How are the New (Judes approved, apparently) V MODA V80s??
Jul 23, 2011 at 8:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 64

sulkoudai

500+ Head-Fier
V moda was really popular (even with some Head-Fiers) with the original Vibes (the first one, not the revised one, the revised one sounds crap compared to the first), but the Vibes 2 and the Crossfades was apparently really disappointing according to some Head-Fiers

I went on their site and I saw 2 new headphones, the Revamp and the V80s. The thing that caught my eyes were the quote by Jude (yes, this sites founder) saying: "V-80 is much more balanced, more articulate, more revealing, and I have a feeling it will find much love with a lot of the audiophile-type Head-Fi'ers.". 

And, i was wondering, has anyones tried them?? 

btw, if you have tried the Revamps please tell me how they are as well....

Jul 25, 2011 at 2:09 PM Post #3 of 64
Wow, some re-branded crossfades based on a crappy vampire TV series. I don't wanna say Jude has sold out, until I've heard them, but they look like crossfades to me and I don't see how they would be different.

Jul 25, 2011 at 3:39 PM Post #4 of 64

Quote:
Wow, some re-branded crossfades based on a crappy vampire TV series. I don't wanna say Jude has sold out, until I've heard them, but they look like crossfades to me and I don't see how they would be different.

I have Crossfades here, and the M-80 (and so the V-80) is much smaller physically, and sounds nothing like the Crossfade LP.  The Crossfade LP was voiced to be a DJ headphone, and, to my ears, it does that--bass-heavy (bloated), not very articulate.

The M-80 is completely different.  It was voiced for audiophile-types, and it's actually very good, to my ears.  It does have some bump-up in the bass, but, as I hear it, it seems like the emphasis is placed low enough (30Hz to 50Hz) to keep from affecting the mids.  I also expected (based on its appearance) a junior Crossfade LP, but, again, they sound absolutely nothing alike.

I think V-MODA has finally made a headphone that'll find a lot of love 'round these parts (the M-80).

I'll say more about it soon, but first impressions are so far very positive with me.

Jul 26, 2011 at 2:58 AM Post #6 of 64

Quote:

I have Crossfades here, and the M-80 (and so the V-80) is much smaller physically, and sounds nothing like the Crossfade LP.  The Crossfade LP was voiced to be a DJ headphone, and, to my ears, it does that--bass-heavy (bloated), not very articulate.

The M-80 is completely different.  It was voiced for audiophile-types, and it's actually very good, to my ears.  It does have some bump-up in the bass, but, as I hear it, it seems like the emphasis is placed low enough (30Hz to 50Hz) to keep from affecting the mids.  I also expected (based on its appearance) a junior Crossfade LP, but, again, they sound absolutely nothing alike.

I think V-MODA has finally made a headphone that'll find a lot of love 'round these parts (the M-80).

I'll say more about it soon, but first impressions are so far very positive with me.

Ah, I guess they are smaller (the V-80s). We'll have to see what kind of reputation they get, maybe it'll be another "Monster Turbine". I just wish they made a more basic design for people who don't watch "True Blood".

Jul 26, 2011 at 3:03 AM Post #7 of 64

Quote:
Ah, I guess they are smaller (the V-80s). We'll have to see what kind of reputation they get, maybe it'll be another "Monster Turbine". I just wish they made a more basic design for people who don't watch "True Blood".

Wait a minute. So, the V-80s are the "True Blood" additions and the M-80s are not? Also, the M-80s are NOT the Crossfade LPs?
blink.gif

Jul 26, 2011 at 6:29 PM Post #8 of 64
Quote:

What's the matter with the Monster Turbine?  I have both Turbine Pro models, and like them (but I prefer the Copper to the Gold).

As for these new V-MODA on-ear models:  There is the V-80, which is the True Blood version--the M-80 is the same headphone, only without the True Blood branding and marks.  Other differences include red inside the headband for the V-80, and black for the M-80; and the V-80 comes with one plain cable and one single-button mic cable, while the M-80 comes with one single-button mic cable and one three-button mic cable.

