Introducing HIFIMAN Ananda Nano
Mar 8, 2024 at 4:33 PM Post #646 of 728
@Enther and anyone who might be interested.

I'm willing to do a proper comparison in the upcoming days, but I'm happy to share some initial impressions of The Aryas Stealth vs The Ananda Nano vs The Edition XS. I'm using the same balanced cable for all three, and I'm compensating for any volume differences with APO EQ to make the test as fair as possible. The Nanos are by far the loudest (easiest to drive), followed by the Arya, with the Edition XS being slightly more demanding.

My current source setup is the Aune S17 Pro feeding the Hifiman EF400 in DAC mode. Later, I'll test them with the Earmen ST-AMP and the EF400 solo.

First of all, this is how they measure, they're very much alike in their tuning. But does it mean they sound the same? Hell no!

1709921223110.png

The Edition XS is the warmest of the bunch, a little muddy in the mids compared to the other two. The Nanos are razor sharp, sterile and the brightest. The Aryas fall in between, as I expected after reading through countless of reviews and opinions. However - and this is interesting - even though the Aryas are more transparent and resolving than the Edition XS, they're actually less fatiguing. Example:

I suggest to play it lossless on Tidal or so.

This track from 2:30 - when I ramp up the volume to the levels I don't normally listen with, the Aryas sound cleaner and more transparent than the Edition XS, but at the same time easier on my ears. I have to turn down the volume because it's too loud, not because it's piercing or harsh. This is quite impressive and means that the Aryas are technically superior.

The Nano as mentioned are the brightest. It really works in some music, i.e. acoustic rock. But they also can be too sterile and shouty in certain tracks, on the verge of being unpleasant. I've been testing them for a week now, and there have been evenings when i was tired I found myself grabbing the Edition XS instead, even though the Nanos outperform them. And this is with the Aune S17 Pro, which is rather warm and creates a great synergy with the Nanos or neutral-bright headphones in general. It's not that Nano are particularly spiky in higher frequencies, in fact all 3 require EQ in the ~10k hz range. It's more about the overall presentation. The Nanos are much less forgiving for shoutier, more aggressive or badly recorded music.

The bass. The graph above doesn't confirm it, but the Aryas Stealth has the least of it. Both the Edition XS and the Nanos are more bassy, which is much more to my liking, though I'm not a basshead. Especially the Nanos are great with in the lows. But the Aryas, being Hifiman planars with great technicalities, respond to EQ like a boss. I fine tuned them to my liking, they can produce absolutely spectacular low frequencies.

Soundstage - I thought that the Edition XS was hard to beat for a mid-fi. Well, I was wrong :) The Nanos are similar in the width but better in depth. The Aryas are significant wider than both and more "3d" in depth. But it's not like they present everything from afar. If the recording is supposed to be close and intimate, they will deliver it easily.

My Aryas Stealth just arrived. I'm comparing them to the Ananda Nano and Edition XS. Will add my 2 cents, but I already know the winner :wink:
The winner is the Arya Stealth to me. They are the best headphones of the three. Better than the Nano, with better overall timbre, better imaging and with the widest, immersive soundstage. It is a higher level headphone at it shows (sounds). They're also better at technical nuances - dynamics, sound decay, binaural/spatial audio. They are the most musical of them all. Less dark, more transparent than the Edition XS, but even less fatiguing. But unlike the Nanos, more forgiving towards sources and music, less sterile and clinical, but as resolving and transparent. Nearly perfect allrounders, there's no thing they can't do very good at least.

Lastly, they're the most comfortable. Lack of swivel in the Nanos is disturbing me more than I expected, I have this irritating feeling that they don't seal around my ears and jaw at all. The Edition XS don't have this problem, but they create a hot spot on top of my head after a while instead. The Aryas just disappear.

Overall: Arya Stealth <- Ananda Nano <- Edition XS <- Meze 109 Pro (I tested them recently too, borrowed from a friend of mine)

They're for 749$ new from the HFM store. Hard to beat.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2024 at 5:19 PM Post #647 of 728

I'm willing to do a proper comparison in the upcoming days, but I'm happy to share some initial impressions of The Aryas Stealth vs The Ananda Nano vs The Edition XS. I'm using the same balanced cable for all three, and I'm compensating for any volume differences with APO EQ to make the test as fair as possible. The Nanos are by far the loudest (easiest to drive), followed by the Arya, with the Edition XS being slightly more demanding.

My current source setup is the Aune S17 Pro feeding the Hifiman EF400 in DAC mode. Later, I'll test them with the Earmen ST-AMP and the EF400 solo.

First of all, this is how they measure, they're very much alike in their tuning. But does it mean they sound the same? Hell no!

The Edition XS is the warmest of the bunch, a little muddy in the mids compared to the other two. The Nanos are razor sharp, sterile and the brightest. The Aryas fall in between, as I expected after reading through countless of reviews and opinions. However - and this is interesting - even though the Aryas are more transparent and resolving than the Edition XS, they're actually less fatiguing. Example:

This track from 2:30 - when I ramp up the volume to the levels I don't normally listen with, the Aryas sound cleaner and more transparent than the Edition XS, but at the same time easier on my ears. I have to turn down the volume because it's too loud, not because it's piercing or harsh. This is quite impressive and means that the Aryas are technically superior.

The Nano as mentioned are the brightest. It really works in some music, i.e. acoustic rock. But they also can be too sterile and shouty in certain tracks, on the verge of being unpleasant. I've been testing them for a week now, and there have been evenings when i was tired I found myself grabbing the Edition XS instead, even though the Nanos outperform them. And this is with the Aune S17 Pro, which is rather warm and creates a great synergy with the Nanos or neutral-bright headphones in general. It's not that Nano are particularly spiky in higher frequencies, in fact all 3 require EQ in the ~10k hz range. It's more about the overall presentation. The Nanos are much less forgiving for shoutier, more aggressive or badly recorded music.

