Cayin HA-300MK2 (2022) TOTL Transformer coupled Direct Heated Triode Tube HeadAmp (Page 91)
Mar 15, 2024 at 7:22 AM Post #5,716 of 6,478
Back to the Mullard VR135 Red Print and a full quad of Sicte 22DE4's and combined with the WE300B, this is my jam. :grin: This tube combo is so powerful, immersive and highly engaging, and has all the tube goodness one could ever want, with detail and nuances through the roof.

1000004743.jpg

Mar 15, 2024 at 10:15 AM Post #5,717 of 6,478
Got the WE300b arriving Saturday, hard to imaging these getting better than stock though. I did also put the Japanese grey 22DE4 in, I didn't notice a significant difference, maaaybe the sound is cleaner and a little lighter on the bass? I want to continue breaking them in though, they only have about 10hrs. After sometime I will try swapping back the OG 22de4 to see if I notice a difference. Also have some Mullards on the way 🤤 I did go all-in on tube changes right away xD
You will love them, but bear in mind that they need 500-600 hours of burn in, before they sound their best. They are still quite nice before that, but the true magic comes late.

Mar 16, 2024 at 12:06 AM Post #5,719 of 6,478
For those of you with HA300 mk2 any thoughts on commercial Aegis from Zack and Lord G ?

Mar 16, 2024 at 12:46 AM Post #5,720 of 6,478
I only had a short time with it - plus it was show conditions. But my immediate impression was how clear and detailed it sounded vs a normal tube amp, thats about all I can say with any confidence. Oh and that it looked gorgeous, one of the coolest looking amps I've seen.

Mar 16, 2024 at 7:16 AM Post #5,722 of 6,478
For those of you with HA300 mk2 any thoughts on commercial Aegis from Zack and Lord G ?
I haven't heard the Commercial, but have heard the DIY (@L0rdGwyn's personal unit) with good NOS tubes. The Aegis is a very clean sounding amp, with airy mids and treble, and very unique staging with really good depth front to back. From what I heard it's a totally different presentation compared to the 300B sound of the HA300mk2. The HA300 is more mid forward, with a more powerful and weightier sound. I plan on getting an Aegis to compliment my HA300mk2. The Aegis is a tube enthusiast/tube roller's dream amp, and has really good grip and control, and has TOTL sound no doubt.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2024 at 7:35 AM Post #5,723 of 6,478
I know we all have different music preferences, but if anyone digs chill Electronica, I highly recommend having a listen to the just released Four Tet album.

1000004858.jpg

This track sounds spectacular and has really cool holographic staging, and good subbass rumble.

Happy Listening. :grin:

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2024 at 5:51 PM Post #5,724 of 6,478
On the subject of music.

I'm just finishing up with Puccini- Turandot live at the Metropolitan 2024. A beautiful example of a 20th century opera. Very contemporary and definitely not to be confused with a stuffy old opera.

The Cayin HA-300B MKII is truly world class and does Turandot justice.

Poster_Turandot.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2024 at 6:49 PM Post #5,725 of 6,478
On the subject of music.

I'm just finishing up with Puccini- Turandot live at the Metropolitan 2024. A beautiful example of a 20th century opera. Very contemporary and definitely not to be confused with a stuffy old opera.

The Cayin HA-300B MKII is truly world class and does Turandot justice.

Poster_Turandot.jpg
What format?

Mar 16, 2024 at 7:03 PM Post #5,726 of 6,478
Last edited:
Mar 17, 2024 at 7:32 AM Post #5,727 of 6,478
Finally rolled in an old favorite and it's no surprise they have incredible synergy with the WE's.

This is my "Goldilocks Tube Combo", and has become my number one. I listened for 6 hours straight yesterday, and was in my own perfect little world. There is nothing better than finding that tube combo, that just does everything right and then some, and it's truly a magical experience with these tubes.

Driver - G.E.C. Hammersmith VR135 Welded Plate (The true OG and my Unicorn)

1000004870.jpg

1000004871.jpg

1000004865.jpg

Driver - GEC Hammersmith VR135 Welded Plate
Power - WE300B
Rectifier - Sicte 22DE4

The sound is powerful, organic and highly detailed, with excellent grip. There is excellent balance, without a hint of brightness. The bass will shake your soul and is the strongest I have heard with this amp, the mids are incredibly natural and clear, and the highs soar while never being harsh. The staging is also huge and holographic with incredible layering, without ever sounding too diffused. I could go on and on. . .but I will just say this, this is a magical sound that grabs me and doesn't let go.

