Cayin HA-300MK2 (2022) TOTL Transformer coupled Direct Heated Triode Tube HeadAmp (Page 91)
Mar 20, 2024 at 10:48 AM Post #5,731 of 6,389
Maybe not “contemporary” but still impressive oldest classical opera. Bought on CD rather of curiosity five years ago and now it’s one of my favorite records.
1711088945269.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2024 at 8:18 AM Post #5,732 of 6,389
So, I saved best for last, and my suspicion has been confirmed. The 6S5S is insane with the WE300B. :grin:

1000004914.jpg

Excellent balance top to bottom, clarity, detail, impact, speed and a very open and holographic staging. It doesn't get any better.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2024 at 8:25 AM Post #5,734 of 6,389
I got my WE300b’s last night. It’s insane how much these change the sound signature, it’s like a totally different amp. Detail, clarity, sound stage and air have all shot through the rough. The mids feel more punchy and center stage.

I feel like I may have lost some extension on the bottom end but it could just be due to the bass being tighter. Some of the warm gooey tubeness has been lost in the process and the sound is much more hifi. The mids are also bit too boosted for my liking and the Susvara loses a bit of what makes it special which is complete and utter tonal balance.

Will keep burning on an evaluating plus I want to see how this changes again with Mullards. Now that I see how much tubes impact the sound im very excited for those as well 🔊🔊

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2024 at 8:28 AM Post #5,735 of 6,389
I for one am enjoying WesS’ FOTD driver posts. The lesson here is that there is a large group of odd tubes for this amp and Envy, that are really, really impressive, and push the envelope in very desirable ways.
Yes sir! I have quite an amazing little group of driver tubes.

My A-Team

1. Russian 6S5S
2. GEC VR135 Welded Plates
3. Mullard VR135 Red Print
4. Mullard CV6 White Print
5. Russian 6C8C

With those 5 quads, it's like having 5 different amps. Got to love a good tube amp. Pick your flavor depending on mood.

Mar 21, 2024 at 10:49 AM Post #5,736 of 6,389
How long do we expect a 22de4 (rectifier) or CV6 driver to be at their best for? Is it months ... years? Do they degrade over time and a new set would bring a more sprightly energetic sound? Do they dull over time?

Can anyone state longevity for them?

Mar 21, 2024 at 11:44 AM Post #5,737 of 6,389
How long do we expect a 22de4 (rectifier) or CV6 driver to be at their best for? Is it months ... years? Do they degrade over time and a new set would bring a more sprightly energetic sound? Do they dull over time?

The 22DE4 are said to last up to 6-7 years. The CV6 I would guess somewhere around 4,000 - 6,000 hours. Yes, they degrade over time and will loose dynamics as they do. That being said, I have never worn out a tube myself so can't say for certain just how long it takes to start loosing dynamics. Thats the reason all us old tube guys like to have backups/multiples of our favorite tubes.

Mar 21, 2024 at 11:56 AM Post #5,738 of 6,389
The 22DE4 are said to last up to 6-7 years. The CV6 I would guess somewhere around 4,000 - 6,000 hours. Yes, they degrade over time and will loose dynamics as they do. That being said, I have never worn out a tube myself so can't say for certain just how long it takes to start loosing dynamics. Thats the reason all us old tube guys like to have backups/multiples of our favorite tubes.
No surprise, anyone changing tubes every single day should get worn earlier than his tubes:)

Mar 21, 2024 at 12:10 PM Post #5,739 of 6,389
No surprise, anyone changing tubes every single day should get worn earlier than his tubes:)
That's part of the plan. :wink:

Mar 21, 2024 at 12:38 PM Post #5,741 of 6,389

It varies a lot. As an example a metal based GZ34 can last almost indefinitely. Yes a different rectifier but in other incarnations, other manufactures, a few years. A hard vacuum adds to life as of course the materials used. The 22DE4 tube was not an expensive tube. Also, how the tube is used. The correct capacitor used, so as to not tax the rectifier by having to load a capacitor that is too large, which causes an inrush of current. Cary Audio, years ago, used large caps that would destroy even the GZ34 run in series. I put a CL90, a type of resistor that responds to current by increasing the resistance to slow it until the current inrush stops and then goes to zero resistance. So there are many variables but Cayin does it right so the 22DE4 should last a long time.

The driver tubes, also can be driven too hard with too high a plate voltage but Cayin seems to have done it right so they should have a nice life as well. Depending upon the tube, but some military tubes are good for up to 10,000 hours and some a little more.

Mar 21, 2024 at 2:50 PM Post #5,742 of 6,389
It varies a lot. As an example a metal based GZ34 can last almost indefinitely. Yes a different rectifier but in other incarnations, other manufactures, a few years. A hard vacuum adds to life as of course the materials used. The 22DE4 tube was not an expensive tube. Also, how the tube is used. The correct capacitor used, so as to not tax the rectifier by having to load a capacitor that is too large, which causes an inrush of current. Cary Audio, years ago, used large caps that would destroy even the GZ34 run in series. I put a CL90, a type of resistor that responds to current by increasing the resistance to slow it until the current inrush stops and then goes to zero resistance. So there are many variables but Cayin does it right so the 22DE4 should last a long time.

The driver tubes, also can be driven too hard with too high a plate voltage but Cayin seems to have done it right so they should have a nice life as well. Depending upon the tube, but some military tubes are good for up to 10,000 hours and some a little more.
Thats interesting thank you all that answered.

Jamato, i was reading accounts of people getting flashing on their rectifiers for capacitors being too large and resistors being too small ... mighty interesting, but sadly way out of my skill sets! Mentioned one of the routines to avoid flashing is a startup delay ... now where i have seen this? :) Cayin done right?

Mar 21, 2024 at 2:55 PM Post #5,743 of 6,389
Thats interesting thank you all that answered.

Jamato, i was reading accounts of people getting flashing on their rectifiers for capacitors being too large and resistors being too small ... mighty interesting, but sadly way out of my skill sets! Mentioned one of the routines to avoid flashing is a startup delay ... now where i have seen this? :) Cayin done right?
I have to say i really have to take my hat off to Cayin. Everything about it exudes first class commendation. Even when switching inputs / gain / sources - the amp is SILENT. No clicks, no squelches, no nasties. Just perfect. Well done Andy Kong & Co!

Should you read this Andy Kong, I'd love to know the best you have heard HA Cayin 300b - have you listened to a top tier version loaded to the hilts? Do you have any preferences you could share? Have Cayin made something to supercede it? Anything on the horizon that involves more valves?

Mar 21, 2024 at 10:33 PM Post #5,744 of 6,389
I have to say i really have to take my hat off to Cayin. Everything about it exudes first class commendation. Even when switching inputs / gain / sources - the amp is SILENT. No clicks, no squelches, no nasties. Just perfect. Well done Andy Kong & Co!

Should you read this Andy Kong, I'd love to know the best you have heard HA Cayin 300b - have you listened to a top tier version loaded to the hilts? Do you have any preferences you could share? Have Cayin made something to supercede it? Anything on the horizon that involves more valves?

What other tube amps have you heard?

Mar 22, 2024 at 4:27 AM Post #5,745 of 6,389
In regards to "nasties" only solid state and a much older Audio Note that i was probably too young to appreciate. Almost all of my solid state amps up to £3k have had switching noise. The Topping Preamp i had was so noisy on switching it blew my Susvaras .. TWICE. For just changing the XLR mode to RCA mode. Unreal hey? Yet true.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back