Chord Anni
Mar 13, 2023 at 8:28 PM Post #511 of 564
Welcome @Alucard1 ... I also have QUTEST and thinking about head-amps for my Meze EMPYREAN. However I am a little concerned about the low effective power of the ANNI for 32Ohm headphones ... would it provide sufficient headroom that the EMPYREANS crave ? I appreciate it will probably 'drive them OK' but how well will it bring out the qualities of the headphone ?
empyrean is easy to drive and the anna will do a fine job...no issues

May 2, 2023 at 11:40 PM Post #512 of 564
Hi!

I bought for Chord Anni Sbooster BOTW MKII Linear Power Supply - 15-16V. But got it without an adapter for Anni. Finding out the reasons for the lack of an adapter, I received the following answer «I have explored the options with our operations team and also talked with the SBooster distributor, they have advised us that the SBooster 15v will not have sufficient overall power to supply the Anni, even though the Voltage and amps are within limits due to the way Amplifiers draw power. So I am very sorry after further consideration we cannot recommend that you use the SBooster 15v with the Anni. The Anni power supply is specially configured to be able to daisy chain other chord devices so this also requires a different power architecture, which is built in. The SBooster will not have the power to run the Anni sustainably and safely.»

Question:

If I don't use Anni as an amplifier for loudspeaker and don't use its 12V power output for Huei and Qutest, then 2.5A from Sbooster will be enough?

Sincerely, Zhanat

Jun 8, 2023 at 3:10 AM Post #513 of 564
Anni will be ok with TA Solitaire P? Someone?

Jun 18, 2023 at 7:53 AM Post #514 of 564
I purchased a Chord Anni headphone amp to pair with my Qutest DAC. I am very happy with the sound quality of the Anni, which is quite detailed, very musical, and with a hint of warm. However, I am disappointed with the noisy fan, which dominates the sound in my work/listening room and is a problem especially with open headphones. (I have put a lot of effort into making my PC build as quiet as possible, so the noise from the Anni is especially frustrating.)

I am looking for a headphone amp that would be a good upgrade to the Anni without straying away from the signature Chord sound. The Hugo TT2 seems like a natural choice, but it is quite expensive. I am also open to non-Chord headphone amps, such as the Violectric V281 or SPL Phonitor 2. Before the Anni I had a Topping A90 and did not like nearly as much as the Anni - the A90 was a bit colder and certainly not as musical as the Anni.

I would appreciate your recommendations for a quiet, high-quality headphone amp that would be a good upgrade to the Chord Anni. Does it make sense to consider anything else than the TT2 for a Chord fanboy?

My headphones are Focal Radiance and HEDD headphones. I'm considering getting the DH800, which is known to be picky when it comes to amplification.
I listen to classics, opera but also a fair share of sythpop and tehno.

Aug 28, 2023 at 12:39 PM Post #515 of 564
Heard Anni in a stack with Qutest at Canjam London 2023, on the Chord stand. Came away impressed by the set up, especially when using my U12t.
That weekend I found a decently priced one in eBay and it's been with me for over a week now.

It has its quirks for sure: rather pointless speaker amp, the fan, the finicky volume control. But the sound quality is definitely there, one way I would describe it is "authoritative", another way of saying it seems to be effortlessly in control of the sound. Don't know if that makes sense but that's what I'm getting. It also does well with detail and dynamics. For example, it makes the HD6XX shine like no other amp I've tried them with.

I'm currently A/B-ing it with my Violectric V280 (both fed by Schiit Bifrost), another powerful solid state amp. The Vio comes very close , and benefits from the fully balanced design. But it has a little bit of "brittleness" in the treble which makes it sound a little less coherent.

The question I'm looking to answer: is the Anni worth the extra spend? hoping to answer it soon so I can recoup some of the investment, don't think I need both.

