GUSTARD H10 High-current Discrete Class A output Stage Headphone Amplifier
Dec 28, 2022 at 11:06 AM Post #5,521 of 5,552
Congratulations! The H10 puts out plenty of current and voltage to easily drive the HD800S. It should be an excellent pairing.
Just make sure that the op amps don't overheat. Best of luck 😊
Thank you!
It sounds fantastic, I am so pleased with it and it wasn't even that expensive, especially if I sell my previous amp, which is inferior to my ears.

Yes, I have read about overheating. When that can happen? If it's very hot summer and you listen to it for 10 hours on high volume?

And if it overheats what happens? You have to replace an opamp? Or it starts to burn? Should I buy replacement opamps, just in case?

Is there some kind of good quality heat spreader? I don't want my Gustard H10 to be damaged in any way. :)

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2022 at 11:16 AM Post #5,522 of 5,552
Thank you!
It sounds fantastic, I am so pleased with it and it wasn't even that expensive, especially if I sell my previous amp. Maybe 100 USD I will lose. (Okay, I'm in Hungary, so for us 100 USD is more :wink: )

Yes, I have read about overheating. When that can happen? If it's very hot summer and you listen to it for 10 hours on high volume?

And if it overheats what happens? You have to replace an opamp? Or it starts to burn? Should I buy replacement opamps, just in case?

Is there some kind of good quality heat spreader?
The overheating issue was the result of aftermarket op amps that were used in place of the H10's stock op amps.
The Burson V5 was a problem due to an improper voltage with the H10 that caused the overheating issue. Several H10
owners who swapped their stock op amps for Burson V5 op amps had over heating issues with their H10's. Some of the
H10's suffered serious damage to their printed circuit boards when the V5's overheated and caught fire.

If you read through the Gustard H10 thread you will find this information.

The H10 with the stock op amps should run cool.

Dec 28, 2022 at 11:21 AM Post #5,523 of 5,552
The overheating issue was the result of aftermarket op amps that were used in place of the H10's stock op amps.
The Burson V5 was a problem due to an improper voltage with the H10 that caused the overheating issue. Several H10
owners who swapped their stock op amps for Burson V5 op amps had over heating issues with their H10's. Some of the
H10's suffered serious damage to their printed circuit boards when the V5's overheated and caught fire.

If you read through the Gustard H10 thread you will find this information.

The H10 with the stock op amps should run cool.
But I have the Burson V5i

Does that make a difference?

Dec 28, 2022 at 12:10 PM Post #5,524 of 5,552
But I have the Burson V5i

Does that make a difference?

I believe the V5i was offered by Burson as a replacement for the V5 heating problem, and that the V5i does not have the overheating issue.

Dec 28, 2022 at 12:26 PM Post #5,525 of 5,552
I believe the V5i was offered by Burson as a replacement for the V5 heating problem, and that the V5i does not have the overheating issue.
Yes, in the meantime I have searched in this forum and found:

I got this back from Burson...

"Yes, the V5i is 100% compatible with the H10. Our fully discrete V5 sometimes has problems with the heat level inside the H10, depending on the user habits. The V5i has no problems with heat at all. : )
Best regards,
Alex"

I have found the v5i-s I have are actually the cheaper solution.
I am researching this topic, is it possible to install 2 Burson V6 vivids and leave two v5i-s in place? Like mixing the two types. What will happen?

If it is possible, duals or singles?

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2022 at 12:50 PM Post #5,526 of 5,552
Yes, in the meantime I have searched in this forum and found:

I got this back from Burson...

"Yes, the V5i is 100% compatible with the H10. Our fully discrete V5 sometimes has problems with the heat level inside the H10, depending on the user habits. The V5i has no problems with heat at all. : )
Best regards,
Alex"

I have found the v5i-s I have are actually the cheaper solution.
I am researching this topic, is it possible to install 2 Burson V6 vivids and leave two v5i-s in place? Like mixing the two types. What will happen?

If it is possible, duals or singles?
I've read that duals can cause more heating problems than singles...

Jan 1, 2023 at 2:41 PM Post #5,527 of 5,552
Just got a H10, use it with HiFiMan Edition XS, Philips Fidelios, AKG Q701s. I have so far changed the opamps to LT1355 and LT1122, I found this very revealing of source material but slightly unnatural in the trebble and midrange, too stringent, but super revealing. So I changed the LT1355 to an OPA2228P and this has been very pleasant. I have ordered 2 of the last qty (13) OPA627 opamps from Digikey and will report on the differences. I believe the H10 is a very high value product, and very fun with the changeable opamps.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2023 at 3:03 PM Post #5,528 of 5,552
Just got a H10, use it with HiFiMan Edition XS, Philips Fidelios, AKG Q701s. I have so far changed the opamps to LT1355 and LT1122, I found this very revealing of source material but slightly unnatural in the trebble and midrange, too stringent, but super revealing. So I changed the LT1355 to an OPA2228P and this has been very pleasant. I have ordered 2 of the last qty (13) OPA627 opamps from Digikey and will report on the differences. I believe the H10 is a very high value product, and very fun with the changeable opamps.

