Chord Anni
Feb 27, 2023 at 9:12 PM Post #496 of 564
exactly, 10w into 8 ohms...for a headphone it would be the same out of either output

Feb 28, 2023 at 6:56 AM Post #497 of 564
Emailed Chord directly:

"I've just purchased an Anni but haven't yet received it. What is the Anni's power output out of the headphone jack? All the reviews I can find for the Anni only state the 10 watt figure for the speaker output. I need to know the headphone output specs so that I do not buy headphones beyond the Anni's capability to drive. Thank you"
Chord's reply:

"
Dear Sir, thanks for your email.
It's approximately 300mW (0.3W) into 300 ohms.
All the best"

If they had just published that figure in the online specs I never would have bought an Anni

Feb 28, 2023 at 8:19 AM Post #498 of 564
Emailed Chord directly:

"I've just purchased an Anni but haven't yet received it. What is the Anni's power output out of the headphone jack? All the reviews I can find for the Anni only state the 10 watt figure for the speaker output. I need to know the headphone output specs so that I do not buy headphones beyond the Anni's capability to drive. Thank you"
Chord's reply:

"
Dear Sir, thanks for your email.
It's approximately 300mW (0.3W) into 300 ohms.
All the best"

If they had just published that figure in the online specs I never would have bought an Anni

Massive power downgrade from the Violectric.

Feb 28, 2023 at 8:25 AM Post #499 of 564
Last edited:
Mar 1, 2023 at 4:01 PM Post #500 of 564
A follow up question to Chord: is 300mW the maximum power output from the anni headphone jacks?

Their reply:

“It is able to swing a little more than that into higher impedances but it doesn't exceed 1w in any state.”

Mar 5, 2023 at 2:35 PM Post #501 of 564
A follow up question to Chord: is 300mW the maximum power output from the anni headphone jacks?

Their reply:

“It is able to swing a little more than that into higher impedances but it doesn't exceed 1w in any state.”
My lastish post in this thread...as a result of the above answer from chord, I contacted the retailer I bought my Anni from and had the shipment halted and returned in exchange for a Mytek THX AAA amp. Gotta say, upgrading from my Rupert Neve has been a real pain. If only it were more powerful I never would have had to do this. The Mytek will be the third amp I've bought to upgrade.

Mar 6, 2023 at 1:54 AM Post #502 of 564
exactly, 10w into 8 ohms...for a headphone it would be the same out of either output
It wouldn´t, it is by following specifications. But which 8 Ohm IEM could stand here? Don´t know a HP, which got/ could stand too or even need it. There are also circuit related things to think about in general. Dang...

My lastish post in this thread...as a result of the above answer from chord, I contacted the retailer I bought my Anni from and had the shipment halted and returned in exchange for a Mytek THX AAA amp. Gotta say, upgrading from my Rupert Neve has been a real pain. If only it were more powerful I never would have had to do this. The Mytek will be the third amp I've bought to upgrade.
300mW is quite a lot and more than enough to drive a HD800S f.e.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2023 at 2:48 AM Post #503 of 564
It wouldn´t, it is by following specifications. But which 8 Ohm IEM could stand here? Don´t know a HP, which got/ could stand too or even need it. There are also circuit related things to think about in general. Dang...

300mW is quite a lot and more than enough to drive a HD800S f.e.
But no where near enough for planar magnetic. I’ve actually tried to drive a DCA Expanse with my RNHP a while ago. It was obviously underpowered

Mar 6, 2023 at 7:09 AM Post #504 of 564
But no where near enough for planar magnetic. I’ve actually tried to drive a DCA Expanse with my RNHP a while ago. It was obviously underpowered
I haven't wrote about planars. RN is studio equipment in general. The RNHP is for clean, transparent, uncolored listening/ mixing and mastering with DD's up to high ohmed ones. Planars start clipping (waveform distortion) with. It simply doesn't synergize. They need a min. of 1W and current beside the complete amp layout.

