Cayin HA-300MK2 (2022) TOTL Transformer coupled Direct Heated Triode Tube HeadAmp (Page 91)
Mar 26, 2024 at 7:42 AM Post #5,777 of 6,247
Fireworks!
1711453330381.jpeg

Thanks for the reminder!

Mar 26, 2024 at 11:03 AM Post #5,779 of 6,247
I suspect that it requires a 1.4 - 1.5 mm sized Allen wrench to tighten that set screw in the volume control knob.

Jeff.

It definitely was the 2mm allen wrench. Also Cayin got back to me confirming, I sent them a panicked email as well when this happened lmao. Great speedy service, they emailed back in less than 12 hours with photos and a short video of how to fix it confirming everything we discussed here ( turn knob rod all the way to the left, plug in the knob aligning the 'min' dash and then use the 2mm allen wrench to tighten. Nice and simple

No actually. Just to your previous comment that as the Cayin HA-300B MK2 scales with upgraded tubes. So does it also scale with upgrades to the DAC. Regardless of conversion type, Delta Sigma, or R2R.
I am a bit skeptical if their will be a large difference or not. Dacs are one of those things that seem to be more subtle, I rarely hear people proclaim a dac as amazing or with much excitement. However I also thought my amp change from from Topping to the 300mkII would be subtle and holy crap was I wrong lmao. I'm looking at yoloing into a Holo May if I can score one from the classifieds. I am so hooked on the drastic changes I am seeing with each mod I make in this setup it's intoxicating, I want to see this setup at it's absolute best.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2024 at 11:18 AM Post #5,780 of 6,247
Btw I've got my May and Bliss listed for shipping in EU if anyone is interested 😅

Mar 26, 2024 at 11:31 AM Post #5,781 of 6,247
Btw I've got my May and Bliss listed for shipping in EU if anyone is interested 😅
I am in the U.S or I'd be all over that 🫠

Mar 26, 2024 at 11:37 AM Post #5,782 of 6,247
Mar 26, 2024 at 11:42 AM Post #5,783 of 6,247
What DAC are you using now?
I've got some that I want to audition, Wavelight, Chord, Ferrum etc. Once I settle on something I will get back to this post with an update how it works with the HA300 :beers:

Mar 26, 2024 at 12:16 PM Post #5,784 of 6,247
I've got some that I want to audition, Wavelight, Chord, Ferrum etc. Once I settle on something I will get back to this post with an update how it works with the HA300 :beers:
The Wandla Goldensound edition looks interesting.

I whole heartedly recommend the Spring 3.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2024 at 1:15 PM Post #5,785 of 6,247
It definitely was the 2mm allen wrench. Also Cayin got back to me confirming, I sent them a panicked email as well when this happened lmao. Great speedy service, they emailed back in less than 12 hours with photos and a short video of how to fix it confirming everything we discussed here ( turn knob rod all the way to the left, plug in the knob aligning the 'min' dash and then use the 2mm allen wrench to tighten. Nice and simple

I am a bit skeptical if their will be a large difference or not. Dacs are one of those things that seem to be more subtle, I rarely hear people proclaim a dac as amazing or with much excitement. However I also thought my amp change from from Topping to the 300mkII would be subtle and holy crap was I wrong lmao. I'm looking at yoloing into a Holo May if I can score one from the classifieds. I am so hooked on the drastic changes I am seeing with each mod I make in this setup it's intoxicating, I want to see this setup at it's absolute best.
THe Holo May is execptional. It will sound wider than anything you ever heard. It will seperate instruments and allow them to play in their own space. It will make instruments come from their own little spaces "up there", "down there", "over there".... It will allow you to instantly single out any instrument and follow it like no other. Mine was Level two and it was execptional but i always wanted for the Level 3 silver wound. I stepped back to the Gustard R26 and if you have seen its PSU design you will see its a step above most other R2R dacs, but never quite the Holo May. Sound wise, its 92% the May in my opinion. But that 8% really is worth £3000 because you will never hear anything quite like it again! Its still a subtle change until you have top NOS tubes, then you realise what the extra cost buys. Its an awesome DAC.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2024 at 1:18 PM Post #5,786 of 6,247
Mar 26, 2024 at 1:19 PM Post #5,787 of 6,247
THe Holo May is execptional. It will sound wider than anything you ever heard. It will seperate instruments and allow them to play in their own space. It will make instruments come from their own little spaces "up there", "down there", "over there".... It will allow you to instantly single out any instrument and follow it like no other. Mine was Level two and it was execptional but i always wanted for the Level 3 silver wound. I stepped back to the Gustard R26 and if you have seen its PSU deisng you will see its a step above most other R2R dacs, but never quite the Holo May. Sound wise, its 92% the May in my opinion. But that 5% really is worth £3000 because you will never hear anything quite like it again! Its still a subtle change until you have top NOS tubes, then you realise what the extra cost buys. Its an awesome DAC.
I agree :beers:

Mar 26, 2024 at 1:40 PM Post #5,788 of 6,247

you never hear people say a DAC is amazing...hmmmm,you havent spent much time here it appears lol

Mar 26, 2024 at 2:22 PM Post #5,789 of 6,247

In summit fi level (well above $5K price tag), DAC plays really big role in sound. Yes, the differences are that much.

At the same time I think it's a bit hard to differentiate DAC's sound when it comes to chi-fi war DAC below $1000 that all of them just use either Sabre/AKM chip.

Mar 26, 2024 at 2:27 PM Post #5,790 of 6,247
I'm running a Holo May Lvl 3 into the Cayin (WE's are still burning in) and it is revelatory. The 300b sound is so thick, but the amp and the dac combo make it fast and tight within that massive, wet stage. As I listen to it, the analogy that popped into my mind was graceful, elegant synchronized swimming done in smooth olive oil. That combination of smoothness, of weight and impact, and delicate detail placed everywhere is amazing. I've got the May running into a Stratus, a Glenn OTL and the Cayin and I can't wish for any more.

That said, for some fun, I'm looking for a tube dac, like an Abbas or a Sonic Frontiers, to see how that compares to the May as a counterpoint.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back