Ferrum WANDLA GoldenSound Edition - Pre-Orders are Live!
Mar 19, 2024 at 1:20 PM Post #46 of 67
Whether you think there's value here or not. I think it's great that you can have your opinion and decide with your wallet. That'll be the true metric as to whether this is a good idea or not.

I for one, am in the midst of purchasing a used Wandla and looking forward to buying GoldenSound's package/edition/upgrade or what ever you want to call it. I think it's a great deal and clearly there's been a lot of effort and time put into pushing the hardware to bring more sound options to the consumer.

Mar 19, 2024 at 8:37 PM Post #47 of 67
I can’t wait to hear this DAC at some point. I tend to strongly agree with GoldenSound’s taste in audio gear and I appreciate his thoughtfulness. I’ve met him at CanJam and he is genuinely a nice person. Furthermore, the folks at Ferrum seem like hardworking and talented engineers that aren’t out to keep hiking prices because they can. Pricing in the audiophile world is all over the place. There are a lot of mind games being played, but these companies are not huge and the market for 3k+ DACs is not huge. They have to recoup R&D and break into profit off a smaller sample size.

Anyway, I get why people can be frustrated, but also give it a try if you can. I suspect it’s something special if Golden poured a lot of effort into its development.

Mar 24, 2024 at 1:43 AM Post #48 of 67
Firstly, there have been hardware changes, namely the voltage divider circuit. Which have costs associated with development, prototyping etc.

But also I just hope that someday people understand that software development itself is NOT free. And projects like this would never have happened in the first place if engineers weren't getting paid for their work.

Significant development time was spent on this project and I'm very proud of the result.

If the new changes/features are of no interest to you, the original Wandla is still available at the same price it was always sold at and this version's existence has no impact on you.
Apologies if this was already answered, but…will original Wandla owners opting for the GoldenSound upgrade be able to take advantage of the “Hardware Voltage Adjustment” feature?

Mar 25, 2024 at 6:26 PM Post #49 of 67
Apologies if this was already answered, but…will original Wandla owners opting for the GoldenSound upgrade be able to take advantage of the “Hardware Voltage Adjustment” feature?
He said only in the digital domain since the physical hardware is not there. It is a workaround. That being said that hardware circuit was not developed for the Goldensound Edition from what I found. There is already a hardware revision 4.0 board out there of the regular Wandla that has that hardware and is the only one that can use that specific feature of the Goldensound firmware as intended in hardware. I have no use for that anyway on my revision 3.0 board as I am paired with a Ferrum OOR which was made to work seamlessly with the Wandla anyway.

Mar 25, 2024 at 8:19 PM Post #50 of 67
He said only in the digital domain since the physical hardware is not there. It is a workaround. That being said that hardware circuit was not developed for the Goldensound Edition from what I found. There is already a hardware revision 4.0 board out there of the regular Wandla that has that hardware and is the only one that can use that specific feature of the Goldensound firmware as intended in hardware. I have no use for that anyway on my revision 3.0 board as I am paired with a Ferrum OOR which was made to work seamlessly with the Wandla anyway.
So we've actually changed this so that existing units will use the analog vol control ICs rather than digital attenuation, personally I think that's better.
Not as clean/purist as the voltage divider circuit but IMO better than digital attenuation

Mar 25, 2024 at 9:21 PM Post #53 of 67
Now it’s time to wonder if there will be an audible difference between the two boards with the GS FW as it relates to the “Hardware Voltage Adjustment” feature.
I'll need to get a hold of a regular Wandla. My GS should hopefully be here this week :)

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2024 at 5:53 PM Post #56 of 67
I have seen no mention of actual release date anywhere...I have preordered...any news on when this actually becomes available?
For US orders, units are currently with the distributor, just waiting for Ferrum to provide the final firmware with the sleep bug fixed this week then they'll be shipping.

For EU orders, you'll need to check with your dealer when they'll be shipping it to you.

Apr 3, 2024 at 6:51 PM Post #57 of 67
Does Headphones.com have a at home audition policy? For example with other DACs I've audition I'd provide a credit card authorization for the full amount of the DAC. Usually I'd receive shipping to me on the vendor then pay I for the return. If I never returned the unit or returned the unit damaged then I'd be required to buy the unit outright.

Is this at all possible? If so I'd be interested in this arrangement and audition.

Usually audition times are one to two weeks.

Please advise.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2024 at 9:08 PM Post #59 of 67
Does Headphones.com have a at home audition policy? For example with other DACs I've audition I'd provide a credit card authorization for the full amount of the DAC. Usually I'd receive shipping to me on the vendor then pay I for the return. If I never returned the unit or returned the unit damaged then I'd be required to buy the unit outright.

Is this at all possible? If so I'd be interested in this arrangement and audition.

Usually audition times are one to two weeks.

Please advise.
headphones.com does not currently have an at-home audition service unfortunately

Users who are viewing this thread

Back