I hope everyone finds their "Goldilocks tube combo", and it's back to musical bliss. :grin:

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2024 at 3:25 PM Post #5,728 of 6,478
@Andykong I'm interested in the EML 300B-Mesh Plate but it has a lower than normal Anode dissipation, an absolute maximum of 28 Watt, EML stress how you need to be sure of your amps plate dissipation and I can't find anything online about what our HA-300s run at, so can we use this 300B?

Mar 19, 2024 at 12:37 AM Post #5,729 of 6,478
Hi everyone! I've been a lurker on this thread since mid-'23 since I got my own HA-300. I've already climbed mount Elrog and paired them with a lovely quad of Mullard vr-135, but I struggled to find the elusive Japanese rectifier tubes until @idairyou was kind enough to share the link to a supplier 🙏. I requested 10x 22de4 tubes from their inventory, 5x Raytheon and 5x Westinghouse, and they were happy to provide an invoice that came out to $12 per tube. Just two days after I paid the invoice (with no shipping notice), the tubes arrived, and as I opened and inspected each one I realized that several of the tubes were not identical to the majority I had among each brand.

I wanted to share the differences I noticed in case any of the tube experts here might enjoy inspecting them and sharing their insights:

First off we have the two kinds I expected to receive: Westinghouse Japan and Raytheon Japan. These look almost identical to the ones @idairyou received, except "Japan" is printed on the glass of the Raytheon tubes instead of the base (you can see it on the left). 4/5 of my Westinghouse tubes look like this, while 2/5 of my Raytheon match the one below. I'm calling these the "standard" tubes. I noticed the internal structure of these two tubes look the same, so I'm curious if they differ objectively in some way other than the brand name.
standard_jpn.jpg

Next we have some minor variants. On the left, a Raytheon tube, also labelled Japan, but with only "22de4" on the glass, and the brand/origin printed on the base. It also says "Registered" under the Raytheon logo. Internals-wise, it appears identical to my eyes to the standard Raytheon. On the right, a Westinghouse with no printed origin that I can find, but it does have matte black bars along the length of the plate where the other tubes have polished silver ones. Calling this one WH Black. It also has a large ring parallel to the plate, larger than the other designs with one, which is wired to one of the top poles instead of the side of the plate.
PXL_20240210_022920926.jpg

Finally, two Raytheon tubes with "Made in U.S.A." printed on the glass. Both of these tubes have similar 3-piece silver slats along the plate, and a bar coming of the side of the plate where the other tubes have a ring.
PXL_20240209_035043199.jpg
Now at first I thought these two were identical, but on closer inspection I noticed a difference in the wiring beneath the bottom mica. In the image below I've placed them in the same orientation, and you can see that the left one has a white wire running off to the right that's the other one is lacking.
PXL_20240209_165526626.jpg
I'm a little scared of this extra-wire one because it emitted a camera-like flash when I powered up the amp with it inserted. No fuses were blown, and once the flash was gone it warmed up normally and didn't affect my listening. I managed to capture the flash before it disappeared on a subsequent test in a different socket.
flash.jpg
Needless to say I won't be using this tube again unless I determine the flashing behavior is harmless.

I'll be sharing my tube-rolling impressions sometime soon. It hasn't taken long for me to see that these tubes are a step above my old RCA and GE sets.

I hope this helps anyone who's considering ordering from the supplier posted by @idairyou. If anyone else ordered from there, please share if any of these variants showed up in your order, or if you got something new!
Could you share your tube rolling impressions of these Raytheon and Westinghouse 22de4 tubes in terms of their sound quality?

Jeff.

Mar 19, 2024 at 9:03 AM Post #5,730 of 6,478
I know we all have different music preferences, but if anyone digs chill Electronica, I highly recommend having a listen to the just released Four Tet album.

1000004858.jpg

This track sounds spectacular and has really cool holographic staging, and good subbass rumble.

Happy Listening. :grin:

Thanks for the reco. Listening to it on my VO through Cayin ha6a. Wow the 3Dness is simply amazing !

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back