Hifiman HE-400i and HE-560: From CES to Pre-Launch
Jan 28, 2014 at 12:12 PM Post #1,201 of 3,091
It wasn't the connector but the cable itself that often failed, especially on the he400 cable. The jacket would often tear or split open even with careful use. Now, take the he-4 cable...that was a fine cable. 

Jan 28, 2014 at 12:18 PM Post #1,202 of 3,091
I don't mind the connectors other than they are a B to solder. I guess plug in as opposed to screw in would make swapping cables easier.

I would love for the first HiFiman to have mini xlr to include a SMC to mini xlr adapter :wink:

Jan 28, 2014 at 2:56 PM Post #1,204 of 3,091
The right side of the cable to my 400 has shorted out because the part of the connector that's before the "screw" has detached itself. I think it may have been more due to my own carelessness than any design flaw, but beyond that I haven't had any issues with the connectors.

Jan 28, 2014 at 3:49 PM Post #1,208 of 3,091
I was thinking of picking up the  HE-400 this week since its down at $300, but since the 400i is coming out so soon im not sure.  Do you guys think it will be worth the $200 more?
Obviously haven't heard the 400i, and am quite far from an expert. But I've owned the 400 for awhile and not only wouldn't recommend it, I wouldn't buy them again for $200. Then again, if you listen to only Electronic music, they may be perfect.

Jan 28, 2014 at 4:43 PM Post #1,212 of 3,091

we are making some small improvements to our connectors to make it easier for ppl to attach and detach. 
wink_face.gif

Forward angled connectors are very nice in my view. More comfortable since it naturally falls down the chest instead of bouncing off the shoulder. But I believe they're a bit more prone to damage as well.

Pretty much. I would want it to stick out less than the Audeze plugs though.

Hifiman could make it work with whatever plug they intend on using by drilling the cups at a more forward location and running the cable inside to the original intended position. This way the drivers and mounting points doesn't need to follow the angle of the new cable entrance.

Let me get that design discount!!
atsmile.gif

Jan 28, 2014 at 4:48 PM Post #1,213 of 3,091
  Even though I havn't had one problem with the connectors of my HE-400 in the 2 years of my having them, I can reason with people who want a mini-xlr style connector like the Audeze headphones.  It wouldn't be a step backwards, let's just say that.

yeap

I didn't mind the connectors my self either, they can be a tad bit fickle but I've dealt with worse 

Jan 28, 2014 at 5:11 PM Post #1,214 of 3,091
  Do you need a replacement cable? If so, email summeryin@hifiman.com 

Normally these would go to customer service but they are off for Chinese New Year at the moment. 

Peter

Hi Peter, do you know when they're going to start back on their emails? I have an RE400 I inquired about yesterday for warranty work. I'm in no rush but just wondering when to expect a reply. Sorry for the derail

Jan 28, 2014 at 6:02 PM Post #1,215 of 3,091

Hi Peter, do you know when they're going to start back on their emails? I have an RE400 I inquired about yesterday for warranty work. I'm in no rush but just wondering when to expect a reply. Sorry for the derail

My best guess would be Monday...  New Years is Thursday-Friday this year... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back