2359glenn | studio
Mar 24, 2024 at 9:12 PM Post #39,931 of 39,983
It's been about a year since I could listen to my Glenn because I was doing some restorations and moving and I was able to listen to it this week and it really blew me away how great the sound was. I had my entire desktop setup packed up and was mainly surviving off of the Hugo 2 and over the past month I have started setting things up again and this was the last thing.

This really is at another level from all of my other amps I was enjoying the Hugo and the TT2 during the time I had them but once I heard this again it was stunning and I wasn't expecting to hear that big of a difference. It's the clarity and the spaciousness that get me I feel like you don't lose much going to tubes and these make the imaging so impressive. The low end is also impressive compared to my other amps and this can also be a bit of the spaciousness but I think it also just has a lot of power and maybe a bit of the impedance with ZMF dynamics (AC).

Also a big fan of the GEC 6j5, another one that I liked was the Fivre 6j5 but those can get pricy and then a good reasonable price tube is the GE 6j5 metal tubes.

1711327543997.png

Mar 24, 2024 at 9:30 PM Post #39,932 of 39,983
It's been about a year since I could listen to my Glenn because I was doing some restorations and moving and I was able to listen to it this week and it really blew me away how great the sound was. I had my entire desktop setup packed up and was mainly surviving off of the Hugo 2 and over the past month I have started setting things up again and this was the last thing.

This really is at another level from all of my other amps I was enjoying the Hugo and the TT2 during the time I had them but once I heard this again it was stunning and I wasn't expecting to hear that big of a difference. It's the clarity and the spaciousness that get me I feel like you don't lose much going to tubes and these make the imaging so impressive. The low end is also impressive compared to my other amps and this can also be a bit of the spaciousness but I think it also just has a lot of power and maybe a bit of the impedance with ZMF dynamics (AC).

Also a big fan of the GEC 6j5, another one that I liked was the Fivre 6j5 but those can get pricy and then a good reasonable price tube is the GE 6j5 metal tubes.

1711327543997.png

When you're tired of your system, take a break. I was away for 3 months and when I returned and listen to my setup, I was like a man in the desert who found a bottle of water.

and yes tube amps are much better. :)

Mar 25, 2024 at 3:30 PM Post #39,933 of 39,983
When you're tired of your system, take a break. I was away for 3 months and when I returned and listen to my setup, I was like a man in the desert who found a bottle of water.

That's a really good description of how it felt and during the time it felt like the Hugo 2 was great and it did get me through the year well but man hooking up the GOTL was something else entirely and I instantly felt how much I've missed it.

The only headphones I have that I prefer off SS is the Caldera but this may change, I've heard that if you put some Cetron 6336 in the GOTL it may work better impedance wise and I like that tube in general so I will give that a try. For my dynamics though the GOTL is really special and it takes them all to a different place. Really loving the AC through it that is a nice combination so I haven't messed with other headphones or tubes yet just kind of enjoying these for now.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2024 at 1:16 PM Post #39,934 of 39,983

There's plenty of water in the lake. When do you want me to caddy for you again? 🤣

Mar 29, 2024 at 11:10 PM Post #39,935 of 39,983
Very similar to what I just read from @Karnicopia, I haven’t listened to my GOTL in a while either…Long story short I felt like my system was missing that “secret sauce” that I had with it before, and it’s deterred me from listening. What that element is, (that I believe… ha) is integrating Amarra Luxe back into the equation.

So I got a Mac mini to use the software again, and an iPad for easy access to streaming music. Just have to set it all up finally and see…

I took a photo of my tube collection for anyone that would like to help with good combinations. @gibosi, @whirlwind or anyone else. I’ve used the same combo (cosssor 53ku, Chatham 6as7g, ecc31 for the longest now.) I need to mix it up and roll more.
IMG_5987.jpeg

And special thank you to @Velozity for letting me get my hands on some 6j5 equivalents to try out!! I bought the adaptor and the tubes and they both came today. They are heating up as I type, and very excited to hear them.
IMG_5989.jpeg

Thanks for letting me share the long winded information lol

Mar 30, 2024 at 9:11 AM Post #39,936 of 39,983
I am thinking that tube combo that you have in there now should sound pretty sweet!

Congrats on the new tubes :)

Mar 30, 2024 at 3:51 PM Post #39,938 of 39,983
I believe that the Mullard GZ32 might be good to try. And perhaps the NU 6F8G. Enjoy! :)
I’ll have to start playing around with combinations again!

I’ll give the 6f8g’s another go. I feel like people liked 6f8g’s here but I don’t know how good those specific ones are compared to better ones.

I was surprised that I didn’t get much from c3g’s btw. I feel like those were also liked, but I didn’t get much from them

Mar 30, 2024 at 4:09 PM Post #39,939 of 39,983
Most 6F8G are simply 6SN7GT with a top cap and I don't notice any difference. However, the NU 6F8G has a different construction than the NU 6SN7GT, with round plates, and in my opinion, it sounds better.

The Siemens C3g is a fairly bright tube and works well with darker rectifiers and output tubes. However, the older Lorenz C3g with embossed tops are a bit darker and they might be worth a try.

Mar 30, 2024 at 5:29 PM Post #39,940 of 39,983
Most 6F8G are simply 6SN7GT with a top cap and I don't notice any difference. However, the NU 6F8G has a different construction than the NU 6SN7GT, with round plates, and in my opinion, it sounds better.

The Siemens C3g is a fairly bright tube and works well with darker rectifiers and output tubes. However, the older Lorenz C3g with embossed tops are a bit darker and they might be worth a try.
Oh I didn’t know that. I have Siemens c3g, never tried the Lorenz!

Btw I felt like the 6c5g’s added punch to the bass. That was nice last night listening

Mar 30, 2024 at 5:49 PM Post #39,941 of 39,983
I’ll have to start playing around with combinations again!

I’ll give the 6f8g’s another go. I feel like people liked 6f8g’s here but I don’t know how good those specific ones are compared to better ones.

I was surprised that I didn’t get much from c3g’s btw. I feel like those were also liked, but I didn’t get much from them
You're not the only one who isn't a fan of the C3g in the GOTL. They are great in the 300B though (obviously combined with 300B tubes). Other amp owners on here (some Envy owners) also like them - and are probably the ones who are pushing up the price of these tubes.

Can't go wrong with 6J5. They seem to be universally liked.

Mar 30, 2024 at 8:52 PM Post #39,942 of 39,983
You're not the only one who isn't a fan of the C3g in the GOTL. They are great in the 300B though (obviously combined with 300B tubes). Other amp owners on here (some Envy owners) also like them - and are probably the ones who are pushing up the price of these tubes.

Can't go wrong with 6J5. They seem to be universally liked.
Even though I ordered my GOTL with C3g sockets I never really liked them in the GOTL - too bright.

Apr 5, 2024 at 8:32 PM Post #39,945 of 39,983
If anyone is interested in selling their glenn amp please PM me, thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back