Ferrum WANDLA GoldenSound Edition - Pre-Orders are Live!
Mar 18, 2024 at 1:51 PM Post #32 of 67
Already addressed that in previous comments
So you own a MEST and an HE1000 and are complaining about releasing new versions of things too soon? Out of all the products in this hobby, those two?

I need to lie down.

Mar 18, 2024 at 1:56 PM Post #33 of 67
So you own a MEST and an HE1000 and are complaining about releasing new versions of things too soon? Out of all the products in this hobby, those two?

I need to lie down.
I actually sold it all for a Genelec 8361 setup to get away from consoomer-y nonsense like this. Still like to keep up with the industry tho, evidently the nonsense remains.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2024 at 2:02 PM Post #34 of 67
I get the frustration but the price difference would be the same. The golden sound cost more than the base Wandala. I’d agree it would be messed up to make the upgrade cost more than this new unit, but they didn’t do that.
This assumes that a price increase above the normal price of $3000 is actually justified, which I don’t think I agree with.

The upgrade also *does* cost more than the price difference between a new unit with vs without it.

Mar 18, 2024 at 2:10 PM Post #35 of 67
Quite a smooth brain take by Hail.
Doesn't even sound like he owns a Wandla dac... not sure why he's crying.

I think "upgrade" was a bad choice of words to use for the GS edition. If that word was even used, not sure.

It's literally just integrated DSP, like one could buy a physical break out box to do. Would Hail get mad because Sweetwater is selling DSP boxes for $600?
Of course not.

It's an optional add-on because maybe people don't want to spend $600 extra on DSP, so than just get the regular Wandla.

Man, I hate even making this post in fear Hail will response and keep spamming the thread. I just want to show support for GS.
If you have to resort to childishness and analogies of false equivalence instead of actually refuting anything I said, then you’re probably wrong.

Sorry I want to call out bad practices instead of being parasocial :frowning2:

Mar 18, 2024 at 2:44 PM Post #36 of 67
If you have to resort to childishness and analogies of false equivalence instead of actually refuting anything I said, then you’re probably wrong.

Sorry I want to call out bad practices instead of being parasocial :frowning2:
Point made, point taken I'm sure. Any interested readers' can make up there own mind and decision from this point forward. All due respect to both sides.

Mar 19, 2024 at 6:02 AM Post #38 of 67
I wish more companies would offer upgrades like this to their existing products so that I would not need to sell my gear everytime to afford getting an upgrade to a unit I already own and love.

Mar 19, 2024 at 10:27 AM Post #40 of 67
It is really sad seeing people try (and fail) to rationalize asking $600 for a software update.

Incredibly odd position to take IMO.
I think whats equally sad is that you think you've made some sort of "point" here. You've done nothing but complain about a product you have no intention of even buying. You just felt like complaining about what you feel is a bad practice, which I'm still trying to figure that out. You think because they're charging $600 for a software update Ferrum is some terrible company? Move along Hail.

Mar 19, 2024 at 10:42 AM Post #41 of 67
It is really sad seeing people try (and fail) to rationalize asking $600 for a software update.

I think you’re missing what they’re selling here because it’s wrapped in a firmware.

It’s not an upgrade, it’s a different edition. Not too dissimilar from buying a plugin for a piece of software that gives different abilities. If you look at Adobe After Effects there’s probably thousands of plugins separate from the main software which some cost more than the actually software itself but provide some amazing benefits. It’s common practice out there if you look for it.

Now micro transactions in games. That’s another story and I don’t agree with, but I can see why people buy into them. It really comes down to what you value and how much of a change to something are you willing to spend.

This isn’t new and I agree with @AntonRisto, I wish more companies would do this rather than a minimal upgrade to a dac chip which doesn’t make much of a difference but plays into a numbers game.

Mar 19, 2024 at 10:44 AM Post #42 of 67
Firstly, there have been hardware changes, namely the voltage divider circuit. Which have costs associated with development, prototyping etc.

But also I just hope that someday people understand that software development itself is NOT free. And projects like this would never have happened in the first place if engineers weren't getting paid for their work.

Significant development time was spent on this project and I'm very proud of the result.

If the new changes/features are of no interest to you, the original Wandla is still available at the same price it was always sold at and this version's existence has no impact on you.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2024 at 10:55 AM Post #43 of 67
Firstly, there have been hardware changes, namely the voltage divider circuit. Which have costs associated with development, prototyping etc.

But also I just hope that someday people understand that software development itself is NOT free. And projects like this would never have happened in the first place if engineers weren't getting paid for their work.

Significant development time was spent on this project and I'm very proud of the result.

If the new changes/features are of no interest to you, the original Wandla is still available at the same price it was always sold at and this version's existence has no impact on you.

*Golden drops mic and walks away*

Mar 19, 2024 at 11:55 AM Post #44 of 67
Yeah, let’s stay positive - the best DAC at its price point got a new version with more features at a higher price point, as is deserved. If nobody buys it, that’s solid feedback - if people go nuts and even existing users all upgrade, job well done. I’m curious.

Mar 19, 2024 at 12:08 PM Post #45 of 67
I think you’re missing what they’re selling here because it’s wrapped in a firmware.

It’s not an upgrade, it’s a different edition. Not too dissimilar from buying a plugin for a piece of software that gives different abilities. If you look at Adobe After Effects there’s probably thousands of plugins separate from the main software which some cost more than the actually software itself but provide some amazing benefits. It’s common practice out there if you look for it.

Now micro transactions in games. That’s another story and I don’t agree with, but I can see why people buy into them. It really comes down to what you value and how much of a change to something are you willing to spend.

This isn’t new and I agree with @AntonRisto, I wish more companies would do this rather than a minimal upgrade to a dac chip which doesn’t make much of a difference but plays into a numbers game.
“It’s not an upgrade, it’s a different edition.” So, semantics?

You know a practice is terrible when it gets rationalized using Adobe as a comparison. That’s also a professional product which people use to make money, this is a consumer product.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back