Aune S9c Pro - Impressions thread
Dec 2, 2023 at 10:45 AM Post #47 of 82
I read the volume control is digital. Does this mean that it uses the DAC for this and the amplification is always the same? I think an analogue volume adjustement is much better. You should always go with 100 % of the digital signal in the amp.

Jan 7, 2024 at 12:39 AM Post #50 of 82
Sharing my impressions of my new AUNE S9C

I'm on day 2 with my S9c and it's really impressive. Listening to my LCD-2f now, some HD600 and Audio technica WP900 yesterday. With this Aune, it's growing increasingly clear that it is giving your headphones pure uncolored sound and ample power. It really allows you to realize the true potential of your headphones. My LCD-2 is sounding unreal, like it could trade blows with anything triple its price point. My HD600 sounds good but not how I like them; they are the one headphone I've come across that likes to have coloration in the sound ex. from a tube amp. That headphone is much more palpable with my tube setup. Aune got a lot of things right here. Looks are perfect and so is the build quality. The finish of the case is soft to the touch when its room temp and really pretty too.

This is my first ESS DAC and I've never heard a soundstage presented in this way before; it's natural, wide, and active. The music is not hindered at all when moving around the headspace, extremely fluid. The stage is like being in the middle of the orchestra hall. Tight bass, present mids, balanced highs with a good amount of sparkle. Splendid timbre especially in the highs. Very revealing and accurate. It leans analytical with most music but I would go as far to say that a lot of music is inherently analytical at its core, and this unit just reveals that to the fullest. Not lacking any musicality, just not exaggerating it either. You will notice some mood shifts in your music by means of certain passages won't hit as hard as you remember, and others will have this new layer of detail that you previously regarded as only being a few quiet notes. I noticed this specifically in music containing lots of detail in soft passages with fading loudness levels. Quiet parts of music suddenly became much more complex. There is a feeling of overall softness but also not removing any of the detail.

I would say that there is a chance for fast passages of digital type sounds to come off as if they were smashed together, degrading their enjoyment to the ear. But I only heard it with specific songs. This DAC definitely doesn't sugar coat the music in terms of the mastering quality; a very reference sound, great for the detail oriented listener. I see this unit having the most potential as a full on DAC feeding better amps. I'm coming from a tube amp fed by an R2R DAC and I would slightly prefer it to the Aune if I was going to relax, as this Aune really gives you everything the song as you offer. My R2R DAC + tubes handles live recordings with much more bliss, a more intimate stage, and more euphonic warmth than the Aune. For me personally I'm not sure if the Aune is how I wish to listen to music since every part of all my music is presented so clearly now, it really changes my preconceptions when listening for fun as I do. For the money this Aune S9C is insane value. I've noticed more over the past couple years just how overpriced a lot highly regarded gear can be. I seriously doubt anything form Burson, Violectric, or other "hyped" brands can compete with this, not taking tonality preferences into account.

Ok that's a lot of praise, so here's my small list of gripes (not deal breakers, very nitpicky):
  • Some music that used to move you emotionally doesn't feel the same as you remember, especially if you are used to a tube warmth type sound. Changes in volume levels/levels of euphoria are present throughout all genres. Everything is still there, just that this amp/dac isn't exaggerating anything.
  • Treble might be too much for some but I believe this is just the case of allowing your ears to adjust. Chimes sound superb but can be louder than expected.
  • The dark parts of the menu screen are only black when your eyes are on the same level as your desk (so never really, it's always going to have that "side view" LCD screen overexposure)
  • The volume ramp is not perfect for precise control and the usable range is small. 70ohm LCD-2 is only comfortable between 10-33 of the 100 step range. The volume jump from 22-26 feels like it would be from 9-12 oclock on a normal amp. Too much power?
  • I noticed a lack of punch to male and female vocals. Could just be my tastes but the only time a vocal track stood out and became euphoric was when the vocals where already exaggerated. Still very pleasant overall.
  • Potentially too much clarity for instrumental music that could turn into minor fatigue. Turning down the volume helps but then other parts of the music can sound too recessed. Again, certain songs are mastered to already have exaggerated peaks to instruments allowing them to take center stage, and the Aune doesn't hold back.
  • Switching between inputs and functions creates a loud pop in a random driver of your headphones. Regardless of volume or if done while music is playing. This exists on almost every DAC/AMP but here it steps into the realm of an annoyance.
  • The volume wheel is not totally stiff, there is like one millimeter of wobble. But it doesn't matter since the usage is so easy anyway; it still feels great to use.
Thanks for reading! Go get yourself one on amazon; if its not for you them just return it nice for the next listener.

Jan 9, 2024 at 6:59 AM Post #52 of 82
Can you offer something better for the money?
Depends on what kind of sound signature you are after.
As a standalone DAC, I would easily choose the Aune X8 Viii over the DAC portion of the S9C. Schiit Bifrost is also a nice option but you should consider everything with a grain of salt.
Three is a good chance that someone would be happy with the DAC of the S9C Pro.

Jan 9, 2024 at 7:10 AM Post #53 of 82
Depends on what kind of sound signature you are after.
As a standalone DAC, I would easily choose the Aune X8 Viii over the DAC portion of the S9C. Schiit Bifrost is also a nice option but you should consider everything with a grain of salt.
Three is a good chance that someone would be happy with the DAC of the S9C Pro.
I was inattentive. You talked about a standalone DAC. Now I understand everything. I was looking for a combined DAC with an amplifier for this money. I thought maybe there was something better from combined devices. But after reading various reviews on the AUNE S9C, I ordered it. Thank you.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2024 at 4:19 PM Post #55 of 82
I was inattentive. You talked about a standalone DAC. Now I understand everything. I was looking for a combined DAC with an amplifier for this money. I thought maybe there was something better from combined devices. But after reading various reviews on the AUNE S9C, I ordered it. Thank you.
Wise decision. It is an excellent sounding all-in-one DAC/amp much better than someone would expect for the asking price.

Jan 10, 2024 at 4:35 PM Post #56 of 82
Wise decision. It is an excellent sounding all-in-one DAC/amp much better than someone would expect for the asking price.
Thank you. I will hope. I read a lot of reviews and comments. Thank you for your thoughtful review as well. I chose among DAART AQUILA-2, FIIO K9PRO, HiFiman EF600.
I also looked at Mytek Lyberty dac.

Jan 10, 2024 at 5:21 PM Post #57 of 82
Thank you. I will hope. I read a lot of reviews and comments. Thank you for your thoughtful review as well. I chose among DAART AQUILA-2, FIIO K9PRO, HiFiman EF600.
I also looked at Mytek Lyberty dac.

What headphones will you be using?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back