Quote:
Wait a minute. So, the V-80s are the "True Blood" additions and the M-80s are not? Also, the M-80s are NOT the Crossfade LPs?
blink.gif

Again, the V-80 and M-80 are the same headphone (the V-80 being the True Blood edition), and they're definitely not the Crossfade LP.  Again, the Crossfade LP is substantially larger (and around-the-ear), and the V-80/M-80 is supra-aural (on-ear).  And, again, the V-80/M-80 sounds nothing like the Crossfade LP.

Mark my word:  The V-80/M-80 will be a popular headphone with Head-Fi'ers (although I think the non-True-Blood-branded M-80 will be the one most Head-Fi'ers go for).  Again, to my ears, it's a very good portable over-ear headphone, and I feel very confident there'll be a lot of agreement here on this (once more have heard it).

Given the previous V-MODA products I've used (including the Crossfade LP), I was caught off-guard with how hard they strived for audiophile-quality sound with this one.  Val Kolton (V-MODA's founder) was very forthcoming with me in its development process, sharing a lot of data and measurements; and, before I actually heard it, I was surprised to see the headphones they were considering this new model's competitors (and that showed up in comparative measurements/data he shared with me)--at least a couple of this community's favorite closed headphones came up regularly.

Again, I'll say more about this headphone later, but I think it sounds great, and the bonus is it's very nice looking on and off the head (if that matters to you).

Jul 27, 2011 at 7:16 PM Post #10 of 64

Quote:
Please don't tell me V MODA is gonna stop making bass heavy headphones.... (the Crossfades werent that good but still.... they could improved the Crossfades)

V-MODA still makes the Crossfade LP, and that's definitely a bass-heavy headphone.  The M-80/V-80 has some bass emphasis, however milder, and mostly (to my ears) in the lower bass range--significantly more resolving/refined than the Crossfade LP I have here, and with minimal (if any) effect on the mids.  So, in a much more audiophile-friendly way than the Crossfade LP, the M-80/V-80 has some bass emphasis.

Jul 28, 2011 at 2:44 AM Post #12 of 64
What I meant by the turbine reference is that they too were a fine headphone to come from an unpopular brand. I used to own some coppers myself. And thanks for clearing up the models for me. How do you think these compare to the HD-25 1s?

Quote:
What's the matter with the Monster Turbine?  I have both Turbine Pro models, and like them (but I prefer the Copper to the Gold).

As for these new V-MODA on-ear models:  There is the V-80, which is the True Blood version--the M-80 is the same headphone, only without the True Blood branding and marks.  Other differences include red inside the headband for the V-80, and black for the M-80; and the V-80 comes with one plain cable and one single-button mic cable, while the M-80 comes with one single-button mic cable and one three-button mic cable.

Again, the V-80 and M-80 are the same headphone (the V-80 being the True Blood edition), and they're definitely not the Crossfade LP.  Again, the Crossfade LP is substantially larger (and around-the-ear), and the V-80/M-80 is supra-aural (on-ear).  And, again, the V-80/M-80 sounds nothing like the Crossfade LP.

Mark my word:  The V-80/M-80 will be a popular headphone with Head-Fi'ers (although I think the non-True-Blood-branded M-80 will be the one most Head-Fi'ers go for).  Again, to my ears, it's a very good portable over-ear headphone, and I feel very confident there'll be a lot of agreement here on this (once more have heard it).

Given the previous V-MODA products I've used (including the Crossfade LP), I was caught off-guard with how hard they strived for audiophile-quality sound with this one.  Val Kolton (V-MODA's founder) was very forthcoming with me in its development process, sharing a lot of data and measurements; and, before I actually heard it, I was surprised to see the headphones they were considering this new model's competitors (and that showed up in comparative measurements/data he shared with me)--at least a couple of this community's favorite closed headphones came up regularly.

Again, I'll say more about this headphone later, but I think it sounds great, and the bonus is it's very nice looking on and off the head (if that matters to you).

Jul 29, 2011 at 5:54 AM Post #13 of 64
yeah, a comparison between this and HD25 would be good....but the M80s and V80s are 230 USD, but the HD25 ii can be found from eBay for about 150 AUD (if not fake, it said its got full manufacturer warranty) 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back