2359glenn | studio
Mar 12, 2024 at 6:27 PM Post #39,904 of 39,983
Mar 13, 2024 at 12:01 PM Post #39,905 of 39,983
I appreciate you guys still recommending tubes for the Glenn OTL. It’s appreciated!

Btw- im having a hard time deviating from this setup. I don’t really know which way to go to similar sound but different variety of tubes… excuse the dust btw!

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2024 at 12:55 PM Post #39,906 of 39,983
IMG_5909.jpeg

Mar 13, 2024 at 4:09 PM Post #39,909 of 39,983
I appreciate you guys still recommending tubes for the Glenn OTL. It’s appreciated!

Btw- im having a hard time deviating from this setup. I don’t really know which way to go to similar sound but different variety of tubes… excuse the dust btw!

Replace that ECC32 with an adapter that holds two 6J5. Then prepare to be blown away. The Chathams and Cossor are prefect for the Glenn. Leave those in and start swapping drivers. I can save you a bunch of time hunting down pairs of 6C5/6J5 and provide you with a few sets for a variety of musical tastes. Let me know. Also check out the 6J5 thread. I can tell you now you’re going to want Ken Rad 6C5, Brimar 6C5, Raytheon 6J5, Tung Sol VT-94, and GEC L63 (ST shape). These cover everything and you’ll be set for life, Lol.😆

Mar 13, 2024 at 9:36 PM Post #39,911 of 39,983
An ECC31 requires an adapter. So yours might be an ECC32?

Do you have any other rectifiers? out put tubes? or drivers? Or would you have to buy?
ecc33 with adaptor excuse me.

I have other rectifiers and output tubes. I’ll take a pic of my tube lot! I feel like I have other decent tubes but I’m probably not using the best combination to get the best sound out of them

Mar 13, 2024 at 10:38 PM Post #39,912 of 39,983
ecc33 with adaptor excuse me.

I have other rectifiers and output tubes. I’ll take a pic of my tube lot! I feel like I have other decent tubes but I’m probably not using the best combination to get the best sound out of them
One of the best unsung features of the Glenn is the fact that you can use 3-, 4-, or 5-volt rectifiers interchangeably. I spent a lot of time auditioning rectifiers on my Glenn when I had it and I settled on the 4-volt GEC U18/20 (CV31) as my overall favorite. The 53KU you have is my strong #2. Consider getting a B4 to octal adapter from @Deyan when you get the 6J5 adapter and try to find a CV31. The Chatham 6AS7G is the best power tube in the Glenn IMO. It is clean, powerful, and best of all neutral. It lets all the nuance of your driver tube come through clean and intact. At one point I had 10 of them as backups lol. The Bendix 6080 power tube is a nice change of pace if you need more impact and less texture. Same with the Tung Sol 7236. I would run the 5CU4 rectifier with these. But I ALWAYS came back to the Chathams. If you have or can find some 6520s, even better. GEC 6AS7G are nice but not worth the premium price IME.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2024 at 10:48 PM Post #39,913 of 39,983
One of the best unsung features of the Glenn is the fact that you can use 3-, 4-, or 5-volt rectifiers interchangeably. I spent a lot of time auditioning rectifiers on my Glenn when I had it and I settled on the 4-volt GEC U18/20 (CV31) as my overall favorite. The 53KU you have is my strong #2. Consider getting a B4 to octal adapter from @Deyan when you get the 6J5 adapter and try to find a CV31. The Chatham 6AS7G is the best power tube in the Glenn IMO. It is clean, powerful, and best of all neutral. It lets all the nuance of your driver tube come through clean and intact. At one point I had 10 of them as backups lol. The Bendix 6080 power tube is a nice change of pace if you need more impact and less texture. Same with the Tung Sol 7236. I would run the 5CU4 rectifier with these. But I ALWAYS came back to the Chathams. If you have or can find some 6520s, even better. GEC 6AS7G are nice but not worth the premium price IME.

I have the 4 tube version (1 gain, 2 output, 1 rect) which I got from another user, so I don't truly have any info what can and cannot go into this amp -- would you know whether the 6J5 is possible with this version? (if so, how do I do that?)

thanks for any advice..

1710384392959.png

Mar 13, 2024 at 10:54 PM Post #39,914 of 39,983
I have the 4 tube version (1 gain, 2 output, 1 rect) which I got from another user, so I don't truly have any info what can and cannot go into this amp -- would you know whether the 6J5 is possible with this version? (if so, how do I do that?)

thanks for any advice..

Yes you can use a pair of 6J5 in your 6SN7 slot just like Craig. You want an adapter either from @Deyan here or from mrsxuling on eBay. Or you can make your own like I did ( after buying several from Dayan first ☺️). I have two adapters on my Telemachus shown here:

IMG_1618.jpeg

Also, ask Zachi (@Zachik ) to send you the Glenn Tube Compatibility Chart he made. It’s an invaluable source of info for Glenn tube rollers.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2024 at 11:04 PM Post #39,915 of 39,983
Yes you can use a pair of 6J5 in your 6SN7 slot just like Craig. You want an adapter either from @Deyan here or from mrsxuling on eBay. Or you can make your own like I did ( after buying several from Dayan first ☺️). I have two adapters on my Telemachus shown here:

IMG_1618.jpeg

Also, ask Zachi (@Zachik ) to send you the Glenn Tube Compatibility Chart he made. It’s an invaluable source of info for Glenn tube rollers.

thanks so much!

oh yea, Zachi sent me his spreadsheet. it's awesome, obivously :)

I'm currently using the Brimar 13D1 and can choose between 25V and 12V for gain on single input tube. So assume I use 12V setting for dual 6J5 with adapter?

now, just need to hunt those down... any specific 6J5 tube you like most?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back