FatFreq's Scarlet Mini Goes on Tour!
Jan 23, 2024 at 9:52 AM Post #46 of 71
Hi just wondering when this tour is kicking off!!! :)

Jan 28, 2024 at 3:02 PM Post #47 of 71
Feb 19, 2024 at 3:55 PM Post #48 of 71
This tour is moving along nicely.

Currently, the unit is with @Tex Irie and will be on it's way to @Jaytiss soon.

After, it will be on to @wolfstar76.

@emdeevee: Please post your feedback and thoughts whenever you're ready!

Feb 19, 2024 at 4:27 PM Post #49 of 71
Feb 19, 2024 at 4:29 PM Post #50 of 71
Feb 26, 2024 at 2:08 PM Post #52 of 71
If it's not too late, I'd love to sign up as well. Selma, CA (Central Valley CA)

Feb 26, 2024 at 3:57 PM Post #53 of 71
Whatever happened to the east coast tour? Was I just not selected?

Mar 3, 2024 at 2:42 AM Post #55 of 71
Whatever happened to the east coast tour? Was I just not selected?

Unfortunately, we only have one unit at this time - the east coast unit hasn't started yet.

Mar 3, 2024 at 4:07 AM Post #56 of 71
As the fictious Street Pharmacist and casually violent Narcoterrorist G-Money proclaimed "THE BASS"! The Fat Freq Scarlet Mini is indeed Audio Dope. I first encountered Fat Freq's wares at CanJam SoCal 2023. It was a bit of love at first listen but unfamiliarity with the brand that made me hesitate on buying the Maestro SE on sight. I recalled being smitten by the Grand Maestro and Scarlet Mini as well. I spent the following 5 months acquiring a healthy selection of IEMs and gear that appealed to my senses and more or less satiated any desire to buy anything audio related.

1709455230011.jpeg

Fate had other plans for my 2024 Listening Experiences when Good Brother Sebastien Chiu announced the Fat Freq Scarlet Mini Tour. I gladly signed up, and I'm thankful for the opportunity to audition this gem of an IEM outside of the confines of the Irvine Marriott Ballroom.

Allow me the latitude of completion as I indulge in the sweet sounds of music, free form expression from various moments while the Scarlet Mini is in my possession. All Listening occurred on a variety of sources including the venerable Questyle CMA Twelve Master, Sony NW-WM1ZM2, TEAC UD-505, Chord Mojo, Chord Hugo 2, iBasso DX300, and Cayin RU6.

02/20/2024:

By the time I started writing my thoughts I racked up 2 hours of listening (Tidal (Offline) --> Sony NW-WM1ZM2 (DSEE + Vinyl Processor Enabled) --> Fat Freq Scarlet Mini (Azla Crystal Medum Large Eartips)...

Tidal-->Roon-->Questyle CMA Twelve Master (Low Gain + High Bias) -->Fat Freq Scarlet Mini (Azla Crystal Medum Large Eartips):

RICH BOY SELLING CRACK, @##%$###$%%%(*&&# Syke!!!!! But the intro to this record is a thing of beauty. Always loved this song and it sounds full and sensual. Beautiful Music here.

1709455362362.png

Ari Lennox dropping life jewels here for the introverted: Your Furniture will not teach you how to @$#%*% Dougie!!! The Bombastic Bass response and her gorgeous vocals deliver a sense of jubilation as she describes the joy moving into her new residence. A humorous tune that's pretty relatable and sounds regal on the Scarlet Mini. I found myself replaying this track a few times, nodding to the sonic backdrop with my eyes closed.

1709455411016.png

Midnight rapidly approached As I started becoming more acclimated to the nuances of the Scarlet Mini, I started wondering about what owning a Grand Maestro would be like. While the Scarlet Mini fit me perfectly. Comfort wise; The highest compliment I can pay any IEM is that the fit is Westone like. The Westone W and Mach Series IEMs just disappear for me. The Scarlet Mini is definitely in that realm but with bass response and pressure my Legend Evo (still burning in under 45 hours) just doesn't produce at the moment. I definitely feel like I can fall asleep with the Scarlet Mini in my ears. The red cable in the tour kit reminds me of the Linum SuperBax cables in the sense that they are not affected by my glasses.

I also feel that the Scarlet Mini was tailormade for playing Digital Underground at fun volume levels. (preserve your hearing but do enjoy the music). I definitely appreciate the heft of the notes and presentation here. You definitely feel the bass on this track. Infectious Bassline and high energy track that makes the body move.

1709455438955.png

I noted that the Scarlet Mini definitely sounded awesome with R&B (Male & Female Vocals), Reggae (Dancehall), Jazz, & Hip - Hop (808's are the language of love). I do not believe that a Transducer only works with specific genres. However, some do a better job of accentuating the traits of some genres better than others due to acoustics, technology, tuning, fit, seal, and other variables I don't really care to discuss ever. While I wholeheartedly appreciate the Engineering, R&D that go into creating anything capable of playing music. I am so disinterested in debates about pinna gain and anything audio du jour. At the end of the day, I just want to relax and enjoy the music I gravitate toward in the best possible presentation. I think the Scarlet Mini understands the assignment and knows it's purpose. This IEM would be a Bass head’s delight. It's exuberant without going overboard, it's fun but knows the difference between too much and not enough. The highs are smooth too... Overall, the Scarlet Mini is a rather intoxicating blend of subterranean lows, slightly recessed mids, and smooth but sibilant free highs coupled with an excellent fit and scalability with desktop gear.

