Astell&Kern Launches New A&norma SR35 Player
Apr 6, 2023 at 7:45 PM Post #46 of 605
Four channels of DAC? I've not personally researched, so I'll ask here: why?

Oh, and I also like the "crooked case". I wanted to be able to afford an A240 simply for that. It's not new to A&K. I guess I'm as much a dinosaur as A&K's UI designers. I don't mind the poor streaming support or how long it takes to scan a modified library. I don't even notice the slow scrolls. Much of that is in how I use my DAP, though.
Interesting. Do you just hit play and run it all day?

Apr 7, 2023 at 4:46 AM Post #50 of 605
POOR. Not enough power ouput for full size headphones, only 2Vrms SE and 4Vrms Balanced... :frowning2:
It’s 2v s/e and 4v balanced on low gain.
It’s 3v s/e and 6v balanced on high gain.

This would be enough for any headphone your likely too pair with the SR35.
You want to listen to music with it not be able to weld.

Apr 7, 2023 at 6:48 AM Post #51 of 605
edit: ok something went wrong with my post here lol, let's see if I can fix it. edit2: ok nvm, I'll go again:

Anyway: @JasonNYC this looks very interesting already.. my only gripe with the SR25 is the interface/UI - there are a dozen things about it that just make no sense for a player with some of the best build quality and audio quality that I have ever heard..

So I can immediately see from the image there a couple of them are fixed.. the floating (sometimes disappearing) back "<" button appears to now be fixed (in position), the touch-drag to fast forward bar is now visible and and in the middle of the screen which is normal.. back on the SR25 it is first of all invisible, but if you somehow figure out that it is actually there between the cover art and the elapsed time numbers, it is like.. 4 pixels thick so you have to try and hit it a couple of times to catch it.. all of which is just so strange..

There are other key things I would want, for example an option to disable the external buttons.. If you design a player to be portable that implies (to me anyway) it is designed to be used on the go. Now if you put buttons on it that protrude from the player you need to provide an option to disable them in the software.. I've lost track of how many times I've sat down on the underground/stood up/got bumped into/lifted my leg and unintentionally changed track/paused the music or even sometimes turned off the player in my pocket because the buttons get pressed so easily when I wear jeans..

Anyway there are a few other things about the UI/interface that imo could be improved as well but to be clear: The SR25 is an absolutely stellar piece of equiment in every other aspect (sound quality, build quality etc).. so this leads me to wonder:

Will this interface redesign perhaps drop for the SR25 with a firmware update at some point as well? Because that would be absolutely amazing for me.

Thanks

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2023 at 7:51 AM Post #54 of 605
Interesting. Do you just hit play and run it all day?
A version of that. I use my DAP for mobile listening only. I load up a couple of hundred tracks at a time and then listen to them in shuffle mode. When I've gone through that list I remove all those tracks and replace them with a new batch. I am way more forgiving of slow or weird UI than those of you who use your DAPs as your main listening devices, let alone all of you who keep your whole libraries on your DAPs and use them for management and searches.

I still can't see a benefit to four DACs. I can understand at least the theoretical benefit of two DACs, but not four (at least in a two-channel system).

I'm looking forward to hearing impressions and especially comparisons with old A&K players. I still use an A&K Jr in the car and an A&K 70 Mk II.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2023 at 9:03 AM Post #55 of 605
A version of that. I use my DAP for mobile listening only. I load up a couple of hundred tracks at a time and then listen to them in shuffle mode. When I've gone through that list I remove all those tracks and replace them with a new batch. I am way more forgiving of slow or weird UI than those of you who use your DAPs as your main listening devices, let alone all of you who keep your whole libraries on your DAPs and use them for management and searches.

I still can't see a benefit to four DACs. I can understand at least the theoretical benefit of two DACs, but not four (at least in a two-channel system).

I'm looking forward to hearing impressions and especially comparisons with old A&K players. I still use an A&K Jr in the car and an A&K 70 Mk II.
early impression from china is that four dac = true full force power, while two dac = power saving mode... most of the details, power and ss had been scaled down if using 2 dac only..

Apr 7, 2023 at 10:37 AM Post #59 of 605
To get some battery life out of it.
What’s the point of it being mega powerful and only lasting a hour?
In the days past most would get a DAP and strap it/ stack it to a portable amp for when you needed the extra power... whats wrong with having a DAP and then a matching amp to strap on and stack if you need the extra power... seems A&K are missing out on having a matching amp to stack..

Apr 7, 2023 at 10:39 AM Post #60 of 605
In the days past most would get a DAP and strap it/ stack it to a portable amp for when you needed the extra power... whats wrong with having a DAP and then a matching amp to strap on and stack if you need the extra power... seems A&K are missing out on having a matching amp to stack..
What like the one they just released.
The AK PA10.

I use a Vorzuge Pure ii+ as a portable amp.
Fantastic little amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back