Hifiman HE-400i and HE-560: From CES to Pre-Launch
Jan 29, 2014 at 12:26 PM Post #1,246 of 3,091

^^ Wow!! Cheers to the end of a fine hp.

beerchug.gif

yes. it is no longer being manufactured. It's gone once the remaining stock is sold. 

NO, I don't accept that!
Bring back the HE-4 
mad.gif

Jan 29, 2014 at 1:39 PM Post #1,249 of 3,091
  NO, I don't accept that!
Bring back the HE-4 
mad.gif

lol I believe the HE-4 is already technically discontinued, and they are just selling whatever stock they have left rather than actively manufacturing more. this probably is only good news for current owners as you will be able to resell the headphones close to original price or higher once they are no longer available on the market. hahah

Jan 29, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #1,251 of 3,091
Ugh.. I just know i'm going to get sucked into buying the 560. Better figure out a way to get the money for it..

Jan 29, 2014 at 8:19 PM Post #1,254 of 3,091
Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Jan 30, 2014 at 2:32 AM Post #1,256 of 3,091
  lol I believe the HE-4 is already technically discontinued, and they are just selling whatever stock they have left rather than actively manufacturing more. this probably is only good news for current owners as you will be able to resell the headphones close to original price or higher once they are no longer available on the market. hahah

I think it's the oppisite, I honestly feel the HE 4 should be worth less and IS worth less, the new 400i imo will replace or rather maybe combine the HE 400 and HE 4 sound

I mean seriously the 400i is a newly designed HE 4 in all respects, single sided Magnet. And it's MUCh easier to drive than the HE 4, I think these next few months are NOT a sellers market for the HE 4 but a Buyers Market

YEA you got the "collectors" but even the Denon Serious is losing it's steam. You can get a Modded D7k for around $750, and with the Fostex TH 600 being on par with a D7k Modded [according to many users] I don't think the HE 4 will do any better than the D7ks, in fact I think it will do worse, it's not being discountinued it's being replaced but what will be a better phone, maybe not better in terms of sound [let's assume both are on equal footing] but better in the sense that the HE 400i is lighter and easier to drive, and comfier... assuming they both sound the same [which I'm confident we can expect they will] what reason is there to have the HE 4 which requires a crap ton of power to drive, and lacks the comfort of the 400i? 

Jan 30, 2014 at 3:12 AM Post #1,257 of 3,091
I think it's the oppisite, I honestly feel the HE 4 should be worth less and IS worth less, the new 400i imo will replace or rather maybe combine the HE 400 and HE 4 sound

I mean seriously the 400i is a newly designed HE 4 in all respects, single sided Magnet. And it's MUCh easier to drive than the HE 4, I think these next few months are NOT a sellers market for the HE 4 but a Buyers Market

YEA you got the "collectors" but even the Denon Serious is losing it's steam. You can get a Modded D7k for around $750, and with the Fostex TH 600 being on par with a D7k Modded [according to many users] I don't think the HE 4 will do any better than the D7ks, in fact I think it will do worse, it's not being discountinued it's being replaced but what will be a better phone, maybe not better in terms of sound [let's assume both are on equal footing] but better in the sense that the HE 400i is lighter and easier to drive, and comfier... assuming they both sound the same [which I'm confident we can expect they will] what reason is there to have the HE 4 which requires a crap ton of power to drive, and lacks the comfort of the 400i? 

While I don't think they will sound the same (the 400i according to HFM sounds more like the 500),
I do think they will be pretty good :wink:

Jan 30, 2014 at 3:26 AM Post #1,258 of 3,091
Agreed. If there are headphones sounding just as good, but lighter, more comfortable and designed better; they'll replace whatever precedes them. The old stuff will keep "some" of their value because they still sound good.

HE-500 is $600 right now, which is a great price. Would you pay $300 more for a lighter, more comfortable, better designed headphone with real wood cups and nicer pads, if it sounds just as good if not better?  Even the LCD-3 sells, which is a somewhat better sounding LCD-2 with a different wood and the same uncomfortable design. Never mind the 100g heavier LCD-X... It should come with a bunch of Helium balloons.  

Jan 30, 2014 at 3:36 AM Post #1,259 of 3,091
I've tried both back to back and I can honestly say that the HE4 can be favored over the 500 and vice versa depending on how the listener likes to nit pick their sound. On a quantity level of HP sold I don't think it's a secret that the 500s far outsold the HE4 based on the amount of following. It's only logical to understand the amount of skepticism by some who've never heard the HE4. With that said, if the HE400i being 'more like' the 500 was true then IMO the HE4 will still be a better HP. Hang on, let me put my flame suit on.

Which leads me to a bright spot in all this for most who haven't experienced the HE4 something to look forward to. Single ended orthos can sound as good if not better than their double magnet family..... is there a single ended HE6 in the works??

Jan 30, 2014 at 4:41 AM Post #1,260 of 3,091
HE-5le is semi single sided 
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back