Darkvoice 336i & 336SE Tuberolling PartII
Feb 9, 2024 at 11:35 AM Post #14,461 of 14,501
Why do I want a Psvane now ..

Because if the Shuguang Black Treasure CV181-z you loved back in the day was a Toyota, the Psvane tubes now are Lexus! :sunglasses:

Feb 12, 2024 at 12:57 AM Post #14,462 of 14,501
Feb 12, 2024 at 12:59 AM Post #14,463 of 14,501
Feb 12, 2024 at 1:02 AM Post #14,464 of 14,501
Because if the Shuguang Black Treasure CV181-z you loved back in the day was a Toyota, the Psvane tubes now are Lexus! :sunglasses:
"Toyo Lexus all the same Japanese" :relaxed::relaxed::relaxed:

Feb 21, 2024 at 2:52 PM Post #14,465 of 14,501
"Toyo Lexus all the same Japanese" :relaxed::relaxed::relaxed:
Sigh. :relieved:

same_same.jpg

Feb 22, 2024 at 7:08 PM Post #14,466 of 14,501
There is a lot of chatter that the Apos 6SN7 is made by PSVane and just rebranded. I am only passing on what I've read on some other threads, and can neither confirm or deny this myself. But if I was thinking about buying some of those, I would dig in on the research and try to determine if the chatter is true. Nothing at all wrong with PSVanes (in fact the couple I have are very nice tubes), just that if Apos is simply rebranding and then charging 3x the price, well, let's just say I wouldn't be real impressed.
Which PSVANE Versions have you tried? I have the CV181-TII which I love and the blue globe 6SN7 version that imo, sucks and I paid way too much for.

Mar 2, 2024 at 9:35 AM Post #14,468 of 14,501
Does anyone know if a 6ns7 socket saver can be used in the 6as7 socket they are both 8 pin to 8 pin ?
The 6as7 socket savers arnt listed anywhere but there's plenty 6ns7 to 6ns7 sockets advertised.
Does anyone know if a 6ns7 socket saver can be used in the 6as7 socket they are both 8 pin to 8 pin ?
The 6as7 socket savers arnt listed anywhere but there's plenty 6ns7 to 6ns7 sockets advertised.
They're the same socket. Use it.

Mar 5, 2024 at 9:33 AM Post #14,470 of 14,501
Bummer
Been giving lot of thinking to buy a new turntable (Having a small treasure of vinyl discs) till I finally did bite the bullet and got the Music Hall MMF-5.3 with an Ortofon 2M Blue cartridge and plugged it into my Mcintosch amp only to discover that digital music is way better after comparing same songs playing on both medias.
Guys forget about turntables unless you would like to have a $1,200 nice piece of wood for decoration.

Mar 5, 2024 at 10:02 AM Post #14,471 of 14,501
Bummer
Been giving lot of thinking to buy a new turntable (Having a small treasure of vinyl discs) till I finally did bite the bullet and got the Music Hall MMF-5.3 with an Ortofon 2M Blue cartridge and plugged it into my Mcintosch amp only to discover that digital music is way better after comparing same songs playing on both medias.
Guys forget about turntables unless you would like to have a $1,200 nice piece of wood for decoration.

While I have limited experience with Vinyl, I've heard the Ortofon 2M blue before, and its a very clean and neutral sounding cartridge to me. Maybe you need something more colored like a Nagaoka MP-200? Or even more different something like a Grado cartridge? I had personally preferred the latter choices over the Ortofon myself.

Mar 5, 2024 at 10:18 AM Post #14,472 of 14,501
Bummer
I understand you might be let down, but you’re wrong. Okay, now once that sets in. :smile_phones:

I have the same cartridge on a Rega RP1 that I did some upgrades to. Glass platter, better isolation, belt swap. Still has the stock tone arm, it’s just an MDF plinth and their entry level TT. But I have it on a 4” solid wood block.

Upgrading to the blue 2m was noticeable but the biggest upgrade to my vinyl audio was using a tube preamp instead of the phono input on my integrated receiver. I have the Pro-Ject Tube Box DS. I also noticed further improvements by swapping out the NOS tubes with some vintage USA tubes.

There’s many variables including vinyl quality being a big one, but based on your info alone, maybe try a dedicated phono preamp.

Attachments

• IMG_7363.jpeg
    IMG_7363.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7364.jpeg
    IMG_7364.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Mar 5, 2024 at 12:08 PM Post #14,473 of 14,501
I understand you might be let down, but you’re wrong. Okay, now once that sets in. :smile_phones:

I have the same cartridge on a Rega RP1 that I did some upgrades to. Glass platter, better isolation, belt swap. Still has the stock tone arm, it’s just an MDF plinth and their entry level TT. But I have it on a 4” solid wood block.

Upgrading to the blue 2m was noticeable but the biggest upgrade to my vinyl audio was using a tube preamp instead of the phono input on my integrated receiver. I have the Pro-Ject Tube Box DS. I also noticed further improvements by swapping out the NOS tubes with some vintage USA tubes.

There’s many variables including vinyl quality being a big one, but based on your info alone, maybe try **a dedicated phono preamp**
** 🗝

Mar 5, 2024 at 7:08 PM Post #14,474 of 14,501
Bummer
Whoa. @therremans already laid it out, but what are you using for a phono stage? IME, the phono stage makes a bigger difference than any cartridge you can buy. Tubes and vinyl seem to be a marriage made in heaven, and while there are very good and very accomplished solid-state phono stages, tubes just seem to bring the magic.

As well, 'table and cartridge setup are very important. Getting a cartridge totally dialed in for tangency, overhang, azimuth, and VTA takes some time, but the difference between a setup that is finely tuned and one that isn't can be night and day. Digital is easier. No question on that. But the rewards on vinyl are worth the effort, at least to me.

Mar 6, 2024 at 3:23 AM Post #14,475 of 14,501
While I have limited experience with Vinyl, I've heard the Ortofon 2M blue before, and its a very clean and neutral sounding cartridge to me. Maybe you need something more colored like a Nagaoka MP-200? Or even more different something like a Grado cartridge? I had personally preferred the latter choices over the Ortofon myself.

There’s many variables including vinyl quality being a big one, but based on your info alone, maybe try a dedicated phono preamp.

Whoa. @therremans already laid it out, but what are you using for a phono stage? IME, the phono stage makes a bigger difference than any cartridge you can buy. Tubes and vinyl seem to be a marriage made in heaven, and while there are very good and very accomplished solid-state phono stages, tubes just seem to bring the magic.

As well, 'table and cartridge setup are very important. Getting a cartridge totally dialed in for tangency, overhang, azimuth, and VTA takes some time, but the difference between a setup that is finely tuned and one that isn't can be night and day. Digital is easier. No question on that. But the rewards on vinyl are worth the effort, at least to me.
Thanks for all your insight and I totally agree that tubes and Vinyl marry so well, already the Music Hall MMF-5.3
https://www.musichallaudio.com/products/music-hall-mmf-5-3-turntable
is a good turntable as per most reviews as well as the Mcintosch Phono section but seems a tube preamp is needed to bring out the magic as well as a higher grade MM cartridge as in the Ortofon 2M Black or the Nakaoka MP-300 which add up to at least another grand opening to a newer money pit :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
I Think I will pass and keep enjoying DSD & FLAC audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back