The H10 is a great sounding headphone amplifier and a tremendous value on the used market. Even new at $399.99 it was a bargain.
I hope you enjoy your H10 and wish you and yours a Happy New Year! 😊

Jan 6, 2023 at 11:24 AM Post #5,529 of 5,552
My small report on the Burson V6 Vivid upgrade on the Gustard H10

Pictures

Compared to the Burson v5i's, I feel an improvement, the quality of the bass has improved (became a little tighter, punchier), perhaps the mids have remained, or there is little noticeable change, perhaps the singer came closer, the treble has become more beautiful and clear.

So I think it was worth the 100 euros, at the moment I don't want anything better.

Replacing them wasn't particularly difficult, the Burson v5i's came out easily with the help of my fingers, putting in the new ones in wasn't particularly difficult either. However, the spacers (or adapters) were needed.

However I've had issues with the Gustard screws holding the cover, I was afraid that they would be damaged that they would stay inside (they were already quite worn out), so when assembling I only put back only one of the side screws which was in the better condition
So only one screw is screwed back, but at least it gets some air, some heat can escape where the holes are, and it will be easier the next time I take it apart, I only have to unscrew one screw. It holds it's cover well anyway.

Apr 25, 2023 at 6:49 PM Post #5,530 of 5,552
Update: I got the 627op amps and ran them with both the opa2228 and the lt1355. I found both sounded pretty good, each had a different strength and weakness. Eventually the Muses8820D came back in stock and that is running on the input with OPA627 on the output. I think this is a very nice combination, it's not the lowest noise but it has really nice organic sound. On well recorded music it is amazing through both AKG Q701s and Philips Fidelios. I may try the LT1122 again in the output position just as an experiment but I do not expect it to be better than the OPA627. Happy listening!

Apr 25, 2023 at 6:55 PM Post #5,531 of 5,552
Update: I got the 627op amps and ran them with both the opa2228 and the lt1355. I found both sounded pretty good, each had a different strength and weakness. Eventually the Muses8820D came back in stock and that is running on the input with OPA627 on the output. I think this is a very nice combination, it's not the lowest noise but it has really nice organic sound. On well recorded music it is amazing through both AKG Q701s and Philips Fidelios. I may try the LT1122 again in the output position just as an experiment but I do not expect it to be better than the OPA627. Happy listening!

The H10 is so underrated. I really enjoy mine. Glad that yours is bringing you so much musical enjoyment! 😊

Apr 26, 2023 at 7:50 AM Post #5,532 of 5,552
My small report on the Burson V6 Vivid upgrade on the Gustard H10

Pictures

Compared to the Burson v5i's, I feel an improvement, the quality of the bass has improved (became a little tighter, punchier), perhaps the mids have remained, or there is little noticeable change, perhaps the singer came closer, the treble has become more beautiful and clear.

So I think it was worth the 100 euros, at the moment I don't want anything better.

Replacing them wasn't particularly difficult, the Burson v5i's came out easily with the help of my fingers, putting in the new ones in wasn't particularly difficult either. However, the spacers (or adapters) were needed.

However I've had issues with the Gustard screws holding the cover, I was afraid that they would be damaged that they would stay inside (they were already quite worn out), so when assembling I only put back only one of the side screws which was in the better condition
So only one screw is screwed back, but at least it gets some air, some heat can escape where the holes are, and it will be easier the next time I take it apart, I only have to unscrew one screw. It holds it's cover well anyway.

Do you find that the H10 runs warm with any of the aftermarket opamps? I know that the Burson V5 ran too hot and did burn up
In many H10s. I think the V6 was used as a replacement. My H10 has the stock op amps and runs cool no matter
how long it's on.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2023 at 1:17 PM Post #5,533 of 5,552
Do you find that the H10 runs warm with any of the aftermarket opamps? I know that the Burson V5 ran too hot and did burn up
In many H10s. I think the V6 was used as a replacement. My H10 has the stock op amps and runs cool no matter
how long it's on.
Well, I have had no issues, the cover gets somewhat warm, but not hot.

Once I forgot to turn the amp off, then I went away for hours, and there was no problem.

Maybe in the summer I will be more careful, but I don't think the V6-s will melt, what I read here, only the V5-s melted.

I think it's good if the amp does not get direct sunlight in the summer, it may then overheat, but where mine is, I think it will be fine.

Apr 28, 2023 at 1:21 PM Post #5,534 of 5,552
Well, I have had no issues, the cover gets somewhat warm, but not hot.

Once I forgot to turn the amp off, then I went away for hours, and there was no problem.

Maybe in the summer I will be more careful, but I don't think the V6-s will melt, what I read here, only the V5-s melted.

I think it's good if the amp does not get direct sunlight in the summer, it may then overheat, but where mine is, I think it will be fine.

Glad that you're not having any overheating problems with the H10. It really is a nice sounding headphone amp.

Apr 28, 2023 at 1:32 PM Post #5,535 of 5,552
Glad that you're not having any overheating problems with the H10. It really is a nice sounding headphone amp.
Yeah, I'm completely satisfied. It wasn't too expensive and it has a very good sound. I am not planning to switch to anything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back