iFi audio iDSD Signature - The saga continues!
Oct 21, 2023 at 5:51 PM Post #2,101 of 2,172
On a side note, I came across the notes regarding the difference of the Finale edition.

Figure I'll post it here if anyone's interested:

It's great to see the Finale getting out there!

In the UK office we're dying to get hold of one of these! They're an Adorama exclusive, so I'm not sure if there are any in the UK at all!

I terms of what makes the Finale different from the previous, micro iDSD Signature model:
- 16-Core XMOS technology for flawless MQA decoding.
- Enhanced volume knob for precise control, minimizing imbalances (this is an improvement based on feedback of the previous version)
- Upgraded ELNA Audio capacitor for superior performance.

Hope you enjoy it!

Phil

Since I don't care about MQA, so I'll say the biggest difference that would be relevant to me is probably the updated volume knob. Which should have less volume imbalance issues on sensitive headphones/iems. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2023 at 1:36 AM Post #2,102 of 2,172
On a side note, I came across the notes regarding the difference of the Finale edition.

In the UK office we're dying to get hold of one of these! They're an Adorama exclusive, so I'm not sure if there are any in the UK at all!

I terms of what makes the Finale different from the previous, micro iDSD Signature model:
- Enhanced volume knob for precise control, minimizing imbalances (this is an improvement based on feedback of the previous version)

Hope you enjoy it!

Phil

Since I don't care about MQA, so I'll say the biggest difference that would be relevant to me is probably the updated volume knob. Which should have less volume imbalance issues on sensitive headphones/iems. :thumbsup:
@Hyde00 plase take note that volume knob issue applies not just to sensitive IEMs but to many different headphone models when using not only eco but also normal and turbo modes. IMHO this should never make into production and my Signature has the worst volume imbalance out of all ifi micros I have. Overall you are right that Finale has only one real difference: proper quality check for volume knob.

Oct 22, 2023 at 6:21 AM Post #2,103 of 2,172

In practice this means that a reliable and well debugged XU100 system with 8 Cores and stable software was replaced by new Chip with less stable and mature software and you can get MQA decoding on board for USB only (not SPDIF).

This means nothing to sound quality, the renderer part in the old system and the decoding done by source will produce the precise result of running decoder and renderer on board, except the increased processing on board will increase power draw and possibly noise on PSU lines.

Well, this has been discussed again and again. This should have stayed fixed since it was fixed with the second or third production batch of the silver iDSD.

That is actually funny. Why? Because the capacitors used in the Finale and Signature/Black label are Panasonic Os-Con, not Elna Silmic II which you find in the desktop products (and which are now discontinued by Elna).

You can see that on this picture taken from here:

https://ifi-audio.com/the-finale-feast/

micro-iDSD-Sig_pcb_Ver1.0_ok-1024x724.jpg

Incidentally, last time I looked all SMD ceramic capacitors were sourced from Samsung, not TDK & Murata, which is cheaper but should offer the same quality. And the picture shows "8-Core XMOS" when it is supposed to have a 16 Code. Is nobody proof reading marketing material anymore?

So essentially the "Finale" is using the 16-Core XU200 xmos because the previously used XU100 8 Core is discontinued and the volume control imbalance issue that should not exist anyway MAY be fixed.

And the marketing material for it is obviously put together by copy/paste from wherever and seems at least in some areas unrelated to the actual device.

So what you are getting is an iDSD micro Black Label, minus the 3.5mm front panel input (which arguably had reliability issues caused by poor quality 3.5mm sockets) that unlike the Diablo has not been replaced by a "sneaky" line input via the line outs (though that would have been an easy change), with the 3.5mm Jack replaced by 4.4mm (but wired SE) and iEMatch relocated to the side (longer traces) and replacing the polarity switch.

I'd buy a second hand well kept Black Label instead.

Thor

Oct 22, 2023 at 1:33 PM Post #2,105 of 2,172
Plus, the toggle switches and volume pot on the BL just felt better. And the black with orange just looked awesome.

