iFi audio iDSD Signature - The saga continues!
Dec 10, 2023 at 8:57 AM Post #2,116 of 2,172
Hi, thank you for your reply!
Yes, I tried every combination, and also yes, the USB-C Port at the side is the/my charging port.
Sometimes, music starts for 2-4 seconds and then stops. I then have to turn off and on again (without charging cable connected) and everything is good again.
lol ah then I'm not sure, that sure sounds bizarre...... which charger are you using?

Dec 28, 2023 at 5:37 PM Post #2,122 of 2,172
Jan 14, 2024 at 4:41 PM Post #2,125 of 2,172
Hi,

I’m new to the audiophile community. I just placed an order for the iFi IDSD Signature Finale DAC from Adorama. I figured for the substantial price discount at $299, it should be sufficient for very much anything I throw at it.

Is this a decent DAC to last me a good while? I only have AKG N5005, Senn HD598, and an older Audio Tech ATH-M50. Still searching for a decent headphone. Thank you.

Jan 14, 2024 at 5:04 PM Post #2,126 of 2,172
Hi,

I’m new to the audiophile community. I just placed an order for the iFi IDSD Signature Finale DAC from Adorama. I figured for the substantial price discount at $299, it should be sufficient for very much anything I throw at it.

Is this a decent DAC to last me a good while? I only have AKG N5005, Senn HD598, and an older Audio Tech ATH-M50. Still searching for a decent headphone. Thank you.
I've only tried the older silver iDSD and even so I thought it was quite good.

I'd imagine this would be better. So I think you'll be good for a long while.

Only thing is I don't know how long the battery life is. Hopefully you'll be able to use it for a few years before having to replace the battery.

Jan 14, 2024 at 7:23 PM Post #2,127 of 2,172
Hi,

Congratulations! And welcome to the audiophile community!

The iFi iDSD Finale is a great DAC to start. I recently got one from Adorama as well. It's one of the better portable DAC/amps out there. The sound is excellent. It's very versatile; I don't think you'll have problems driving any of the headphones you mentioned. The XBass and 3D+ is also quite nice to "tune" the sound a bit.

Yes, it will last you for a while. But... this is one of those hobbies where you'll likely to get upgraditis soon :-D
As someone mentioned, the only concern would be the life of the battery (as all rechargeable batteries degrade over time, depending on charge cycles). So that will depend on how much you use it. Also, don't leave it plugged in 24/7 (the usual rechargeable battery stuffs apply).

Jan 15, 2024 at 4:00 AM Post #2,128 of 2,172
Also, don't leave it plugged in 24/7 (the usual rechargeable battery stuffs apply).

I would advise the precise opposite. If used on the desktop, keep external power on. In this case the battery will be allowed to self discharge to 4.05V (~70% Charge) and will be maintained at this charge state. This is effect the same as "shelf storage" of the battery.

The process is automated, whenever you disconnect external power, all iDSD micro (including BL, Signature & Finale) will recharge the battery to 100% once external power is available (cycle mode).

As long as external power is attached when the unit is turned off, it will latch into the the lower charge voltage and will keep it latched through multiple turn off/on cycles, until external power (charger) is disconnected (desktop mode).

In other words, as long as you use the unit as you would like to for most convenience, it will adapt itself to your usage style (mainly portable or mainly desktop) and maximise battery life for desktop only/mainly use. Thus your extra effort of disconnecting external power actually degrades battery life over just leaving everything plugged in.

Thor

Jan 15, 2024 at 4:15 AM Post #2,129 of 2,172
Hi,

Well, at $299 I'd suggest it's quite a bargain these days.

Is this a decent DAC to last me a good while?

When the original iDSD micro was designed (this still retains > 95% of the original design) in 2013, it was meant to be the the team could manage. It is still an excellent unit a decade later. But some of the limitation s of both technology and the available skills in the team, mean it is a bit behind the times in a range of ways.

Like gain settings (including iEMatch) and volume control need to be manually matched to your Headphone to get a reasonable adjustment range, instead of just turning the volume control to the volume you need, which you find on some later iFi products.

I only have AKG N5005, Senn HD598, and an older Audio Tech ATH-M50. Still searching for a decent headphone.

I have an iDSD micro Black Label in my personal use, which is basically the same unit.

I use it to drive a wide range of headphones and iEM's and have used it with headphones including Final D8000, Sennheiser HD600, HD800, Audeze LCD2, Abyss Diana, AKG K701, AKG K1000, Campfire Audio Andromeda to name some. I even used it to drive classic Stax & Micro Seiki Electrostatic headphones, using the classic Transformer setup boxes with a suitable cable. I rarely felt that the iDSD micro BL was the weak link in the setup.

I generally use it with iUSB 3.0 micro though and with good quality USB Cables.

It is important to learn the correct use of the "PowerMode" (this does more than just switching gain) and "iEMatch" switches. As a rule, aim for good listening levels with the volume control set to around mid travel (12 O'Clock). This gives the widest range of adjustment for volume. Set power mode to the lowest setting that will allow this. If you are already in "eco" and you cannot raise the volume to ~ 12 OO'Clock without it getting very loud, enage iEMatch on of the two settings available until you get a sensible volume control range.

Thor

Jan 15, 2024 at 4:29 PM Post #2,130 of 2,172
Hi,

How did you get that discount? On the Adorama web site I see it listed at $749.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back