Ferrum WANDLA GoldenSound Edition - Pre-Orders are Live!
Mar 17, 2024 at 8:51 PM Post #16 of 67
Ferrum didn't know when there would be a significant Wandla revision ready or a Wandla 2 etc at the time they released Wandla.

When you buy a TV, they don't tell you when a new version will come out and they likely don't know when it'll be ready themselves.

When you buy a headphone, the manufacturer provide the anticipated release date of their next one and at that time they likely don't know either.

But in either of those cases once a new one is released, there's a slim chance you'll be able to get it without selling your old one and buying the new one.

Products should be released when it's sensible and there is a worthwhile reason to do so. That's the case here. Worthwhile and desirable features were fully developed, and enabling people to get the new one for almost the same as the price delta as well means no, there really was no reason to delay this release.
Right, but now you're moving the goalposts from "there's no issue" to "actually most companies suck on this front and we suck slightly less". The comparison to TVs and headphones is also quite a false equivalency.

What's sensible for a companies profits and what's sensible from the perspective of respecting your customers investments aren't the same thing, I'm making a point for the 2nd one.

What this really comes do to is: do you think it's reasonable that customers be asked to pay $600 on top of their already $3000 investment if they want to maintain their product as the flagship, less than a year after it's release? I think not.

Obviously I don't expect you to agree given that you are trying to sell a product, so I'll stop here.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2024 at 8:55 PM Post #17 of 67
What this really comes do to is: do you think it's reasonable that customers be asked to pay $600 on top of their already $3000 investment if they want to maintain their product as the flagship, less than a year after it's release?
I don't think people should be buying anything for the sake of it being a flagship and don't think companies should make decisions on that basis. These are hifi products that serve a purpose and function, not fashion or status symbols (or investment vehicles).
They're meant to provide a better value experience for your music.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2024 at 8:59 PM Post #18 of 67
I don't think people should be buying anything specifically because it's a flagship and don't think companies should make decisions on that basis. These are hifi products that serve a purpose and function, not fashion or status symbols.
Yeah that line of thinking kinda stops working when your company blasts the very word on their front page and marketing as the focal point.

Mar 17, 2024 at 10:18 PM Post #19 of 67
Is the GoldenSound Wandla "better" than the standard Wandla, or is it just tweaked different to appeal to different preferences?

Am I right that the hardware on the GoldenSound Wandla is identical to the hardware on the standard Wandla, and the only difference is the firmware, which brings some additional features and some different methods of processing? If so, why is the GoldenSound Wandla $500 more new verses a new standard Wandla?

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2024 at 10:25 PM Post #20 of 67
Watching the video is just different sound profiles and features. The hardware is the same.

Some may prefer them to the original and find them more advanced and others may not.

It’s subjective. Just like any software update. Considering the cost of upscaling software which you need to run off a beefy machine, this has some of them built in. I personally feel if you like the sound profiles the costs are justified.

Mar 17, 2024 at 10:29 PM Post #21 of 67
Yeah that line of thinking kinda stops working when your company blasts the very word on their front page and marketing as the focal point.
Do you currenlty own the Wandla? Just curious.

If not, you're upset that Ferrum has decided to release an alernate version of a unit they currently manufacturer? I currently had the Wandla on order through Headphones.com and they're letting me upgrade. Now if I would've just received the Wandla, would I have been a little annoyed, yeah. But I also know the customer service at Headphones.com is top notch and they would easily take care of their customer base. If I purchased the unit over 6+ months ago, there would be nothing to be upset/annoyed about. If you have the money to spend $3k on a headphone DAC, then spending an additional $500 is probably within your budget. If it's something you can't afford, then maybe you should look at an alternate. That's not saying anything other then prioritize the money you spend.

