Burson Soloist 3X Grand Tourer Head Amp/Pre Amp w/Sub out - 10W XLR
Nov 8, 2023 at 12:03 AM Post #2,146 of 2,321
Looks like fanless casee design, preinstalled SP2 and upgraded volume control... I just returned my 2023 due to uncontrolled blasts of distortion that almost damaged my Atriums that I disconnected just in time. I may upgrade to Voyager just so store not having to install SP2 modules. I really do not like this short term product revisions...
Eugene, have a word with Burson, just tell them about your problem with the GT 2023 and ask them nicely if they could prioritize a Voyager order to your place. Good luck!

Nov 8, 2023 at 12:53 PM Post #2,147 of 2,321
Eugene, have a word with Burson, just tell them about your problem with the GT 2023 and ask them nicely if they could prioritize a Voyager order to your place. Good luck!
Just sent email to Burson

Nov 18, 2023 at 1:56 AM Post #2,148 of 2,321
Looks like Burson will have the V7 Vivid op amps. Does this mean a V7 Classic to follow?

Nov 19, 2023 at 3:54 PM Post #2,151 of 2,321
I just got a 2023 Soloist 3XGT. Does it require 100 hours or anything of breakin? The power modules are new too, the SP-2.
I ran pink and white noise through mine for 3-4 days in stretches to accelerate the process. But ultimately you get there either way. I think 100 hours probably should go by before you draw conclusions with lasting precision. And as soon as you start rolling any op-amp configs, it'll all change again!

Nov 20, 2023 at 7:41 AM Post #2,152 of 2,321
Ordered my Burson Soloist 3X GT during the recent sales at 11.11. Now just waiting for delivery sometime this week hopefully.

Nov 20, 2023 at 7:43 AM Post #2,153 of 2,321
I just got a 2023 Soloist 3XGT. Does it require 100 hours or anything of breakin? The power modules are new too, the SP-2.

I seem to remember that in a Burson related thread it was stated that Burson performs a 100h breakin on all units prior to shipment.

Nov 20, 2023 at 8:34 AM Post #2,154 of 2,321
I ran pink and white noise through mine for 3-4 days in stretches to accelerate the process. But ultimately you get there either way. I think 100 hours probably should go by before you draw conclusions with lasting precision. And as soon as you start rolling any op-amp configs, it'll

I seem to remember that in a Burson related thread it was stated that Burson performs a 100h breakin on all units prior to shipment.
I read that too, but I also have the new sp-02 user installed silent power modules, along with the supercharger; so I didn’t know if those need to be broken in? Some notes are a little glassy and not so smooth, so I was hoping some break-in will tame it down a bit. Also I can’t imagine Burson connecting all the inputs and outputs and breaking those in for 100 hours. Probably they just turn it on for 100 hours, but not sure. Thanks for all the input.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2023 at 5:25 PM Post #2,155 of 2,321
Has anyone tried to shoe-horn in 2 sets of SS2590 op-amps into a 3X GT? Voltage and either volume or input?

Too much of a good thing? Another $250 for diminishing returns?

Asking for a friend....
I ended up getting a second pair of 2590 since Sparkos had their Black Friday sale. Will report back.

Nov 28, 2023 at 9:44 AM Post #2,156 of 2,321
Well I finally got around to ordering an SVS 3000 Micro to pair with my Burson Soloist GT ( red dial version ). I like the idea of adding a little extra bass and had tried this with a different subwoofer using a wireless adapter.

On the negative side - when turning off the Burson you get a loud bang from the subwoofer - at the time I thought it was because I was using the wireless adapter but now with the SVS I experience the same thing when it is cabled.

Burson support said this is "normal" and that a full volume burst every time you turn the amp off "should cause no damage" - well I am not so sure on that last part. Anyway - something you should be aware of for this feature of the Burson amp.

The SVS app is nice and since the Burson acts as a preamp for the sub you can use the app presets to set different volume levels for more or less sensitive headphones to match - what I mean is that most times I leave the gain on medium - but my ZMF VC I listen to at lower volume numbers and my DCA Expanse usually take more volume.

