**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Mar 31, 2016 at 2:38 AM Post #21,481 of 22,116
Well all, just sold my HE400 to a head-fier, and while it's a wonderful headphone, I just don't use it enough to justify keeping it. Take care and enjoy that beautiful bass!

Mar 31, 2016 at 5:55 PM Post #21,482 of 22,116
Well all, just sold my HE400 to a head-fier, and while it's a wonderful headphone, I just don't use it enough to justify keeping it. Take care and enjoy that beautiful bass!

It's sad to hear it go, but at least it's in appreciative hands XD. I really feel like the HE-400 is/was a great entry into the Hifi world. A true example of why your headphones matter (and due to the quality, what your source and player are matter)

Apr 1, 2016 at 9:10 AM Post #21,483 of 22,116
I just picked these up used. The first time I heard them I was absolutely blown away. I've only had them for a day really, but I'm loving them so far. I think I just need an amp to really make them shine (first heard them with a Schiit Asgard).

Apr 1, 2016 at 12:56 PM Post #21,485 of 22,116

Do it, these babies really sing with a decent amp

Yes they do..............and sound really really good out of a speaker amp direct tap.  I've been running mine like this for over a year - it's very impressive and the bass is so sweet. 

Apr 1, 2016 at 1:10 PM Post #21,486 of 22,116

Do it, these babies really sing with a decent amp

I'm looking into getting a Schiit or something just as good for below $300 CDN at some point in time.

Apr 1, 2016 at 3:01 PM Post #21,489 of 22,116
  Look into Garage 1217 amps, they might be a little above your budget depending on the currency conversion rate

They look impressive as hell, the pricing isn't too bad. A bit above my budget thanks to the conversion rate, but worth checking out.

Apr 1, 2016 at 5:21 PM Post #21,490 of 22,116

They look impressive as hell, the pricing isn't too bad. A bit above my budget thanks to the conversion rate, but worth checking out.

I have an Ember but I was looking in to getting the Polaris for use in the bedroom where its compact size becomes a important consideration.

Apr 1, 2016 at 6:01 PM Post #21,491 of 22,116
I have an Ember but I was looking in to getting the Polaris for use in the bedroom where its compact size becomes a important consideration.

The polaris looks really interesting. Still more interested in the Schiit lineup. More research is needed lol.

Apr 1, 2016 at 6:04 PM Post #21,492 of 22,116
I've owned a few G1217 amps (polaris included) and can confirm they are truly wonderful paired with a HE-400. The amount of sheer power the Polaris can push is very welcome with the HE400 series. I'd strongly recommend considering them
biggrin.gif

My present favorite is a Starlight with a 6n30p though.

Do miss my Polaris quite often though... that's a really really nice amp.

Apr 1, 2016 at 6:25 PM Post #21,493 of 22,116
The polaris looks really interesting. Still more interested in the Schiit lineup. More research is needed lol.

Just some additional info:  I had the original M/M (sold) stack and currently have Modi2uber, Modi-optical, 2 Bifrost: MB & Uber (still thinking about 4490 update), Lyr2, and Asgard2.  I still like the Ember better with the HE-400 most of the time, the sound is just a touch warmer and the dynamics are ever so slightly better based on using similar tubes in the Lyr2 and Ember.  Being tube dependent it will change my preference depending on the tubes used in the Lyr2 and Ember.

Biggest reason to get Garage 1217 amp is they are the most flexible amps that I have found.

Apr 2, 2016 at 12:43 AM Post #21,494 of 22,116

I don't have experience with a Schiit so nothing to say on that. My HE-400 started off with a fiio e10k, volume wasn't an issue but I know they can sound better with better amp. Got myself a Project Ember II a while back and the 400 has really opened up. That tight & fast bass.
L3000.gif
I stand with those suggesting an amp from garage1217, they sound good, look good and and are well-built. Whether you want a solid state or tube amp, they're there. If you able to solder a kit yourself, you can save some money that way too. Otherwise, their pre-built kits are done really well.

Agree with @DavidA regarding flexibility. Selectable output resistance, auto-bias on the Ember, suitable for a bunch of cans and so on. Also, now that I'm beginning to try out different tubes, I really appreciate that the Ember only uses 1 tube as it is less costly and removes the need to look for a matching pair. Love the variety of tubes it supports too.

Granted, you can't exactly stack garage1217 stuff like you can with a Schiit stack if that is something you desire. Regardless, get a decent amp and you won't look back regarding the 400.

Apr 2, 2016 at 1:00 AM Post #21,495 of 22,116
  Just some additional info:  I had the original M/M (sold) stack and currently have Modi2uber, Modi-optical, 2 Bifrost: MB & Uber (still thinking about 4490 update), Lyr2, and Asgard2.  I still like the Ember better with the HE-400 most of the time, the sound is just a touch warmer and the dynamics are ever so slightly better based on using similar tubes in the Lyr2 and Ember.  Being tube dependent it will change my preference depending on the tubes used in the Lyr2 and Ember.

Biggest reason to get Garage 1217 amp is they are the most flexible amps that I have found.

The embler is a tube amp am I right? Is it worth getting something like the Embler over the Polaris?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back