Feliks Audio Echo (new budget OTL amp)
Jun 13, 2023 at 6:59 AM Post #481 of 542
Just received my Echo MkII. I find them fantastic paired with the 109 Pro's. I used briefly the stock tubes, but I replaced driver tubes with Tungsram tubes and WOW!
This is a match made in heaven! Voices and separation of instruments are fantastic!
This amp is sensible to tube change...any other very good suggestion for improvement?
Thanks,

Jun 16, 2023 at 11:24 AM Post #483 of 542
Just got my Echo MK II back from Upscale Audio. They ran a full service check on it, cleaned the sockets, cleaned the tubes and ran about a day of testing on it. I'm thrilled with the result.

Completely black background, they eliminated the buzz I was experiencing. It's never sounded like this.

If anyone has any issues with their units I couldn't recommend the team at Upscale Audio enough. It wasn't cheap but wow has it ever made a big difference.

Jun 24, 2023 at 10:41 AM Post #484 of 542
I was able to obtain the BEL ECC88 and have been listening for a couple days. Needs to settle a bit but already it’s magical. Still running the stock power tubes, can anyone comment on what changes they’ve heard when rolling those?

Jun 24, 2023 at 8:41 PM Post #485 of 542
I use "6N6P OTK Nevz gold grid true NOS, milspec red tip" in combination with "BEL SE88CC, gold contacts NOS" tubes. One of the Bel tubes actually began to produce a slight hum between 45% and 90% volume (which was not present a few days ago, maybe it will go away), so i just crank the Echo to max volume and control it via the preamp on the Spring. That way it's dead silent.
I just swapped to Brimar E88CC and then the original OTK E88CC tubes and they are clearly leagues behind (for me at least), so i went back 15 minutes later.

If i don't get the same or better (if that is even possible) experience with the Envy for the Utopia i will keep the Echo. To be fair, it does not sound like the original congested and overly aggressive Utopia anymore, it's just pure enjoyment, sure a more aggressive enjoyment but still an enjoyment! And it has soundstage, and oh boy, what a fantastic one!
I wonder if the Envy will have the same magic with non-planars or if it will be way more in that solid state with a bit of tube sound direction. I also want to get a Verite Open which would maybe sound better (at least very different) on the Echo than on the Envy.
Seems like i go full tube mode when it will arrive, i most likely won't keep the Ferrum stack (well, i still have the RME).

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2023 at 8:49 PM Post #486 of 542
I use "6N6P OTK Nevz gold grid true NOS, milspec red tip" in combination with "BEL SE88CC, gold contacts NOS" tubes. One of the Bel tubes actually began to produce a slight hum between 45% and 90% volume (which was not present a few days ago, maybe it will go away), so i just crank the Echo to max volume and control it via the preamp on the Spring. That way it's dead silent.
I just swapped to Brimar E88CC and then the original OTK E88CC tubes and they are clearly leagues behind (for me at least), so i went back 15 minutes later.

If i don't get the same or better (if that is even possible) experience with the Envy for the Utopia i will keep the Echo. To be fair, it does not sound like the original congested and overly aggressive Utopia anymore, it's just pure enjoyment, sure a more aggressive enjoyment but still an enjoyment! And it has soundstage, and oh boy, what a fantastic one!
I wonder if the Envy will have the same magic with non-planars or if it will be way more in that solid state with a bit of tube sound direction. I also want to get a Verite Open which would maybe sound better (at least very different) on the Echo than on the Envy.
Seems like i go full tube mode when it will arrive, i most likely won't keep the Ferrum stack (well, i still have the RME).

All I can say is that I feel good owning the Echo if you also like it when you’re so clearly in summit-fi territory. :)

Jun 24, 2023 at 8:58 PM Post #487 of 542
Ahahaha, i am very satisfied with its sound on the not extreme hard to drive stuff. I thought about selling it and getting an Euforia, but honestly it does not make sense for me. I would need to tube roll again (and its tubes are more expensive) and i do not have a huge collection of high impedance headphones (sold all of them) that would benefit from it (even after getting a VO).
I honestly think i should get another 300-600 ohm headphone just so i can enjoy it a bit more, well, i can always grab the DT1990 from my dad haha.

Honestly, i would have 100% sold my Utopia with only a solid state amp (OG one btw, if you can get one for under 2k and a decent cable, because the standard cable is garbage, that's so worth it).

I bought the Envy without any tubes from a dealer and got one expensive pair for each tube, i won't tube roll it unless i am really disliking the Linlai E-6SN7 that i got for it. I heard the Envy at Highend Munich and it did sound so much better with hard to drive planars (especially the Susvara) than the Ferrum stack, so i really wanted one.

What headphones are you using with the Echo?

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2023 at 4:34 PM Post #490 of 542
I've listed my Echo MKII in the classifieds. Its mint and comes with the stock tubes as well as Mullard 6922's. If anyone is looking for a unit I can do cash or trade for an Arya Stealth.

Jul 13, 2023 at 4:46 PM Post #491 of 542
Still happy with my Feliks Audio Echo, my best upgrade tube gotten some imbalance. So I am back to test stock tubes. Not bad IMO.

Feeding it here with N7 lineout, spectacular performance.

DSCF3052 1.jpg

Jul 13, 2023 at 5:30 PM Post #492 of 542
Still happy with my Feliks Audio Echo, my best upgrade tube gotten some imbalance. So I am back to test stock tubes. Not bad IMO.

Feeding it here with N7 lineout, spectacular performance.

DSCF3052 1.jpg
Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts and your beautiful setup!

I can fully agree - the Echo is already outstanding with its original (Tube) Loading.

Jul 31, 2023 at 12:51 PM Post #495 of 542
Received the Echo II today, my first "grown up" tube amp.
First listen through Focal Clear, and although I understand this amp is not really made for such low impedance headphones, the sound was VERY interesting. The bass is very special, never heard such bass on the Clears - how to put it, very rounded, rumbly, fleshy...

Switched things up later on and put the Echo II as preamp between Schiit Bifrost and Violectric V280, still listening through Clear. Bass is more tamed but what was already a fairly "dark" chain has been darkened further - although sounds coherent and very fun, may be a bit too much of a good thing.

I have ordered a second hand HD6XX and look forward to matching Echo II with a suitable headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back