more than one storefront so it could have been the same guy or same umbrella

Apr 24, 2024 at 7:00 PM Post #2,449 of 2,521
Yeah I thought I got mine at hanoitubes but it was actually raretubestore...both Viet Nam and as tholt said, I'm thinking it's the same place.
Likewise. I had a similar thought

Apr 25, 2024 at 7:04 PM Post #2,450 of 2,521
PXL_20240425_225603431.jpg

It is in, and it powers up. Good signs. Unfortunately, it turns out that my excellent sounding RME ADI-2/4 PRO SE has TRS unbalanced connectors instead of the RCA unbalanced I wrongly assumed it had. K, time for a new DAC - RME is up in the classifieds 🙄. I've come up with some options, but I'd love some help with them from anyone who's used the pendant before. I'm trying to avoid ESS DACs since I'm bored with them and don't find them very special. Here's what I have so far:

Schiit Bifrost 2/64 - seems to be the default recommendation
Schiit Yggdrasil - upgrade?
AudioNote DAC - a store out here may sell them
Chord Qutest - had one, liked it a lot
Border Patrol SE-i - tube DAC
Musician Pegasus
RME ADI-2 - actually has RCA outs
Audio-gd R1 DAC
MHDT Orchid - long wait to get in
Matrix AudioMini-i4
Holo Cyan 2
Benchmark DAC B

If there's anything I am missing you think should be on my list, lemme know. Thanks for the help!

Apr 25, 2024 at 7:32 PM Post #2,451 of 2,521
It is in, and it powers up. Good signs. Unfortunately, it turns out that my excellent sounding RME ADI-2/4 PRO SE has TRS unbalanced connectors instead of the RCA unbalanced I wrongly assumed it had. K, time for a new DAC - RME is up in the classifieds 🙄. I've come up with some options, but I'd love some help with them from anyone who's used the pendant before. I'm trying to avoid ESS DACs since I'm bored with them and don't find them very special. Here's what I have so far:

Musician Pegasus
Audio-gd R1 DAC
Matrix AudioMini-i4
Holo Cyan 2
Benchmark DAC B

If there's anything I am missing you think should be on my list, lemme know. Thanks for the help!
Sonnett Morpheus is excellent. Preferred it over the TT2 I sold after getting it. ZMF sells them (still I think) and occasionally in the classifieds where I got mine.

Apr 25, 2024 at 7:35 PM Post #2,452 of 2,521
Sonnett Morpheus is excellent. Preferred it over the TT2 I sold after getting it. ZMF sells them (still I think) and occasionally in the classifieds where I got mine.
Better than the TT2 is high praise indeed.

Apr 25, 2024 at 7:44 PM Post #2,453 of 2,521

Musician Pegasus
Audio-gd R1 DAC
Matrix AudioMini-i4
Holo Cyan 2
Benchmark DAC B

Holo Spring 3 KTE (or Holo May KTE) 😈

Apr 25, 2024 at 7:51 PM Post #2,454 of 2,521
Apr 25, 2024 at 8:06 PM Post #2,455 of 2,521
I love my Morpheus as well, and will never get rid of it. The Morpheus is amazing at making music sound lifelike, and gets a big rec from me.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2024 at 8:09 PM Post #2,456 of 2,521

Musician Pegasus
Audio-gd R1 DAC
Matrix AudioMini-i4
Holo Cyan 2
Benchmark DAC B

That is an absolutely gorgeous looking Pendant! That walnut burl is one of the best I have seen.

From that list, I have heard great things about the Musician Pegasus. . .

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2024 at 8:09 PM Post #2,457 of 2,521
I love my Morpheus as well, and will never get rid of it. The Morpheus is amazing at making music sound lifelike.
You guys are definitely selling the Morpheus for me haha

Apr 25, 2024 at 8:18 PM Post #2,458 of 2,521

Musician Pegasus
Audio-gd R1 DAC
Matrix AudioMini-i4
Holo Cyan 2
Benchmark DAC B

I have been using the Audio-GD R-1 NOS for 8 months and its been a great time. It takes a lot of burn in time but the performance is really superb for the price. Honestly you have picked a lot of respectable DAC's. I don't see how you could go wrong with any of them especially if you buy used.

Apr 25, 2024 at 8:37 PM Post #2,459 of 2,521
I went from an upgraded Bifrost to a yiggy which has had one upgrade since. To my ears a huge sonic improvement. Have felt no need to change since.
Can't compare to the others you mentioned however.

Apr 25, 2024 at 8:40 PM Post #2,460 of 2,521
You guys are definitely selling the Morpheus for me haha
Compared to the TT2, it was every bit as detailed and as wide of a sounstage but just had more body to the sound. I wouldn't say dramatic differences, but the Hugo 2 & TT2 even more so when used as amps directly just have this sharpness to vocals which can be awful when listening quite loudly especially watching videos rather than music. They also make the Pasithea but from comments it doesn't seem to be a huge jump and has less warmth so I've stuck with the Morpheus for a couple years now and have zero desire to look for another DAC. At one point it was one of very few DACs ZMF sold back when they were still selling the Pendant, which says a lot of what Zach thought of the pairing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back