Hifiman HE-400i and HE-560: From CES to Pre-Launch
Jan 28, 2014 at 2:36 AM Post #1,186 of 3,091
It is indeed very hard to tune planars past 2 kHz from what I have heard, so generally speaking balance throughout the upper mids and treble is hard to achieve, especially cranking out some proper air in the high treble.

Am not surprised if the HE-560 won't be up there with the he-6, it seems they did a hell of a job in tuning and pricking the right materials for that headphone, as they have achieved balance and treble air with overall very good distortion levels and clean sound.

Jan 28, 2014 at 8:06 AM Post #1,187 of 3,091
  I always thought that the HE6 SQ was far away from others in the pack. I would be very surprised if HiFiMAN has a new model close to it. It now appears that the HE6 is still king of the hill at this time.

It is indeed very hard to tune planars past 2 kHz from what I have heard, so generally speaking balance throughout the upper mids and treble is hard to achieve, especially cranking out some proper air in the high treble.

Am not surprised if the HE-560 won't be up there with the he-6, it seems they did a hell of a job in tuning and pricking the right materials for that headphone, as they have achieved balance and treble air with overall very good distortion levels and clean sound.

But I think for the most part the HE 560 will be a step up from the HE 500, not to mention the HE 560 should be easier to pair with amps. You know how EVERY one complains about the HE 6 with the "wrong" amp, the HE 560 most likely won't be as picky 

Jan 28, 2014 at 8:12 AM Post #1,188 of 3,091
^^ Agreed. That's really a huge acheivement and step forward for hifiman...the efficiency. The new pads look very promising. And the comfort seems to be universally better with the comfort strap and reduced weight. NOW, if they would just get of those @#%!!! connectors!! 
rolleyes.gif

Jan 28, 2014 at 8:38 AM Post #1,189 of 3,091
  ^^ Agreed. That's really a huge acheivement and step forward for hifiman...the efficiency. The new pads look very promising. And the comfort seems to be universally better with the comfort strap and reduced weight. NOW, if they would just get of those @#%!!! connectors!! 
rolleyes.gif

I am with you on the pads... you do NOT know how tempted I am to grab an HE 4... espically if one pops up for like SUPER cheap on the FS thread... and I wonder how the New Pads will sound with it 

Heck I wonder if the Jerg Pads will be in use after teh New Pads are released for sale... I have faith though... in the Jerg pads... or in Hifimans ability to perfect and mass market them <.< 

Jan 28, 2014 at 9:50 AM Post #1,190 of 3,091
nvm (found it)

Jan 28, 2014 at 10:13 AM Post #1,191 of 3,091
rolleyes.gif

we are making some small improvements to our connectors to make it easier for ppl to attach and detach. 
wink_face.gif

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
Jan 28, 2014 at 10:47 AM Post #1,192 of 3,091

we are making some small improvements to our connectors to make it easier for ppl to attach and detach. 
wink_face.gif

Please don't get me wrong, I love hifiman hp's. But the connectors need to be replaced not reworked. I realize from a production standpoint that switching connectors completely would be tough. But the current connectors are truthfully just awful and calling them universally disliked in not unfair. The connectors are the Achilles heel to these fine hp's IMO. 

Jan 28, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #1,193 of 3,091
Even though I havn't had one problem with the connectors of my HE-400 in the 2 years of my having them, I can reason with people who want a mini-xlr style connector like the Audeze headphones.  It wouldn't be a step backwards, let's just say that.

Jan 28, 2014 at 11:07 AM Post #1,194 of 3,091

Please don't get me wrong, I love hifiman hp's. But the connectors need to be replaced not reworked. I realize from a production standpoint that switching connectors completely would be tough. But the current connectors are truthfully just awful and calling them universally disliked in not unfair. The connectors are the Achilles heel to these fine hp's IMO. 

This topic can be a big debate... I think anyone who hasn't had a problem with the connector breaking is probably indifferent.  Those who have had problems seem to share heavier feedback.  Personally, I have no problem with the connectors and would almost prefer backwards compatibility over a whole new setup.  Granted I have only had my HE-4 for a few months.  Sure a universal cable would be terrific, but I cannot see more than a handful of people using that as an excuse not to purchase a future Hifiman headphone.  Ultimately, if Hifiman hasn't changed the connector this close to production launch, it would be highly unlikely.  

Jan 28, 2014 at 11:15 AM Post #1,195 of 3,091
If the cable connections are changed, sure would be nice if cables from the previous series can still be used. It would be disappointing to have a nice after-market cable be rendered useless should the desire to upgrade strike.

Jan 28, 2014 at 11:27 AM Post #1,196 of 3,091
I am fine with the connectors. No doubt mini xlr would be preferable, but considering the hassles Hifiman and people with incompatible cables would have... Just no.

Jan 28, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #1,197 of 3,091
  This topic can be a big debate... I think anyone who hasn't had a problem with the connector breaking is probably indifferent.  Those who have had problems seem to share heavier feedback.  Personally, I have no problem with the connectors and would almost prefer backwards compatibility over a whole new setup.  Granted I have only had my HE-4 for a few months.  Sure a universal cable would be terrific, but I cannot see more than a handful of people using that as an excuse not to purchase a future Hifiman headphone.  Ultimately, if Hifiman hasn't changed the connector this close to production launch, it would be highly unlikely.  

I understand your point. But as the OP of the he400 thread, I've had to field field volumes of questions and complaints about the cable for the past year and a half. Even though there are some of us who haven't had problems, I went to an after market cable to resolve my issues, the problem is widespread. 

While I do realize that there will be no connector replacement this time around, I feel that it's proper to keep bringing it to the attention to those who have Fang's ear. Maybe next time...

Jan 28, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #1,198 of 3,091
The problem with this connector to is the way it fundamentally works. It's a screw-on type. It ultimately feels cumbersome and fragile.
Pulling at the connector part can pop the whole thing out(which I believed happened to some by accident)
Walking with these anywhere is thus outta the question.
I'd really love for HFM to use xlr or jack connectors.
It is not enough to detract me from a day one buy, but it makes me very cautious when handling or using them.

Jan 28, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #1,200 of 3,091
If the cable connections are changed, sure would be nice if cables from the previous series can still be used. It would be disappointing to have a nice after-market cable be rendered useless should the desire to upgrade strike.

+1
If existing cables (stock and aftermarket) can't be used directly with the new cans, maybe there will be an adapter to convert the ends to the new design.

And maybe the new stock cables will be far better than the HE-500s cable, and the temptation to get an aftermarket cable will disappear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back