HM-901
Nov 8, 2013 at 7:48 AM Post #2,491 of 3,522
Nov 12, 2013 at 8:41 AM Post #2,495 of 3,522
I think some of the answer depends on if you get balanced plugs / cables for your headphones or not. If you don't plan getting the phones balanced, the it's only a matter of sound signature, I think.

I am very pleased with the balanced amp - even when used unbalanced. I haven't heard the Minibox amp.

Nov 15, 2013 at 9:31 PM Post #2,496 of 3,522
After a whole week of listening, I feel that the highs on the discrete amp board is kinda out of control, don't know if it's my card only, will give more listening to it. I actually went out and bought a balanced card, and currently comparing the two. I don't think I really like the discrete board right now, maybe I'll have a different opinion later. My ears are kinda tired now, with all the switching around and listening to some other new gears. 

Any chance you got an earlier version of the discrete amp board? I recall in on of the earlier threads on erji there were mention of excess treble in the tuning... And could also be synergy with iem/headphone.

Nov 15, 2013 at 10:25 PM Post #2,497 of 3,522
  May I know which is a better Amp card for HM-901 for headphones like AKG702 or DT990:

1) MiniBox Amp card

or

2) Balance Amp card

I don't think there is any amp module that can challenge the balanced amp card yet. But as LarsHP said, you really need to get your headphone balanced before you can benefit the most out of the balanced card. An alternative will be the new classic card, which I have on the HM801 and known to be really good sounding as well.

Nov 15, 2013 at 10:48 PM Post #2,498 of 3,522
Well I have to praise hifiman for their customer service. I send my 901 for repair last Monday and they are delivering to me again this coming Monday, they called me first to arrange it. They would have even delivered this weekend if it was not my work address. Very goof communication through and through. Of course everything goes faster since I am in China.

Nov 16, 2013 at 3:08 AM Post #2,499 of 3,522
This is totally random and may have already been mentioned, but I was searching for help w/tags for FLAC and OGG not being recognized. I have a 601. Anyway just incase this benefits someone, when I was using dbPoweramp &/or MP3tag it would not respect the tags but oddly enough on my Mac, Tag, & MAX both (ripping or tagging as it applies) for some reason tag flawlessly. 

I know these are two different DAP's with different firmware etc. (albeit from the same MFG) but after an exhaustive night of trial and error I just wanted to post it so maybe someone could get use out of it.

Nov 16, 2013 at 4:03 AM Post #2,500 of 3,522
I've been listening to the Minibox amp card for the past few days. Compared to the balanced amp card (w/ singled end phones), the Minibox doesn't have the same lushness but instead has a more V-shaped signature. It's powerful enough for the HE400 at high gain, but for hard-to-drive phones, the balanced amp is probably a better choice. On the other hand, the Minibox uses less power, i.e. your battery lasts longer (maybe 50% more) and your 901 gets less warm.

Nov 16, 2013 at 4:09 AM Post #2,501 of 3,522
What is the best amp for easy to drive portables like DT1350? 
Is there a "flat" amp?

Nov 16, 2013 at 12:36 PM Post #2,502 of 3,522
I've been listening to the Minibox amp card for the past few days. Compared to the balanced amp card (w/ singled end phones), the Minibox doesn't have the same lushness but instead has a more V-shaped signature. It's powerful enough for the HE400 at high gain, but for hard-to-drive phones, the balanced amp is probably a better choice. On the other hand, the Minibox uses less power, i.e. your battery lasts longer (maybe 50% more) and your 901 gets less warm.
So what is your preference?

Nov 17, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #2,505 of 3,522

I don't think there is any amp module that can challenge the balanced amp card yet. But as LarsHP said, you really need to get your headphone balanced before you can benefit the most out of the balanced card. An alternative will be the new classic card, which I have on the HM801 and known to be really good sounding as well.

What's the "new classic card"?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back