I'm looking forward to adding the new Wandla GoldenSound edition. Hopefully I won't be waiting too much longer! Especially since headphones.com is the only company receiving them in the states. Which if that is the case, I'm surprised Sam doesn't have a better idea on the date they'll be able to ship mine :wink:

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2024 at 1:14 AM Post #22 of 67

I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to get at. This isn't exactly new in this industry.

Mar 18, 2024 at 8:37 AM Post #24 of 67
bad practices being common place is not the justification that you think it is
What makes anything they did here a "bad practice." They're a compnay with a superior product and chose to release yet another version of it. Giving their account base more options. How is this in any way "bad."

Mar 18, 2024 at 9:08 AM Post #25 of 67
bad practices being common place is not the justification that you think it is
I get the frustration but the price difference would be the same. The golden sound cost more than the base Wandala. I’d agree it would be messed up to make the upgrade cost more than this new unit, but they didn’t do that.

Mar 18, 2024 at 9:32 AM Post #26 of 67
Quite a smooth brain take by Hail.
Doesn't even sound like he owns a Wandla dac... not sure why he's crying.

I think "upgrade" was a bad choice of words to use for the GS edition. If that word was even used, not sure.

It's literally just integrated DSP, like one could buy a physical break out box to do. Would Hail get mad because Sweetwater is selling DSP boxes for $600?
Of course not.

It's an optional add-on because maybe people don't want to spend $600 extra on DSP, so than just get the regular Wandla.

Man, I hate even making this post in fear Hail will response and keep spamming the thread. I just want to show support for GS.

Mar 18, 2024 at 12:55 PM Post #27 of 67
Quite a smooth brain take by Hail.
Doesn't even sound like he owns a Wandla dac... not sure why he's crying.

I think "upgrade" was a bad choice of words to use for the GS edition. If that word was even used, not sure.

It's literally just integrated DSP, like one could buy a physical break out box to do. Would Hail get mad because Sweetwater is selling DSP boxes for $600?
Of course not.

It's an optional add-on because maybe people don't want to spend $600 extra on DSP, so than just get the regular Wandla.

Man, I hate even making this post in fear Hail will response and keep spamming the thread. I just want to show support for GS.

Fair point!

RE: showing support for @GoldenSound, that's why I'm here as well, and in my opinion, Cameron has voiced their mentality on how they got to this clearly.

Mar 18, 2024 at 1:13 PM Post #28 of 67
My usb won’t fit in it, nice looking fair price point.

Mar 18, 2024 at 1:46 PM Post #29 of 67
Firmware for $600? I’d be pissed if I bought the original.
Am I right that the hardware on the GoldenSound Wandla is identical to the hardware on the standard Wandla, and the only difference is the firmware, which brings some additional features and some different methods of processing? If so, why is the GoldenSound Wandla $500 more new verses a new standard Wandla?
:thinking:

Buy the firmware with the new unit for a $100 discount.

If hail hates this, he needs to avoid the hell out of HiFiMAN lol.

Also, don't look at the price of aftermarket cables. Don't. Heck, $200+ convolution filters. Just the digital filters!

I hope this is a success, if only because this whole "digitally add 2nd order distortion" thing just might cause ASR to explode. That is my only wish for this hobby.

Does this "digital headroom" thing in fact overclock the unit??

Mar 18, 2024 at 1:48 PM Post #30 of 67
:thinking:

Buy the firmware with the new unit for a $100 discount.

If hail hates this, he needs to avoid the hell out of HiFiMAN lol.

Also, don't look at the price of aftermarket cables. Don't. Heck, $200+ convolution filters. Just the digital filters!

I hope this is a success, if only because this whole "digitally add 2nd order distortion" thing just might cause ASR to explode. That is my only wish for this hobby.

Does this "digital headroom" thing in fact overclock the unit??
Worth noting that the Tube mode is not being done via DSP on the serce module.

We are deliberately misconfiguring the ESS chip itself.
The other features are done via DSP on Serce (with the exception of output voltage adjustment which is a new hardware feature)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back