Hifiman HE-400i and HE-560: From CES to Pre-Launch
Jan 29, 2014 at 7:27 AM Post #1,231 of 3,091
  lol it is a quote from this popular comparison guide: http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13#user_HE400

I imagine he means exactly what he says in this quote, but you can PM him if you want more clarification.

The HE-400's tonality is not "fun" in the sense that it is totally un-neutral - It is fun because it has a very specific upper-mid dip that allows the listener to home-in on specific instruments. The HE-400's tonal balance is not the definition of neutral, but it is also not the complete antithesis either. It manages to find a unique equilibrium between "colored" and "neutral."

Further on, he says this... which implies that the FR tuning improves how they sound but prevent them from having a true flat neutral FR curve. It sounds similar how I've heard that Sennheiser tuned the HD650 with a colored sound in order to sound more natural vs the HD600 which was tuned according to the FR curve.

MIDS: The mids here are interesting. The lower-mids are significantly forward while the upper-mids are significantly recessed. However, this is not as problematic as it sounds. The mids are recessed in the region where many odd nasal characteristics typically emanate. Here there is none of that. Of course, the recessed upper midrange will find detractors. It prevents this headphone from being "neutral." But I must counter this by suggesting that this coloration is not offensive to my ears, and I think many people may ultimately be won over by the headphone's ability to render detail without sounding shouty or nasal.

Edit: Basically, I don't think that a U-shaped sound signature is an accurate description of the HE-400 as that implies a boosted bass (false; bass sounds great, but not overly-emphasized), recessed midrange (slightly true - upper mid dip, but I agree with the review. the coloration does not negatively impact the sound signature as the guitars, pianos, and other mid-instruments sound very clear and natural - it does not sound like the mid-instruments are hidden by the rest of the frequency range), and elevated treble (slightly true; there is one treble spike that sometimes cause too much brightness for my tastes on poor recordings). From my listening experience, the mids sound great & the bass is simply amazing. My only suggestion for SQ improvement would further tuning of the treble region. Overall, from my personal experience, the sound quality is excellent and the headphones sound very natural.

Now what the HE 400's lack of upper mids DO is make female voices sound wonky

Jan 29, 2014 at 9:48 AM Post #1,232 of 3,091
  Sounds like I am better off waiting for reviews on the HE-400i and seeing how they compare to the HE-400/HE-500, and if the $500 pricetag is justified.  Thanks for all the input guys!  Also, will the HE-400's drop down to around $300 permanently once the 400i is released?

400 will be replaced by 400i. We are currently running a nice promotion for HE-400. Please check out our website or your local dealer if you are interested. 

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
Jan 29, 2014 at 9:54 AM Post #1,233 of 3,091

Please don't get me wrong, I love hifiman hp's. But the connectors need to be replaced not reworked. I realize from a production standpoint that switching connectors completely would be tough. But the current connectors are truthfully just awful and calling them universally disliked in not unfair. The connectors are the Achilles heel to these fine hp's IMO. 

I hear you, and believe me that it's on the top of our list. Unfortunately as you said that a switch like this is not easy and we want to make sure that we do it right this time. Too bad we were not able to do this on 400i and 560, but at least we were able to reduce the weight of the headphone by a significant amount while improving the sound quality further. Plus the new headband and ear pads are  much more comfortable than the previous design. I think that you will like the new design very much.

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Jan 29, 2014 at 9:57 AM Post #1,234 of 3,091

Hifiman could make it work with whatever plug they intend on using by drilling the cups at a more forward location and running the cable inside to the original intended position. This way the drivers and mounting points doesn't need to follow the angle of the new cable entrance.

That's exactly what we did with 400i and 560. :)

Jan 29, 2014 at 9:57 AM Post #1,235 of 3,091

I hear you, and believe me that it's on the top of our list. Unfortunately as you said that a switch like this is not easy and we want to make sure that we do it right this time. Too bad we were not able to do this on 400i and 560, but at least we were able to reduce the weight of the headphone by a significant amount while improving the sound quality further. Plus the new headband and ear pads are  much more comfortable than the previous design. I think that you will like the new design very much.

This is what matters the most after all.
As long as the connectors don't cause any issues, the weight, headband, sound and pads improvements are easily worth it :]
Looking forward to new connectors later, then :]
Great job still!
I'll be among the first to buy the 400i or 560.
Very impressive for a second generation of headphones release.
It is great that you listen to us 
beerchug.gif

Jan 29, 2014 at 10:12 AM Post #1,237 of 3,091

400 will be replaced by 400i. We are currently running a nice promotion for HE-400. Please check out our website or your local dealer if you are interested. 

So the HE-400 will be discontinued? That's pretty big news.

Jan 29, 2014 at 10:13 AM Post #1,238 of 3,091
  so the HE-400 will be replaced, but what about the HE-4?  Is it to be discontinued as well?

It seems that way, the 400i is the new Single manget ortho 

Jan 29, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #1,240 of 3,091
Thanks for the response from hifiman. It's always appreciated to have active involvement from manufacturer  with the community. It also appears that hifiman is actively listening to the community when making design choices. This is also refreshing and very much appreciated. 

I'm looking forward to the upcoming hp's and would even be interested in a pre-order. Can you say whether or not a pre-order process will be available? 

Jan 29, 2014 at 10:42 AM Post #1,241 of 3,091
No headphones are discontinued yet. I doubt they'll discontinue the he-400 right away, but sure if the sales drop enough.. They'll stop selling it.
The he-4 oth, I think it might be definitively discontinued.

Jan 29, 2014 at 11:09 AM Post #1,242 of 3,091
  Thanks for the response from hifiman. It's always appreciated to have active involvement from manufacturer  with the community. It also appears that hifiman is actively listening to the community when making design choices. This is also refreshing and very much appreciated. 

I'm looking forward to the upcoming hp's and would even be interested in a pre-order. Can you say whether or not a pre-order process will be available? 

I'd double on the pre-order or earlier shipping at least, I'd write a review too, obviously.
I am buying them when they're out but I am really excited for them.

Jan 29, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #1,244 of 3,091

We might do a pre-order when it is VERY close to shipping. I do not like the idea of taking many orders and keep pushing back the delivery date. that's just not the right thing to do. That being said we are still shooting for a March/April shipping plan. Stay tuned. 

400i's driver is being tweaked to be more efficient and better sounding. Ppl who have heard 400i at CES show will be surprised in a better way.

560's driver is pretty much all done. We are making cosmetic improvements to the wooden cup as well as the headband to make it look more...well...luxurious. No worry. we are not going to increase the price. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back