Aune S9c Pro - Impressions thread
Oct 11, 2023 at 1:59 PM Post #32 of 83
This kind of operation is not possible in the Aune S9c Pro because the headphone amplifier is true balanced. In the other devices you mentioned the headphone output is single ended only.
I believe the HiFIMAN EF-400 also accomplishes simultaneous headphone output + line out and it is truly balanced, at least that is my understanding -- in any case, I trust the reviewers who have reviewed this beast so far and I am confident it will do very well in the market, and the fact it doesn't fit my use case is just my problem, no biggie. :)

Oh yes, the new iFi Neo iDSD2 also supports headphone + line out simultaneously and I'm pretty sure it is also truly balanced. But I get that the manufacturers make design decisions based on many factors and they know their market well, and I definitely still want to hear S9c with my ears. :)

Oct 11, 2023 at 2:12 PM Post #33 of 83
I believe the HiFIMAN EF-400 also accomplishes simultaneous headphone output + line out and it is truly balanced, at least that is my understanding -- in any case, I trust the reviewers who have reviewed this beast so far and I am confident it will do very well in the market, and the fact it doesn't fit my use case is just my problem, no biggie. :)

Oh yes, the new iFi Neo iDSD2 also supports headphone + line out simultaneously and I'm pretty sure it is also truly balanced. But I get that the manufacturers make design decisions based on many factors and they know their market well, and I definitely still want to hear S9c with my ears. :)
If it is not a problem of the hardware implementation then we may ask @AuneAudio to implement this feature with a firmware update.

Oct 12, 2023 at 4:05 AM Post #34 of 83
@trellus and everyone else interested.

I have mailed Aune audio about the simultaneous output of the headphone and line outputs and this is their answer:

"Due to the electronic design, it's not possible for the S9c Pro to support simultaneous output of headphone out and line out."

Oct 12, 2023 at 6:32 AM Post #35 of 83
@trellus and everyone else interested.

I have mailed Aune audio about the simultaneous output of the headphone and line outputs and this is their answer:

"Due to the electronic design, it's not possible for the S9c Pro to support simultaneous output of headphone out and line out."
Thanks for reaching out to them and getting a definitive answer. I suspected that might be the case and it makes sense.

Oct 22, 2023 at 2:30 AM Post #36 of 83
I picked up an S9C today. I am pairing it off with the MDR-Z1Rs. For some time, I have been searching for a step up from my old workhouse, the iFi iDSD Micro BL. While the Mico has served me well, and sounds great, I wanted something that had more resolution, a larger soundstage, and a tad more presence - something that would take the MDRs closer to their full potential.

I had my eye on the new Neo, but once I had a chance to demo the S9C, the search was over. I have only had a couple hours at home with it, but initial impressions are extremely positive. I will share more impressions once I get some more time in.

Oct 23, 2023 at 2:16 AM Post #37 of 83
I have some impressions. I am going to focus on a few key areas over the next few posts, each with a focus on a particular song.

Setup
Sony MDR-Z1R with the stock 4.4mm balanced cable. Spotify Connect via a Wiim Mini connected to the Aune with Toslink. Mode 2 set on the Aune. No EQ.

1 - Soundstage

This was one of the qualities I was hoping to improve upon coming from the iFi iDSD Micro BL. I decided to start my journey with Traingazing - Sam Wills & Honey Mooncie. I was immediately met with significantly more spacial information than I was used to. The increase in width and depth was more than I hoped for.

There is a muted electric guitar that sets the bounds in the right channel while a soft synth pad fills the space behind Sam's vocals in the left. A driving high-hat pairs off perfectly with a punchy kick and deep bass line. Every element was perfectly placed and distinct; there was a lot of space between instruments. Then the chorus hit...goosebumps! The space between the instruments is filled to perfection with a saturated vocal harmony, yet all the space is still there, I can still focus on any unique element as desired. There is just a fabulous cohesion here in the stage. Honestly the Aune presents a massive improvement over the iFi in terms of soundstage, particularly in width - the Z1Rs are shining here. It is clear that the Aune was engineered with musicality in mind, as I will elaborate on in coming posts.

Nov 4, 2023 at 7:34 AM Post #40 of 83
Just a quick update. Been really loving the S9C with the my IE600s. While I have found them a tad metallic on other sources, the S9C tames that with a pleasant smoothness, yet the details remain. The S9C has an excellent musicality and timbre - there is some special here for sure.
No background noise with the IE600?

Nov 11, 2023 at 11:06 AM Post #41 of 83
Been enjoying the Aune s9c pro for the last week. Sounds excellent especially in Mode 2. The best DAC I have is the Denafrips Pontus II 12th ed, and the s9c manages to almost match it. Quite good given the substantial price difference between the two units. Headphone output also impressive with Hifiman Sundara. Only slight negative is that the screen brightness level cannot be adjusted in any way.

Nov 14, 2023 at 5:26 PM Post #42 of 83
Dear friends here is my detailed review of the Aune S17 Pro review.
IMG_20231112_110436-wm-266841.69999999925_watermarked.jpg

Nov 14, 2023 at 6:26 PM Post #43 of 83
Dear friends here is my detailed review of the Aune S17 Pro review.
That is a nice review. I see you have it stacked up with S9C pro. Got a quick questions
1. If you use remote on the stack, how do they behave? The remote for S9c and S17 looks same and was wondering if it plays nice by remember which remote is for which unit or is it just any infrared meaning you might end up triggering both units?
2. How do you find amp differences between embedded S9C vs S17? Thanks!

Nov 15, 2023 at 1:39 AM Post #44 of 83
That is a nice review. I see you have it stacked up with S9C pro. Got a quick questions
1. If you use remote on the stack, how do they behave? The remote for S9c and S17 looks same and was wondering if it plays nice by remember which remote is for which unit or is it just any infrared meaning you might end up triggering both units?
2. How do you find amp differences between embedded S9C vs S17? Thanks!
Thank you.

Each device has its own remote control and you can't use one to control both of them. So you need two remote controls.

Please have a look at my Aune S9c Pro review.

https://ichos-reviews.com/aune-s9c-pro-review/

Both devices share the same sound philosophy behind their tuning. The S9C Pro is excellent and very competitive all-in-one device with marvelous headphone output but the S17 Pro sounds and scales better.

Now, if you are asking if I would go with the S9C Pro alone or together with the S17 Pro, this is really difficult to answer. I like the S9C Pro as it is but the combo sounds a little better. But if I was to buy the S17 Pro then I would invest in a better and more sophisticated DAC than the S9C Pro.
The DAC portion of the S9C Pro is really good but you can do better for the money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back