Aug 29, 2023 at 3:57 PM Post #516 of 564
For me is worth the mony, he have that overall big sound i always follow, with big bass added . Set of the higher frequency is also good, they are current and they have quality, no necessary spikes on the higher midrange, breatheable space, with Qutest very nice hologarphy, imaging and countors. Fast little amplifier full of emotions. The bass is intresting. Its very big with headphones but not kinda full, and that makes every headphones sound super clear and precise. Its also not just good but very orginial sounding peace. Ive read somewhere in some review, its perfect companion for Meze Emyriean. I think he is more suitable for high eficcent planars, but for dynamics he does job too. He controls the sound like sport car, with power and drive, its sound strong and smooth but never soft. For me does the job with my SE Master 1 and even better with Final D8000. id like hear him with HEDDphone, TA Solitaire or some ZMF hp.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2023 at 4:45 PM Post #517 of 564
Dropping back into this thread to say that I'm loving the Anni with IEMs: no hiss or background noise, and if the fan was ever an issue (it isn't a major one for me) then the "closed back" nature of IEMs neutralises this. But more importantly, it has a way of blowing up the soundstage and stamping its authority on the sound in a fantastic way. I think its speaker amplifier roots shine through on IEMs in particular.
For reference I've used it the U12t and the recently acquired Spirit Torino Twin Pulse IEM. Both very good performers and the Anni squeezes the best out of them.

Nov 7, 2023 at 11:17 PM Post #518 of 564
I just purchased some Meze Elites and current DAC is a Qutest. I’m debating getting either the Anni, Ferrum stack, or just upgrading all together to a TT2. The fan noise is concerning as it will be in my bedroom where I sleep. Aside from that, the Anni seems like an interesting option, but would love some feedback - is the TT2 the better move? I do prefer a slightly warmer and thicker sound overall.

Nov 8, 2023 at 10:32 AM Post #519 of 564
I just purchased some Meze Elites and current DAC is a Qutest. I’m debating getting either the Anni, Ferrum stack, or just upgrading all together to a TT2. The fan noise is concerning as it will be in my bedroom where I sleep. Aside from that, the Anni seems like an interesting option, but would love some feedback - is the TT2 the better move? I do prefer a slightly warmer and thicker sound overall.
In 5 days my Anni will have been in use for 2 years... I have not yet heard the fan. I use the Chord stands with Anni mounted below Qutest. If you are really worried the route to certainty is to go with a product with no spinning parts.

Edit: Making my home as quiet as I can I can, and running Anni/Qutest harder than normal heating it up, I can hear the gentle white noise of the fan from up to 12 inches away... Earphones in or headphones on, no music playing, it is silent. Maybe the fan gets noisy with wear or accumulation of dust?

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2023 at 1:14 PM Post #520 of 564
In 5 days my Anni will have been in use for 2 years... I have not yet heard the fan. I use the Chord stands with Anni mounted below Qutest. If you are really worried the route to certainty is to go with a product with no spinning parts.

Edit: Making my home as quiet as I can I can, and running Anni/Qutest harder than normal heating it up, I can hear the gentle white noise of the fan from up to 12 inches away... Earphones in or headphones on, no music playing, it is silent. Maybe the fan gets noisy with wear or accumulation of dust?
Have your heard the TT2 vs the Anni/Qutest?

Nov 8, 2023 at 2:22 PM Post #521 of 564
Well, if it comes to the fan, i must say i heard him pretty obvious even when Anni is off. When i listen the music, no problem realy. I got PC in that room, so its not audiable. But when i go to sleep and room is silent, only Anni give a hisss. Its louder when its on but when its off its acceptable. For me of course. I kinda use to it. But all i want from this amp it is option, when he is in ready mode, that cooler could give me a break. If you want him completly silent, you must switch Anni off from mains. For me its a only con in this amp.

Nov 8, 2023 at 2:26 PM Post #522 of 564
I can hear the gentle white noise of the fan from up to 12 inches away...
I can hear main in all over the room. Daylight time little less, but in the night its pretty audiable. After im over the listening, hes quite hot and that hiss is more silent after couple of minutes after switching unit off. But stiil present.

Nov 8, 2023 at 3:27 PM Post #524 of 564
Hmm ok, sounds like the fan may not be a deal breaker then
For me isnt. I dont see many flows in this amplifer, sound its not one of them, and build neither. Fan i think is only flow. As a headphone amplifer its kinda little star for me, maybe the best ive heard. As a speaker amp - dont know. Maybe i just wont this high gain switch for hp too. Just for the cause.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back