Once again, you couldn't judge amp's by pure wattage numbers, ignoring circuit layouts. I don't wan't to defend the Anni, cause i don't like it for other reasons.

ÆON Flow and ÆON 2 Noire where good with the Anni. HEK and Arya V1, forget it.

Even a WA8 Eclipse puts 120mW(!) @ 300 Ohms and a HD800S will sing.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2023 at 4:52 PM Post #505 of 564
I recently listened to DCA Stealth off Anni and it was plenty loud enough, i.e. quiet orchestral music had a couple of hours more to go on the volume control.

Mar 13, 2023 at 2:49 AM Post #506 of 564
Hello, im new here. Im buy recently Anni and he power up my Final Audio D8000. DAC is Qutest. Qutest is powered by IFI iPower X. I think Anni sound great especially on low registers, very good bass, quantity, quality, control. Never too soft neither never too boomy or with too much bloom. This stack is overall very intese experiance. Its my new favorite headphone amplifier. Im thinking right now about McIntosh MHA150 and Abyss 1266 Phi TC. And miss my Pioneer SE Master 1 and HEDDphone One a little bit :) I thinking lately how they could sound on Anni. Greetings from Poland :wink:
Sorry for my English, its not perfect i guess.

Mar 13, 2023 at 3:34 AM Post #507 of 564
Welcome @Alucard1 ... I also have QUTEST and thinking about head-amps for my Meze EMPYREAN. However I am a little concerned about the low effective power of the ANNI for 32Ohm headphones ... would it provide sufficient headroom that the EMPYREANS crave ? I appreciate it will probably 'drive them OK' but how well will it bring out the qualities of the headphone ?

Mar 13, 2023 at 4:18 AM Post #508 of 564
Hmm, its funny but i never heard Meze Empyrean. Any Meze :D But my good friend from England, i think he heave account here, say too me things about Empyrean. He say they are easier to drive than my D8000 and my beloved Pioneer Master. I heard from him the headphone amplifer in TT2 its perfect match for a Pioneer Master 1 and Meze Empyriean wich are pretty similar headphones in his opinion. I think D8000 its not very different animal from these two too, from Pioneer for sure, and Anni its not diffrent animal from this amplifier in TT2. If it is, i will be pretty amazed :)
My Anni with D8000 is on 7 - 8 ocklock and with looking for a Meze specs i'l will be worried i have enough volume knob down the road :wink: May be too officent. The problem with Meze Empyrean from what i heard in Poland on one of our forums, its bass. Maybe they refer to control or feeling of bloom, softenss? I dont know. Bass in Anni is best part, so you can give a try for sure. Chord amplification from what i know, from other audiophiles, works very well with Meze because is rythimc and focus, hard hitting. I personally want very bad my Pioneer Master 1 back, because i want to try them with Anni. These headphones have something like a pillow made from bass in them. They have huge pick in diaphgram on 60hz - 90hz which give you extra bump on bass with amplifiers with low output impedance. I guess that Anni could be perfect match for Master 1 and for Meze too.
I say just this, if Anni have power for D8000 and they are 60ohm/98db, why he would have problems with 32 ohm/100db Meze? I'l say more, its a big chance that can be stunnig combination if Qutest is a DAC. And one more thing, i dont know what power measerments say, but i was having before Anni, 3W headphone ampfier, and Anni is a beast compare to him. Big beasty sound and feel of power with this little black cube. like my friend from other forum say - "power its not equal to power". It is something in this. Alwyas better to listen than read the measerments. Sometimes we can be positively surprised :) I was.

Mar 13, 2023 at 4:33 AM Post #509 of 564
Thank-you for your thoughts @Alucard1 ... I will consider what you say..

Mar 13, 2023 at 9:49 AM Post #510 of 564
Sorry i can help more, but i never heard Empyriean. I was have plans for listen to them, so for a Grado PS2000, but i was pretty happy with Pioneer and now with D8000. But i recommend for you to give Anni a chance. I know people run this Meze from DAPs so its must be no challange for Anni :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back