Good thing about coming to share with this post is I hopped on the Sparkos Black Friday sale as well - my first bit of op amp rolling :xf_cool:

Update: I ordered a 12V trigger cable in hopes that would shut off the subwoofer as I was shutting off the amp and avoid the boom but no success. So far I do like the addition of the sub but am disappointed in the Burson implementation of the sub out as I have to remember to go into the app and turn the volume all the way down or climb under the desk and turn the sub off before powering the Burson down.

Obviously I don't have to do this with any "normal" 2 channel setup like my Denon AV reciever

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2023 at 11:38 AM Post #2,157 of 2,321
I read that too, but I also have the new sp-02 user installed silent power modules, along with the supercharger; so I didn’t know if those need to be broken in? Some notes are a little glassy and not so smooth, so I was hoping some break-in will tame it down a bit. Also I can’t imagine Burson connecting all the inputs and outputs and breaking those in for 100 hours. Probably they just turn it on for 100 hours, but not sure. Thanks for all the input.
As an update, I was able to run the Burson Soloist 3XGT for about 80 hours off and on over the Thanksgiving week. Any harshness has faded away and things are definitely sounding smooth now. I think the new power modules, supercharger, and the many many internal capacitors needed a little breaking in to sound optimal. I'm really impressed what these can do with my Hifiman HE1000se. I also plugged in my HD650 while burning in the amp and this combination also sounds great. I had the Soloist 3XP for more than a year; and this amp is many steps ahead. I might even dive into some opamp rolling one day soon.

Nov 29, 2023 at 11:42 AM Post #2,158 of 2,321
Anybody have experience connecting a grounding box to the Soloist 3XGT? I currently have one ground wire connected to an rca input, as I'm using the xlr input to connect to my dac. I'm curious if the input, output, case, or some other connection is best to connect to a ground box. I'm using a Synergistic Research ground box with a custom ground cable to rca.

Nov 30, 2023 at 5:59 PM Post #2,159 of 2,321

The SP1 modules regulators are based on LT1963A (+15V) & LT3015 (-15V) having a RMS noise across 10Hz to 100kHz bandwidth of 40uV and 60uV, quite respectful numbers actually.

I managed to take mine apart and looks like the new SP2 modules are based on two extremely low-noise power regulators: LT3045 (+15V) and LT3094 (-15V) having a RMS noise of only 0.8uV across 10Hz to 100kHz bandwidth, so the new SP2 modules would be 50 times less noisier than the former revision. I am impressed how fast technology advances, but I'm thrilled that Burson is implementing it in their new equipment.

88A9B25F-2178-4C13-AE20-9CE8FCDC7712.jpeg

Top case of the new SP2 modules

EF3C1531-0926-477C-86C8-6F4CA072647A.jpeg Bottom of the new SP2 modules

2800398A-CCC6-466B-8BB6-4A551F04D795.jpeg
The new positive regulator SP2 (+15V) based on LT3045

53260D14-5746-404F-8BD8-24B88DA98894.jpeg
The new negative regulator SP2 (-15V) based on LT3094

As a first impression, background seems to be darker and microdetails have increased. To be able to discerne all the audible differences, an A/B test between two identical devices, but with different SP modules installed, might be required. Meanwhile, let's all with SP2 already installed cooment our thoughts here.
Thanks so much for researching this! So exciting to see the improvement and as you talk about it is great that technology allows this kind of improvement. It does make you think why even have a SP1? According to DigiKey - a supplier of electronic components the difference between an LT3045 and an LT1963A in qty 100 is $1.43 - seems like on a $2000 amp this would be be able to be included vs. an upgrade - yes I understand that there are multiple modules but we are looking at like $10 for this improved design

Nov 30, 2023 at 6:04 PM Post #2,160 of 2,321
Thanks so much for researching this! So exciting to see the improvement and as you talk about it is great that technology allows this kind of improvement. It does make you think why even have a SP1? According to DigiKey - a supplier of electronic components the difference between an LT3045 and an LT1963A in qty 100 is $1.43 - seems like on a $2000 amp this would be be able to be included vs. an upgrade - yes I understand that there are multiple modules but we are looking at like $10 for this improved design
It's called market segmentation, unfortunately....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back