Best Soundstage in an UNIVERSAL IEM?...
Oct 18, 2014 at 12:54 PM Post #31 of 281
It seems as though OP hasn't really made up his mind about exactly what he is looking for :)

Nice read about the AKG K3003 : http://headfonics.com/2011/10/akg-k3003-is-this-the-best-universal-iem-in-the-world/

Oct 18, 2014 at 3:37 PM Post #32 of 281
i.. kind of made my mind into getting k3003..... but i cannot really get past the thing that the cable is not interchangeable.... i mean... i needed to change the cables, as i could get balanced output in near future.... 

i am just asking if there are better soundsing iems for my 1300$?... this is a one time purchase, as these are not only expensive, but they are meant to be the best iems for me, i would not be looking to upgrade anymore, so... i just want to make sure i am getting what i actually need..

i think that this might actually be the last one that would be on my list... how does the akg k3003 compare to most unique melody iems?... on their site, they do universals on order... 

Oct 18, 2014 at 3:39 PM Post #33 of 281
i.. kind of made my mind into getting k3003..... but i cannot really get past the thing that the cable is not interchangeable.... i mean... i needed to change the cables, as i could get balanced output in near future.... 

i am just asking if there are better soundsing iems for my 1300$?... this is a one time purchase, as these are not only expensive, but they are meant to be the best iems for me, i would not be looking to upgrade anymore, so... i just want to make sure i am getting what i actually need..

i think that this might actually be the last one that would be on my list... how does the akg k3003 compare to most unique melody iems?... on their site, they do universals on order... 

You should be trying to get some demo before guessing into your "final" IEM. And seriously considering getting a pair of CIEM at this price, JH13, UERM are such excellent CIEM that are easy to get hold of.

Oct 18, 2014 at 3:58 PM Post #34 of 281
Again, if you're worried about the price or quality of the cable, look into the DITA Answer at $$650. I feel that it's voiced quite similarly to the K3003. The treble quality isn't quite as good as the K3003's but it's close and the cabling is very robust. 

Finally, "best" is a pretty relative/nebulous term. You'll have to hear for yourself to determine what's "best" for you. As I keep mentioning, if your goal is to recreate the HD800's signature in a small form, the K3003 is pretty much it. There are many people here who have owned both the HD800 and the K3003 who would agree that the two phones are voiced similarly and share similar technical qualities. 

Oct 18, 2014 at 4:00 PM Post #35 of 281
I can't speak to the soundstage of these high end IEM's but in my humble opinion how a track is mastered is as important as the 'phone when it comes to soundstage. If you haven't had an opportunity, listen to some Chesky Records Binaural recordings. They're pretty amazing what using their microphone technology does to instrument placement and soundstage. 

Oct 19, 2014 at 3:41 AM Post #36 of 281
  I can't speak to the soundstage of these high end IEM's but in my humble opinion how a track is mastered is as important as the 'phone when it comes to soundstage. If you haven't had an opportunity, listen to some Chesky Records Binaural recordings. They're pretty amazing what using their microphone technology does to instrument placement and soundstage. 

I  agree that recordings have a big effect on soundstage but was quite surprised when I heard the huge soundstage while listening to 80's thrash metal with my UM Merlins.

Oct 19, 2014 at 10:27 AM Post #38 of 281
Well like I said in a different thread, if your budget is unlimited Customs are way to go. I am still not exactly sure why Customs is not an option for you, but I do want to point out one thing. You can make IEMs with non-detachable cable like AKG K3003 be detachable if you visit a highly experienced and skilled solderer. For example, I know a friend of mine that has an AKG K701 with a detachable cable. The thing is, making the cable change is more expensive than the cans themselves. It costed my friend over $500 to make the AKG K701 cable detachable. I don't know how much it would cost for an AKG K3003, but I am sure it will not come cheap and finding the right solderer is even harder. You are not going to get much from universal flagship IEMs in terms of soundstage, not only due to technicality but due to the fact that Customs go much deeper into your ear canal which allows the listener to experience more vast and realistic soundstage, Chances are, you are not going to like AKG K3003 and end up wasting money and spend extra +$1,000 on a Custom later on.

As for the universal Unique Melody models, no do not get them. Even the Custom Unique Melody IEMs in my personal opinion does not have that great soundstage. The Melody sounds congested to my ears, and even the Mage had better soundstage in my opinion. Never tried the Mentor or any other models, but looking at the data I don't expect them to satisfy your needs. Heck, even Sony EX1000 has better soundstage than Unique Melody IEMs. 

Oct 19, 2014 at 11:32 AM Post #39 of 281
  Well like I said in a different thread, if your budget is unlimited Customs are way to go. I am still not exactly sure why Customs is not an option for you, but I do want to point out one thing. You can make IEMs with non-detachable cable like AKG K3003 be detachable if you visit a highly experienced and skilled solderer. For example, I know a friend of mine that has an AKG K701 with a detachable cable. The thing is, making the cable change is more expensive than the cans themselves. It costed my friend over $500 to make the AKG K701 cable detachable. I don't know how much it would cost for an AKG K3003, but I am sure it will not come cheap and finding the right solderer is even harder. You are not going to get much from universal flagship IEMs in terms of soundstage, not only due to technicality but due to the fact that Customs go much deeper into your ear canal which allows the listener to experience more vast and realistic soundstage, Chances are, you are not going to like AKG K3003 and end up wasting money and spend extra +$1,000 on a Custom later on.

