Audio-Gd R-28 impressions thread
Mar 9, 2024 at 2:47 PM Post #1,581 of 1,607
Which HP? Planar? dynamic?

I ask because I bought R28 to drive hekv2 but the setup combined with my sensitivity to highs triggered tinnitus. I’m returning hekv2 and giving XTC2 with custom tuning a try.

Now thinking ahead to if and how my dac amp setup should change if at all
All of them. Both planar and dynamic. I love love love my XTC2 on the R28NOS. Especially with biowool driver with the soft fuzzy pads with the inside cut out. Both the XTC2 and R28NOS can benefit from and open up after playing a while.

Mar 9, 2024 at 3:21 PM Post #1,583 of 1,607
That’s awesome news!
I'll say this. I liked them so much that I'm keeping them and not giving them as a gift. They're such a wild unique headphone. To me they're basically the complete opposite of obsessively clinical headphones like Hifiman HE1000Stealth or Focal clear. I've been trying to write up a review of them but it's hard to compare them to others so don;t hold your breath on me releasing that any time soon. If you are looking for one headphone to do everything perfectly I would not recommend these. I don't believe one headphone will do everything perfectly anywhere close to the $1000 price point. If you want a very unique wonderful pair to be part of a collection in which each pair does a certain job incredibly well, I would 1000000% recommend these.

Mar 11, 2024 at 4:42 PM Post #1,584 of 1,607
Hey all!
I just picked up a used R28 2022 and I am loving it. Seriously I now wish I had jumped into Audio-GD gear years ago.
I do have a question. How can I tell if my unit has the most up to date firmware? Is is related to the code it flashes on startup? I tried flashing the firmware, and the code hasn't changed, so I can't tell if I'm at the latest or not. I should also say that I'm referring to the FPGA firmware, and not the USB. I'm using the I2S connection, so I assume the firmware USB shouldn't matter.
Oh, and I'm sorry if the answer is elsewhere on this thread. I looked for it, but couldn't find it in the 106 pages of content.

Mar 12, 2024 at 10:19 AM Post #1,585 of 1,607
Hey all!
I just picked up a used R28 2022 and I am loving it. Seriously I now wish I had jumped into Audio-GD gear years ago.
I do have a question. How can I tell if my unit has the most up to date firmware? Is is related to the code it flashes on startup? I tried flashing the firmware, and the code hasn't changed, so I can't tell if I'm at the latest or not. I should also say that I'm referring to the FPGA firmware, and not the USB. I'm using the I2S connection, so I assume the firmware USB shouldn't matter.
Oh, and I'm sorry if the answer is elsewhere on this thread. I looked for it, but couldn't find it in the 106 pages of content.
The only way one can tell is to flash the firmware of choice to the DAC and hear the difference. If you have flashed it once, just pick another/earlier firmware and listen to the music. But if you had tried the latest and you like the quality, it is likely one of the best. To some extent, the firmware is also hardware and music presentation preference dependent for some versions. One may find a certain one more suitable for his system, while you may like another one. So, you may want to try out a few.

Mar 12, 2024 at 10:51 AM Post #1,586 of 1,607
The only way one can tell is to flash the firmware of choice to the DAC and hear the difference. If you have flashed it once, just pick another/earlier firmware and listen to the music. But if you had tried the latest and you like the quality, it is likely one of the best. To some extent, the firmware is also hardware and music presentation preference dependent for some versions. One may find a certain one more suitable for his system, while you may like another one. So, you may want to try out a few.
Thanks for the info. Since it sounds good to me with what I flashed onto the device, I guess I'll keep it as is.

Mar 12, 2024 at 11:27 AM Post #1,587 of 1,607
I bought R- 28 NOS to drive Hifiman HE1000V2 which I am now having to return as it was triggering tinnitus for me (seeing an Audiologist today to look into more serious hearing issues). The R28 unit is less than a month old and has about 300 hours of burn in which is the suggested manufacturer amount and it is just now coming into its full potential. I’m considering selling it. DM me if you are interested.

Mar 12, 2024 at 4:28 PM Post #1,588 of 1,607
I bought R- 28 NOS to drive Hifiman HE1000V2 which I am now having to return as it was triggering tinnitus for me (seeing an Audiologist today to look into more serious hearing issues). The R28 unit is less than a month old and has about 300 hours of burn in which is the suggested manufacturer amount and it is just now coming into its full potential. I’m considering selling it. DM me if you are interested.
Might be the HE1000v2, might benefit you to look into selling them instead. I have the HE1000 stealth and as amazing as they are there are times they are too sharp for me to enjoy them. That sharpness and edginess is what at times can exasperate tinnitus.

Mar 12, 2024 at 4:50 PM Post #1,589 of 1,607
Might be the HE1000v2, might benefit you to look into selling them instead. I have the HE1000 stealth and as amazing as they are there are times they are too sharp for me to enjoy them. That sharpness and edginess is what at times can exasperate tinnitus.
oh for sure, that wheel is already in motion! Audiologist confirmed today that TMJ can also be the culprit, again which in my case is triggered by he1000v2. I love them, but have to let go.

Mar 12, 2024 at 5:05 PM Post #1,590 of 1,607
oh for sure, that wheel is already in motion! Audiologist confirmed today that TMJ can also be the culprit, again which in my case is triggered by he1000v2. I love them, but have to let go.
Oh dang. I went through the whole dual jaw surgery years ago because u was having terrible TMJ and other related issues. Best of luck with all that.

I have monoblock amps for my movie watching/hifi and recently moved the R28NOS in the room. Not I get R28NOS goodness with gaming, tv, and music to sound amazing on headphones and speakers. Sell the R28 if you need but if you’re still on the fence, connect it to a two channel system and see what you think. Personally I love it. Might give you a reason to keep it around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back