ALO Audio RXMKIII Balanced Portable Amplifier Impressions
Jul 26, 2013 at 11:15 AM Post #661 of 1,084
I must be the luckiest man in the world of Head-fi because I have total black when using my JH-16's with the MKIIIB. Now of course I'll hear analogue tape hiss with older recordings but inbetween tracks nothing. I'll just consider myself fortunate.

Jul 28, 2013 at 11:05 AM Post #662 of 1,084
wah.... with rx3b and the bass turn to max and still say bass not enough... Zzzz.... Not sure what hp you using, but with my deform hd600, the hp is already vibrating, I got tight, deep, kick ass bass from clas db -> balance ic -> rx3b -> either single ended or balance hd600.

Jul 28, 2013 at 11:32 AM Post #663 of 1,084
I'm listening to the same rig with my HD650s as we speak, and I'm completely happy with the bass just past half.  Making Van Morrison sound fantastic....

Oct 4, 2013 at 6:38 PM Post #669 of 1,084
I have been running .wav files through a CLAS -R/ALO National pairing into either my Sennheiser HD 650's, Momentums, HD 25-1 II or V-Moda M-100's. The overall presentation is quite impressive: very nice sound stage, warmth and separation (although the V-Moda's a bit heavy in the low and mid bass), maybe just a little edgy in the mid highs...

In searching for something more, the next step in mobile audiophile amplification I was wondering if I should take the leap up to the Rx-MK 3B+ or opt for the Continental V3.
Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

Oct 4, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #670 of 1,084
I have been running .wav files through a CLAS -R/ALO National pairing into either my Sennheiser HD 650's, Momentums, HD 25-1 II or V-Moda M-100's. The overall presentation is quite impressive: very nice sound stage, warmth and separation (although the V-Moda's a bit heavy in the low and mid bass), maybe just a little edgy in the mid highs...

In searching for something more, the next step in mobile audiophile amplification I was wondering if I should take the leap up to the Rx-MK 3B+ or opt for the Continental V3.
Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

I would recommend jumping up to the RX-MK3 B+. In my personal experience with the amp, I fell in love with the way the adjustable bass is implemented. Before I made my purchase had the same question, but im very glad I went with the RX MK3 B+. I've used it with my HD650s and my Mad Dogs and they pair great for me.

Oct 4, 2013 at 7:01 PM Post #671 of 1,084
I would recommend jumping up to the RX-MK3 B+. In my personal experience with the amp, I fell in love with the way the adjustable bass is implemented. Before I made my purchase had the same question, but im very glad I went with the RX MK3 B+. I've used it with my HD650s and my Mad Dogs and they pair great for me.

Thanks for the tip...
In asking the ALO staff about the conundrum they replied that the Continental is a bit warmer than the more 'clinical" MK3 B+. The word clinical is a bit suspect when describing sound; do the 
RX-MK3 B+ offer a warm presentation? My National, as described above, has a surprising warm sound for a solid state amp.

Oct 4, 2013 at 7:02 PM Post #672 of 1,084

Thanks for the tip...
In asking the ALO staff about the conundrum they replied that the Continental is a bit warmer than the more 'clinical" MK3 B+. The word clinical is a bit suspect when describing sound; do the 
RX-MK3 B+ offer a warm presentation? My National, as described above, has a surprising warm sound for a solid state amp.

Oops: "does the..."

Oct 4, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #673 of 1,084
Since you own the CLAS-r I might lean to the Continental.  I own the HD650s too, and though a great pairing, I sometimes long to keep with the HD650s smoothness.  The Continental's tube character would be the ticket if you feel that way.  I wanted balanced to match my CLAS-db, so I went Mk3 and tweek the bass knob a bit...

Oct 5, 2013 at 1:59 AM Post #674 of 1,084
  Since you own the CLAS-r I might lean to the Continental.  I own the HD650s too, and though a great pairing, I sometimes long to keep with the HD650s smoothness.  The Continental's tube character would be the ticket if you feel that way.  I wanted balanced to match my CLAS-db, so I went Mk3 and tweek the bass knob a bit...

My concern with the Continental is two fold: heat issue and battery live. 95% of my listening is on the go, so my rig is nestled in a messenger bag most of the time. Stacked, even with bands acting as spacers between components AND being inside a closed bag might cause some heat issues, degrading the overall battery life. The HD 650's certainly offer the nicest presentation out of all my cans, but being open they're not well suited for use in public (I like to drive them :wink: )

Listening to a variety of music with an emphasis on classic rock I wonder if the smoothness of the V3 won't be lost in the mix. My source materials are all.wav files of Japanese masters, Audio Fidelity, MFSL, etc. I suppose the benchmark for me is to have Steely Dan sound fuller than it does on the National CLAS -R pairing. 

The one thing that sticks out in my mind is the ALO reply that the Rx-MK3 B+ has a more clinical sound: do you find that to be true with your set-up?

Oct 5, 2013 at 8:30 AM Post #675 of 1,084

The one thing that sticks out in my mind is the ALO reply that the Rx-MK3 B+ has a more clinical sound: do you find that to be true with your set-up?

I can't speak for heat on the Continental, but I do not have any heat issues with my stack.  I seems I listen the same way you do, out of a messenger bag.  I have an iPod Touch, Rx Mk3 (not B+), and CLAS-db wrapped in a Black Star case, and there is no heating up at all.

As for sound, I would say "even" is the word I would use to describe it, and there's plenty of power in reserve.  And when I use the HD650s, I tend to hit the bass knob to warm the sound a touch, with the gain switched to the middle setting.

Granted, I'm using my HD25s or DT1350s on the go.  But I don't see the HD650 changing the fact if that's what you'll travel with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back