This is definitely a steal in its price range for connoisseurs of low frequency registers and fun tuning. I honestly would consider buying the penultimate version of the Scarlet Mini in Fat Freq's line up or the indomitable Grand Maestro. I also appreciate that I met the guys at Fat Freq during Can Jam SoCal. They were hospitable and I have no issue breaking bread with them. I'm impressed by what they have managed to achieve here.

This sounds so impassioned and intimate. Love this record here...

1709455481038.png

Frisson that feeling…. The Goosebumps… The Song Lyrics and Sonic Backdrop still gives me the chills. The music of my youth that got me through some dark times. The Scarlet Mini definitely makes an emotional connection that heightens my appreciation for the raps of Most Def, Talib Kweli, and Common (Sense) on this track. Hip - Hop is a beautiful artform the stories and creativity. C'est Magnifique.

1709455499944.png

This track sounds so smooth presentation wise and at this point I have been listening to music for roughly 7 hours. I am developing a great sense of appreciation for the capabilities of the Scarlet Mini.

1709455524622.png

Last one… for the night… It's past Bed Time... So, it's only fitting that I play my son’s lullaby song. Morbid name but this is one of the most beautiful compositions I was blessed to ever hear. These are the things that make you appreciate life and fill one's heart with thanksgiving. Sentimental meaning here.

1709455540920.png

02/21/2024:

12:47 AM …. Seriously the last one until daybreak...

Tidal-->Roon-->Questyle CMA Twelve Master (Low Gain + High Bias) -->Fat Freq Scarlet Mini (Azla Crystal Medum Large Eartips):

Beating Down The Block Knocking Pictures Off The Wall….

1709455610822.png

Luscious Sonorous vocals…. Underscores how addictive the presentation of the Scarlet Mini is. It is 1 AM and work is in 5 Hours... Sheesh… still listening to this IEM as everything sounds like I'm hearing it for the first time because the bass is visceral and can literally be felt. How this is done without bone conduction is quite fascinating. Endorphins and such! YEE!!!

1709455626744.png

02/21/2024:

Tidal-->UAPP-->iBasso DX312 (D5 Filter, High Gain)-->Fat Freq Scarlet Mini (Azla Crystals Eartips Medium Large)

I think it's safe to say the Scarlet Mini is growing on me. I find this pairing to be harmonious. I'm spending every non meeting moment today listening to the DX312 and Scarlet Mini.

02/22/2024:

Tidal (Offline) - - >Sony NW-WM1ZM2 (High Gain, High-Res Streaming, DSEE Ultimate, DC Phase Linearizer Type A Standard, Vinyl Processor Turntable) - - >Fatfreq Scarlet Mini

I revisited this chain a few times and have mixed feelings about the Fatfreq Scarlet Mini being paired with the Sony NW-WM1ZM2. The combination left a little something to be desired. Maybe I didn’t listen loud enough… whatever the case was, This wasn’t my favorite pairing. I purposely decided not to compare the Scarlet Mini to the IEMs I own as I wanted to continue to enjoy the Scarlet Mini on its own merits.

Tidal-->UAPP-->Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra - - >Chord Hugo 2 - - >Fatfreq Scarlet Mini

This pairing seemed to make the sound staging of the Scarlet Mini sound a little wider. The Bass tightened up slightly. I spent the evening listening to R&B, and Hip Hop to see if there were any tracks that sounded any different than they did on the previous sources.

1709455775295.jpeg

This track jumped out at me while listening the weight of the notes just made this composition sound mesmerizing.

1709455812782.jpeg

Absolutely Epic!! The percussive elements in this gem of a record!!! Love me some Teena Marie!! :dove:

I wasn't able to resume listening to music for the remaining time I had with the Scarlet Mini. Given the collection of IEMs I own, I really enjoyed my time with the Scarlet Mini. I like it a lot. However, I'm more interested in hearing the Grand Maestro and Maestro SE again. I think the Scarlet Mini is easily recommendable for Bass Enthusiasts. I also feel that the Scarlet Mini performed better with sources like the Hugo 2, Questyle CMA Twelve Master, and iBasso DX312. All positives aside, if I owned the Scarlet Mini, I would only listen to it on Pay Days and 3 day weekends. It is enriched, fun, and jubilant. Definitely not my personal first choice for a daily driver but definitely something I can rock with when I need to feel my music. Good Job Fatfreq!!!

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2024 at 4:14 PM Post #57 of 71
Tour list just went through a massive round of updates and movement.

If you are in the EU and US and don't see your name listed, it's probably because you didn't specific your closest location - country, state, etc.

I need that to add you to the list, thanks!

Mar 19, 2024 at 4:18 PM Post #58 of 71

If you are in the EU and US and don't see your name listed, it's probably because you didn't specific your closest location - country, state, etc.

Who is my next? I saw on the list is @Jaytiss, but I actually received the tour kit from him.

Mar 19, 2024 at 4:20 PM Post #59 of 71
Mar 19, 2024 at 4:29 PM Post #60 of 71

Thank you Sebastian, delighted to be on the EU leg of the tour! 👍🏻😉

Users who are viewing this thread

Back