As for the universal Unique Melody models, no do not get them. Even the Custom Unique Melody IEMs in my personal opinion does not have that great soundstage. The Melody sounds congested to my ears, and even the Mage had better soundstage in my opinion. Never tried the Mentor or any other models, but looking at the data I don't expect them to satisfy your needs. Heck, even Sony EX1000 has better soundstage than Unique Melody IEMs. 

What is the biggest soundstage and best seperation you have heard in a IEM or CIEM?

Oct 19, 2014 at 11:38 AM Post #40 of 281
Tralucent 1+2 would be my nominee for "Most Expansive Soundstage In A Universal IEM" - A new pair is over 1K - but there are used ones floating around the FS/FT thread - and they are well built.

Here's the answer actually on the first page.

Oct 19, 2014 at 12:17 PM Post #41 of 281

What is the biggest soundstage and best seperation you have heard in a IEM or CIEM?

Hidition New Tears 6 PRO. Wider soundstage than AKG K701. The most expensive IEM I have ever bought and the only IEM that I heard that sounds like speakers. As for instrument separation, my other flagship IEMs such as Unique Melody Miracle or AKG K3003 has no contest. If I listen to Unique Melody Miracle for a while then switch to Hidition New Tears 6 PRO, it almost feels as if I have a 7.1 Surround Sound on. If I can describe Hidition New Tears 6 PRO in one word, it's "3D."

Oct 19, 2014 at 12:46 PM Post #42 of 281
  Hidition New Tears 6 PRO. Wider soundstage than AKG K701. The most expensive IEM I have ever bought and the only IEM that I heard that sounds like speakers. As for instrument separation, my other flagship IEMs such as Unique Melody Miracle or AKG K3003 has no contest. If I listen to Unique Melody Miracle for a while then switch to Hidition New Tears 6 PRO, it almost feels as if I have a 7.1 Surround Sound on. If I can describe Hidition New Tears 6 PRO in one word, it's "3D."

hy, Boffy... as you said in an earlier thread opened by me, i studied how i liked the sound signature, and i am kind of not only interested in wide soundstage, but i also like my music in some revealing phones, and with lots of highs...

i cannot get customs, mostly because there are not any persons that can take ear impressions in my country... In Romania, i cannot get ear impressions at all... so i would have to stick with universals... i will try to mail hitidion or null audio... i would not be so much against getting customs if they would be better than universal in aspects like confort and how good is the seal, but as i am now, i mostly cannot... 

any recommandations on what to do as i cannot get ear impressions?.... i would like better to get Hidition new tears 6 pro, as it has a pretty much similar price to akg k3003....

EDIT1 ::: Sorry, Sd3 is compared to momentum, which sound bad to very bad.... listened to them, and hated them.... 
back on track... i am still trying to get a reasonable solution... i might as well give up the ideea of iems with soundstage, and keep dj one pro for on the go, and take signature dj for my Clarity headphones... it would keep me from spending another 1500$ on iems, as i will buy headphones in the same range....

Oct 19, 2014 at 1:28 PM Post #43 of 281
  hy, Boffy... as you said in an earlier thread opened by me, i studied how i liked the sound signature, and i am kind of not only interested in wide soundstage, but i also like my music in some revealing phones, and with lots of highs...

i cannot get customs, mostly because there are not any persons that can take ear impressions in my country... In Romania, i cannot get ear impressions at all... so i would have to stick with universals... i will try to mail hitidion or null audio... i would not be so much against getting customs if they would be better than universal in aspects like confort and how good is the seal, but as i am now, i mostly cannot... 

any recommandations on what to do as i cannot get ear impressions?.... i would like better to get Hidition new tears 6 pro, as it has a pretty much similar price to akg k3003....

EDIT1 ::: Sorry, Sd3 is compared to momentum, which sound bad to very bad.... listened to them, and hated them.... 
back on track... i am still trying to get a reasonable solution... i might as well give up the ideea of iems with soundstage, and keep dj one pro for on the go, and take signature dj for my Clarity headphones... it would keep me from spending another 1500$ on iems, as i will buy headphones in the same range....

Hmm I see. You can do an ear impression yourself using DIY stuff, but obviously it is much less effective than getting one from professional. That said, it can still work if you follow proper procedures and do it well. What I can recommend is order a DIY ear impression kit at In Ear Central or Ear Plug. Then do some research on doing a proper impression yourself, and watch multiple self impression videos before you do it yourself. Good luck. 

Oct 19, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #44 of 281

Does it sound like you are in a big concert hall in the middle rather than you are sitting at the front seat (or even on the stage) and hear everything up close? 

I haven't heard an IEM yet that does this, everything sounds like it's up close. I have to try this IEM then if that's the case 
biggrin.gif

Oct 20, 2014 at 12:07 AM Post #45 of 281

Does it sound like you are in a big concert hall in the middle rather than you are sitting at the front seat (or even on the stage) and hear everything up close? 

I haven't heard an IEM yet that does this, everything sounds like it's up close. I have to try this IEM then if that's the case 
biggrin.gif

Yes, it feels as if you are surrounded by the music instead of it being in front of you. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back