Astell&Kern Launches New A&norma SR35 Player
Apr 7, 2023 at 5:38 PM Post #64 of 605
It has 3 levels of gain and you can adjust the current output.
Yup. Remember, there are two halves to power output, voltage and current. For considering power: 2Vx6A = 6Vx2A = 12Vx1A. You can't judge an amp's power output knowing only it's voltage capability. To that end, I looked at A&K's website, but didn't see a power rating for the amp section. I was looking for something which said, "xxx mW". Seems odd to me. https://www.astellnkern.com/product/product_detail.jsp?productNo=143

Though I saw a block diagram for the audio circuit: quad-DAC architecture: one channel of DAC for each leg of a balanced stereo signal. Seems fraught with opportunity to having timing errors/ jitter between the channels/ phases. Of course, that's just one of a nearly infinite number of reasons I don't design electronics. :) Really, I wasn't trolling, just curious.

the kann series is REALLY powerful. And battery isn't too bad.
If the Kann can produce 12V and high current and maintain long battery life, that goes a long way to explaining it's unfriendliness to pockets.

Apr 7, 2023 at 6:11 PM Post #65 of 605
Yup. Remember, there are two halves to power output, voltage and current. For considering power: 2Vx6A = 6Vx2A = 12Vx1A. You can't judge an amp's power output knowing only it's voltage capability. To that end, I looked at A&K's website, but didn't see a power rating for the amp section. I was looking for something which said, "xxx mW". Seems odd to me. https://www.astellnkern.com/product/product_detail.jsp?productNo=143

Though I saw a block diagram for the audio circuit: quad-DAC architecture: one channel of DAC for each leg of a balanced stereo signal. Seems fraught with opportunity to having timing errors/ jitter between the channels/ phases. Of course, that's just one of a nearly infinite number of reasons I don't design electronics. :) Really, I wasn't trolling, just curious.

If the Kann can produce 12V and high current and maintain long battery life, that goes a long way to explaining it's unfriendliness to pockets.
I’m not sure the Kann can do 12v with out being plugged into the mains?
Maybe it can but I would think it’s gets hot?
It’s also quite a bit larger than this SR35 .
Think there aimed at different use cases.

Apr 7, 2023 at 8:40 PM Post #66 of 605
Then only difference between the SR25 and the SR25 MK II was the addition of the 4.4mm balanced out. The battery capacity and battery life was exactly the same. It was a little over a year between the SR25 and MK II. It is almost 2 years since the SR25 MK II was released.
It was significant improvement for me as someone who already moved on from 2.5mm to 4.4mm.
The battery capacity slightly better than SR25. I bought it few couple month after SR25 released in 2020. Around early 2021. And AK released MK II in the same year. i though it would be 2 years apart or maybe 1.5 years apart. I felt toyed back there (this is personal feeling XD), since you only enjoyed the DAP not even a year.

i just checked your head-fi post about SR25 and SR25 MK II. And I'm right about it. SR25 MK II released in 2021 while SR25 released in 2020

Apr 7, 2023 at 8:47 PM Post #67 of 605
I don't think SR35 purposely made to drive a high impedance headphones. You don't plug Planar headphones or HD800 in it and blast the volume up to 120 with high gain setting or other settings. KANN and Norma are different series while KANN for portable DAP with high amount of capability to drive a headphone, Norma is only for IEM and low to medicore impedance headphones. Even, the dimension is different too. KANN is bulky like a brick and Norma is slim and compct.

Apr 7, 2023 at 11:25 PM Post #68 of 605
It was significant improvement for me as someone who already moved on from 2.5mm to 4.4mm.
The battery capacity slightly better than SR25. I bought it few couple month after SR25 released in 2020. Around early 2021. And AK released MK II in the same year. i though it would be 2 years apart or maybe 1.5 years apart. I felt toyed back there (this is personal feeling XD), since you only enjoyed the DAP not even a year.

i just checked your head-fi post about SR25 and SR25 MK II. And I'm right about it. SR25 MK II released in 2021 while SR25 released in 2020
SR25 May 2020, SR25 MKii November 2021, so is around 1.5 year (within your date range), you bought it late does not reflect actual launch date gap... not sure about the battery, since I cannot find battery comparison videos between both device in brand new condition (you cannot compare a used SR25 and a brand new SR25 MKii's battery since it not fair)

Apr 8, 2023 at 3:34 AM Post #69 of 605
SR25 May 2020, SR25 MKii November 2021, so is around 1.5 year (within your date range), you bought it late does not reflect actual launch date gap... not sure about the battery, since I cannot find battery comparison videos between both device in brand new condition (you cannot compare a used SR25 and a brand new SR25 MKii's battery since it not fair)
Yeah..
Still i was pretty much mad about that. it was significant outcome at the hard time. It took 3 years saving to bought SR25 and feel like wasted away. Even after i managed to sold SR25 and choose WM1A, the bitter taste still tasted on my tongue back there. I'm interested with SR35 but, i'm going to wait for SR35 MK II. Hopefully AK will offer a significant upgrade.

Apr 8, 2023 at 6:06 AM Post #71 of 605
Yeah..
Still i was pretty much mad about that. it was significant outcome at the hard time. It took 3 years saving to bought SR25 and feel like wasted away. Even after i managed to sold SR25 and choose WM1A, the bitter taste still tasted on my tongue back there. I'm interested with SR35 but, i'm going to wait for SR35 MK II. Hopefully AK will offer a significant upgrade.
Honestly I dont think there is a SR35 MKII since SR25 MKII adding a 4.4mm and SR35 have all the port.. what else can they add? From your POV, what is the differences between SR25 MKI and MKII that bothers you? beside the obvious 4.4mm and not sure how much better is the battery life?

Apr 8, 2023 at 8:59 AM Post #74 of 605
Honestly I dont think there is a SR35 MKII since SR25 MKII adding a 4.4mm and SR35 have all the port.. what else can they add? From your POV, what is the differences between SR25 MKI and MKII that bothers you? beside the obvious 4.4mm and not sure how much better is the battery life?
Dunno.
There must be SR35 MK II. Just like back then AK70 got an upgrade to AK70 MK II and AK SR15 to SR25 and SR25 MK II. I do believe there will be SR35 MK II.
I don't know what are they going to add as upgrade or selling point. Maybe premium DAC? or output power? Design?, I don't know. time will tell.

Apr 8, 2023 at 9:02 AM Post #75 of 605
I’m not sure the Kann can do 12v with out being plugged into the mains?
Maybe it can but I would think it’s gets hot?
It’s also quite a bit larger than this SR35 .
Think there aimed at different use cases.
I can't comment about that, I've never owned any of the Kanns. My point was there's only so much you can do with current technology to make things small. If you want high power output you can have a small battery or long battery life, but not both (you can only "fit" so many Joules in a given volume). Likewise, if you want a small DAP you can either have high power output or long battery life, but not both.

One of my buddies has an early Kann and loves it. But he also carries and "audio bag" with him, so his Kann is never in his pocket.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back