Astell&Kern To Debut SP3000T DAP and NOVUS IEMs at CanJam NYC 2024
Mar 5, 2024 at 6:05 PM Post #61 of 91
A couple of press release articles:

https://www.ecoustics.com/products/astell-kern-sp3000t-novus/

https://darko.audio/2024/02/astellkerns-sp3000t-is-a-dap-with-tubes-inside/

Interesting that price is less than SP3000. Also, a dual AKM 4499EX DAC configuration vs. quad AKM 4499EX's in the SP3000. I wonder if they've been able to tame the tube crackling that you hear between tracks with the SP2000T when you're in tube or hybrid mode?
No tube crackling on my SP2000T, just an almost imperceptible hiss with very sensitive items.

Mar 5, 2024 at 6:20 PM Post #62 of 91
This is gonna be another bad harsh sounding dap like 2000t,these models will never sound good like a flagship unit , they are tuning them to be inferior sounding and I had the sp2000t. I preferred the sa700. Now I have sp3000 and I am happy.
I don't know what headphones you used, or your settings and source (streaming, etc.), but with my headphones and IEMs (LSA Diamond, Monarch Mk. 3, EVO…).

Mar 8, 2024 at 2:48 PM Post #63 of 91
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cay...circuit-debut-at-canjam-new-york-2024.971920/

I recommend a very interesting post in the thread about DAP Cayin N3Ultra, released in April.(~$529)
N3Ultra uses the same pentode lamps in the amount of 2 pieces - RAYTHEON JAN6418,
which are to be used in May 2024 in the Astell&Kern SP3000T DAP (~$1500)

The manufacturer's description shows that 2 pieces do not provide a balanced mode, so 4 such lamps are necessary.
JAN6418 tubes are much more sensitive to vibrations than Korg Nutube
and more susceptible to WiFi interference- and this is the reason to get rid of streaming and BT???
(I remember because I had noise in SP2000T at 5GHz).

I am more and more curious whether the noise and WiFi problems that existed in the SP2000T
have been improved in the SP3000T.

Perhaps the 3x higher price gives hope for a more refined DAP.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2024 at 12:58 AM Post #65 of 91
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cay...circuit-debut-at-canjam-new-york-2024.971920/

I recommend a very interesting post in the thread about DAP Cayin N3Ultra, released in April.(~$529)
N3Ultra uses the same pentode lamps in the amount of 2 pieces - RAYTHEON JAN6418,
which are to be used in May 2024 in the Astell&Kern SP3000T DAP (~$1500)

The manufacturer's description shows that 2 pieces do not provide a balanced mode, so 4 such lamps are necessary.
JAN6418 tubes are much more sensitive to vibrations than Korg Nutube
and more susceptible to WiFi interference- and this is the reason to get rid of streaming and BT???
(I remember because I had noise in SP2000T at 5GHz).

I am more and more curious whether the noise and WiFi problems that existed in the SP2000T
have been improved in the SP3000T.

Perhaps the 3x higher price gives hope for a more refined DAP.
Very interesting, indeed. Thanks for sharing.

I find the Cayin post very informative, unlike the AK one. I also have the SP2000T and yes, the artefacts are there when streaming. Turning the WiFi off, which means downloading the content rather than streaming, fixes the problem. Sudden movements also induce some artefacts, so I don't use the tube amp when walking. Anyway, I have a smaller Hiby player for walks.

BTW, the announced price of the AK wasn't 2999? I see it already in Europe at 3400 Eur, that's significantly more expensive than the Cayin N3 Ultra. I was planning on getting it, but now that the Cayin was announced, I'm having second thoughts. I reckon the Cayin will be sold out immediately, so I won't have too much time to think about it.

Mar 9, 2024 at 1:26 AM Post #66 of 91
Very interesting, indeed. Thanks for sharing.

I find the Cayin post very informative, unlike the AK one. I also have the SP2000T and yes, the artefacts are there when streaming. Turning the WiFi off, which means downloading the content rather than streaming, fixes the problem. Sudden movements also induce some artefacts, so I don't use the tube amp when walking. Anyway, I have a smaller Hiby player for walks.

BTW, the announced price of the AK wasn't 2999? I see it already in Europe at 3400 Eur, that's significantly more expensive than the Cayin N3 Ultra. I was planning on getting it, but now that the Cayin was announced, I'm having second thoughts. I reckon the Cayin will be sold out immediately, so I won't have too much time to think about it.
I think the $2999 was a dollar price for the US. The €3400 is either because of currency exchange rates or includes VAT. Or not. In which case smile if you are a US citizen.

Mar 9, 2024 at 2:27 AM Post #67 of 91
I think the $2999 was a dollar price for the US. The €3400 is either because of currency exchange rates or includes VAT. Or not. In which case smile if you are a US citizen.
You're right, of course. And the Cayin will probably be priced accordingly in Europe, around 700 Eur. That's still almost 5 times less than the AK 3000T. I was eyeing the SP3000, so for the same money I could buy both the 3000T and N3 Ultra, even though it probably doesn't make much sense. As an AK fanboy, it'll boil down to SP3000T vs SP3000.

Mar 9, 2024 at 2:39 AM Post #68 of 91
You're right, of course. And the Cayin will probably be priced accordingly in Europe, around 700 Eur. That's still almost 5 times less than the AK 3000T. I was eyeing the SP3000, so for the same money I could buy both the 3000T and N3 Ultra, even though it probably doesn't make much sense. As an AK fanboy, it'll boil down to SP3000T vs SP3000.
I would wait until you get feedback from users who’ve tried the SP3000T for confirmation of how much it’s moved on, or not, from the 2000T. Users who buy the DAP for home use e.g. in a small desk space, might get good use out of it, but if you’re a full-on mobile user it could be unusable if it has the same problems. I’m also an A&K committed user since buying the Junior a few (too many) years ago. I still have the SP2000Cu but it’s now only as a back up to my SP3000. I’ve never felt the need to try one of the other brands, nor to go in search of ‘tubes’ character. I tried the SP2000T and it did nothing for me. I’m very happy with the SP3000 and don’t need another DAP. However if my dealer calls and say he has something I should listen to then I’m always open for business.

Mar 9, 2024 at 8:39 AM Post #70 of 91
I would wait until you get feedback from users who’ve tried the SP3000T for confirmation of how much it’s moved on, or not, from the 2000T. Users who buy the DAP for home use e.g. in a small desk space, might get good use out of it, but if you’re a full-on mobile user it could be unusable if it has the same problems. I’m also an A&K committed user since buying the Junior a few (too many) years ago. I still have the SP2000Cu but it’s now only as a back up to my SP3000. I’ve never felt the need to try one of the other brands, nor to go in search of ‘tubes’ character. I tried the SP2000T and it did nothing for me. I’m very happy with the SP3000 and don’t need another DAP. However if my dealer calls and say he has something I should listen to then I’m always open for business.
You said you don‘t need another DAP…wait until the SP4000 comes out.🤣 I hope they implement R2R technology in it but this thread is about the SP3000T so I digress.

Happy listening!

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2024 at 4:38 AM Post #72 of 91
You said you don‘t need another DAP…wait until the SP4000 comes out.🤣 I hope they implement RTR technology in it but this thread is about the SP3000T so I digress.

Happy listening!
Yes you’re right. I use a Holo May in my main system and would be intrigued if A&K decided to use the R2R DAC from the SE300, or an upgrade from it, when the SP4000 eventually arrives. Apologies also for the digression but I do mention the SP3000T in this post. 😇

Mar 10, 2024 at 7:55 AM Post #73 of 91

Users who are viewing this thread

Back