Yes, I'm keeping my own unit.

Thor

Oct 22, 2023 at 9:36 PM Post #2,106 of 2,172
Plus, the toggle switches and volume pot on the BL just felt better. And the black with orange just looked awesome.
Taste is definitely subjective. 😅 I found the BL colors to look clownishly Halloweenie, and the Signature and Finale Edition look less cartoonish to me. 🙃

Oct 23, 2023 at 3:49 AM Post #2,109 of 2,172
Taste is definitely subjective. 😅 I found the BL colors to look clownishly Halloweenie, and the Signature and Finale Edition look less cartoonish to me. 🙃

Actually, I really liked the black on black and thought it was classy, I was a little less sure on the orange. But it's not THAT MUCH orange:

1698047337430.png

Thor

Oct 23, 2023 at 2:35 PM Post #2,110 of 2,172

Hope you enjoy it!

Phil

Thanks very helpful! Had one in cart but started wondering what the diff. was from original.

Dec 2, 2023 at 6:14 PM Post #2,111 of 2,172
I have a question about hooking up the ifi audio micro idsd signature using rca to 3.5 cable through the headphone port.
I use a astell&kern dap piggy backed to a ifi signature & can either use the rca to 3.5 cable into the dap to feed the dac/amp or the ifi signatures headphone port.
My question is would the signatures port be better sound wise or the daps.
I know I could use the rca out connection on the back of signature if I want to use it as a dac but I don't want to do this.
The dap/amps i am using are woo audio wa7 fireflies 3rd gen, topping a90 descrete & hifiman ef600.
Thanks for any replies much appreciated.

Dec 10, 2023 at 4:00 AM Post #2,113 of 2,172
Hello everyone

I have owned the iDSD micro Signature for almost two years now and have used it as a mobile DAC/amp to my utmost satisfaction.

For a good week now I have had an Aune S17pro amplifier with which I feed the Ifi device into the Aune as a DAC via RCA. This works great so far and the expected upgrade in SQ is clearly audible. Unfortunately, this only works for me in battery-only mode.
As soon as I connect the USB-C charging cable, no more sound comes out of the device - neither from the ifi Amp nor from the Aune via RCA. In my opinion, however, this should work...

Does anyone have an idea or the same problem?

Dec 10, 2023 at 8:31 AM Post #2,114 of 2,172
Hello everyone

I have owned the iDSD micro Signature for almost two years now and have used it as a mobile DAC/amp to my utmost satisfaction.

For a good week now I have had an Aune S17pro amplifier with which I feed the Ifi device into the Aune as a DAC via RCA. This works great so far and the expected upgrade in SQ is clearly audible. Unfortunately, this only works for me in battery-only mode.
As soon as I connect the USB-C charging cable, no more sound comes out of the device - neither from the ifi Amp nor from the Aune via RCA. In my opinion, however, this should work...

Does anyone have an idea or the same problem?
I'm not 100% sure but, did you try to plug in charging cable BEFORE you turn on the device?

Some iFi device sets the mode at power on, i.e. if you power on with no charging cable it uses battery, if you power on with charging cable already in then it draw from cable.

Not too sure if it is the case here.

Also you're referring to the charging port on the side of the unit right?

Dec 10, 2023 at 8:38 AM Post #2,115 of 2,172
I'm not 100% sure but, did you try to plug in charging cable BEFORE you turn on the device?

Some iFi device sets the mode at power on, i.e. if you power on with no charging cable it uses battery, if you power on with charging cable already in then it draw from cable.

Not too sure if it is the case here.

Also you're referring to the charging port on the side of the unit right?
Hi, thank you for your reply!
Yes, I tried every combination, and also yes, the USB-C Port at the side is the/my charging port.
Sometimes, music starts for 2-4 seconds and then stops. I then have to turn off and on again (without charging cable connected) and everything is good again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back