Aune S17 pro
Mar 26, 2024 at 8:58 PM Post #1,951 of 2,219
Tbh I don't feel that I had to address any of your points because you're clearly not arguing in good faith. I'm really sorry if you had a bad experience and/or got a bad S17 and/or you didn't get what you where expecting from this product, it happens unfortunately, but I do no feel that I can keep wasting time casting pearls before swine.
Maybe there's some misunderstanding because I'm not actually trying to argue with you per se, I'm merely using your points as a stepping stone to express my thoughts and concern with this product, it just so happens that mine are in contradition with yours.
And not arguing in good faith? Come on man, in the 2 days since my original post you called me an illiterate, a lair, a troll and responded in the first person to replies that wasn't even directed at you.
I have never once said this was a bad product, in fact if you would look at the very first few posts, you would see that I was interested in since its introduction. The fact that I took a gamble and bought an unit second hand with no warranty says something.
Again, it's not saying what your implying AT ALL, AGAIN, FOR THE SECOND TIME, because I already address this SAME POINT YET AGAIN, if you read the entirety of what I say, it's completely clear that I was pointing to double standards and bias in this hobby, that's all. I was not in anyway exculpating bad business practices or manufactures selling bad products.
Again maybe we have an misunderstanding and maybe its the way I expressed my concern and I apologize for that. What I'm trying to say is that I get there is a double standard and bias in the industry. While products from certain manufacturers may have comparable or greater issues, it seems Aune disproportionately receives criticism. However, the lack of scrutiny on other manufacturers does not justify overlooking Aune’s product flaws.
I have nothing against Aune, in fact, I have owned X1S, S7 and those were great products with no issues. Its just with the S17 pro, I'm voicing my concern to what I percieve as an design and/or QC issue, and I'm wrong? So be it.
Anyways, since I don't own the unit anymore, I will be moving on from this thread. I hope Aune has been listening in and will bring even better products in the future, I mean its the critisims that help us grow right?.
Happy listening everyone.

Mar 27, 2024 at 3:03 AM Post #1,953 of 2,219
Taller feet might have solved some of the issue as well.

Mar 27, 2024 at 6:57 AM Post #1,956 of 2,219
Reading through recent discussions, I'm glad I didn't follow this thread earlier as I probably would have skipped this amp. But I didn't, and I'm extremely satisfied with the performance I got for the equivalent of $650. Of course, I wouldn't be so enthusiastic if I encountered temperature or volume issues, but thankfully there're none, so I'm coming from a perspective of a problem-free unit.

This amp sounds fantastic with my neutral/bright headphones, like HiFiMan planars. When I really enjoy a passage, I sometimes compare the S17 to my EF400 used purely as a DAC since acquiring the Aune. Its amplifier section, as good as it is, can't compete with the S17. It's clearly outclassed on multiple levels - and that's using HiFiMan headphones it was designed for.

I just bough DAN Clark's Aeon Closed X to replace my Audio Technicas MSR7B and complement my Arya Stealth. Can't wait to hear how they sound on the S17 Pro.

Mar 27, 2024 at 12:28 PM Post #1,957 of 2,219
I don't agree completely in regards to removing the temperature gauge from the UI on the amp would've solved the issues and complains people have, it would probably compounded the confusion with users when and if the amp suddenly switch from 100ma to 50ma and they have no indication of why and how, so at least you have some control over it. I understand some people get anxious because of this, but once you understand this is completely normal and the amp it's functioning as intended, then I don't see a problem with this, it's actually helpful in that regard for troubleshooting, specially if you're using cooling fans to regulate the temps on your amp.

The feet situation I agree completely, putting some little taller feet like the Topping A70 pro would have probably been enough to address 95%+ of the temp issues, instead of the tiny little rubber feet.

Mar 31, 2024 at 6:39 AM Post #1,958 of 2,219
I got those very power hungry Raal Ca1a headphones a few days ago. They sound really good with Aune, but the suitable vol needed is between 56-60 (max 63).
I'd be thankfull to share if somebody has experiences of driving Aune with headphones needing a lot of power. I've got some concerns of using Aune for longer times with so high levels.

Mar 31, 2024 at 2:58 PM Post #1,963 of 2,219
This is a bit off topic, but a short notice on Raal ca1a and Aune if someone is interested. I've got Mitch Barnett's Hang Loose Convolver and Raal neutral filter sets on trial period. With these the sound is ideally balanced, but the sound level seems to be slightly under compared Raals without these filters on.
For example I'm now listening with filters on, Aune vol is 56 and DAC vol at -5 level. My normal listening level. Plenty of headroom to use!

Mar 31, 2024 at 4:44 PM Post #1,964 of 2,219
I got those very power hungry Raal Ca1a headphones a few days ago. They sound really good with Aune, but the suitable vol needed is between 56-60 (max 63).
I'd be thankfull to share if somebody has experiences of driving Aune with headphones needing a lot of power. I've got some concerns of using Aune for longer times with so high levels.
If you search this thread you're gonna find that some people that had the version of this amp that had the previous problematic firmware where the volume was really uneven recommended maxing out the volume on the amp and pre-amping it with your dac if it has pre-amp, variable output volume control or digitally controlling it with your digital source, there's really no problem in doing this, I tried it with my own DAC but I stopped doing it because my DAC does it in the digital realm and I don't trust it that much, specially with more sensitive and less demanding cans, but it worked but I ended prefering the sound controlling it with the amps own volume pot.

You can try this method out and see if it gives you the best performance out of your Raals.

Mar 31, 2024 at 5:34 PM Post #1,965 of 2,219
If you search this thread you're gonna find that some people that had the version of this amp that had the previous problematic firmware where the volume was really uneven recommended maxing out the volume on the amp and pre-amping it with your dac if it has pre-amp, variable output volume control or digitally controlling it with your digital source, there's really no problem in doing this, I tried it with my own DAC but I stopped doing it because my DAC does it in the digital realm and I don't trust it that much, specially with more sensitive and less demanding cans, but it worked but I ended prefering the sound controlling it with the amps own volume pot.

You can try this method out and see if it gives you the best performance out of your Raals.
Thanks, I got older firmware with too coarse vol adjustment. Gustard r26 DAC has vol adjustment with suitable scale. Aune has to operate in 55+ levels, but luckily there's plenty of headroom left. And as MiguelP said, for Aune it's the same what level one uses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back