The bass. The graph above doesn't confirm it, but the Aryas Stealth has the least of it. Both the Edition XS and the Nanos are more bassy, which is much more to my liking, though I'm not a basshead. Especially the Nanos are great with in the lows. But the Aryas, being Hifiman planars with great technicalities, respond to EQ like a boss. I fine tuned them to my liking, they can produce absolutely spectacular low frequencies.

Soundstage - I thought that the Edition XS was hard to beat for a mid-fi. Well, I was wrong :) The Nanos are similar in the width but better in depth. The Aryas are significant wider than both and more "3d" in depth. But it's not like they present everything from afar. If the recording is supposed to be close and intimate, they will deliver it easily.

The winner is the Arya Stealth to me. They are the best headphones of the three. Better than the Nano, with better overall timbre, better imaging and with the widest, immersive soundstage. It is a higher level headphone at it shows (sounds). They're also better at technical nuances - dynamics, sound decay, binaural/spatial audio. They are the most musical of them all. Less dark, more transparent than the Edition XS, but even less fatiguing. But unlike the Nanos, more forgiving towards sources and music, less sterile and clinical, but as resolving and transparent. Nearly perfect allrounders, there's no thing they can't do very good at least.

Lastly, they're the most comfortable. Lack of swivel in the Nanos is disturbing me more than I expected, I have this irritating feeling that they don't seal around my ears and jaw at all. The Edition XS don't have this problem, but they create a hot spot on top of my head after a while instead. The Aryas just disappear.

Overall: Arya Stealth <- Ananda Nano <- Edition XS <- Meze 109 Pro (I tested them recently too, borrowed from a friend of mine)

Sounds good, thanks for the comparison!

Mar 10, 2024 at 3:42 AM Post #649 of 728
Nanos are $499 new now. It's for Hifiman's "spring sale", but any time they drop the price of a headphone it's almost always permanent.
That’s just amazing value for money! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Mar 10, 2024 at 6:48 AM Post #650 of 728
Hello guys!

At this moment I'm using this EQ preset for my Nanos:

6.jpg

I think it sounds so well with music but I feel it needs better 3D positioning while playing shooters for example, when I play CS2 with my K5 ESS Pro + HD560s I get very good imaging and positioning but not when I play with my K7 + Nano Ananda. Any idea?

Mar 11, 2024 at 8:31 AM Post #651 of 728

1709921223110.png

Mar 11, 2024 at 8:38 AM Post #652 of 728
I was at CanJam NYC yesterday and got to hear many different headphones. I was surprised that I disliked the Arya Organic as having a noticeably narrower and compressed sound stage. The Nanos are much better. The HE1000SE were the real star of the show and were easily the best sounding headphone that I heard. Including Meze109Pro and Audeze M500. I somehow forgot to try any of the highend Sennheisers.

Mar 11, 2024 at 8:48 AM Post #653 of 728
I was at CanJam NYC yesterday and got to hear many different headphones. I was surprised that I disliked the Arya Organic as having a noticeably narrower and compressed sound stage. The Nanos are much better. The HE1000SE were the real star of the show and were easily the best sounding headphone that I heard. Including Meze109Pro and Audeze M500. I somehow forgot to try any of the highend Sennheisers.
How would you describe the HEKse in comparison to the nanos ?

What are some of the obvious main criterias that make the HEKse a better headphone in your opinion?

Mar 11, 2024 at 1:56 PM Post #654 of 728
How would you describe the HEKse in comparison to the nanos ?

What are some of the obvious main criterias that make the HEKse a better headphone in your opinion?
The transparency Of the HE1000SE is similar to the already excellent Ananda Nano. But the SE is much wider, taller, and deeper with better delineation and space between the instruments placed on a blacker soundstage. I asked them what could be different now that the Nano uses "nanometer" thickness diaphragms and why does it cost so much more and of course got the expected answers. "The diaphragms. conductor traces, and magnet structures of the HE1000SE are higher quality". What ever the reason, they do sound fantastic and were among the best at the show. Including tube powered electrostatic systems.

The Arya Organics went on an off my head twice in a minute, back and forth with my Nanos which hung around my neck with the cable hanging out of my pocket all day, and got handed right back. I would easily choose the Nanos over the Organics even though the Nanos are a bit bright in the 8kHz. And could have 2 for the price of 1.

The HE1000SE are really pushing my budget of what I should justify but I am sure I will soon rationalize why I deserve to own them based on my hours of use every night when I can't sleep, and my mad scientist evaluating and modifying of the electronics and DIY cables.

S.M.S.L cajoled me into buying their newest flagship DAC and amp so they didn't have to drag them back to China. So I should resign myself to selling one or both of my modified Burson Conductors.

https://www.smsl-audio.com/portal/product/detail/id/745.html

https://www.smsl-audio.com/portal/product/detail/id/846.html

Mar 11, 2024 at 2:07 PM Post #655 of 728
The transparency Of the HE1000SE is similar to the already excellent Ananda Nano. But the SE is much wider, taller, and deeper with better delineation and space between the instruments placed on a blacker soundstage. I asked them what could be different now that the Nano uses "nanometer" thickness diaphragms and why does it cost so much more and of course got the expected answers. "The diaphragms. conductor traces, and magnet structures of the HE1000SE are higher quality". What ever the reason, they do sound fantastic and were among the best at the show. Including tube powered electrostatic systems.

The Arya Organics went on an off my head twice in a minute, back and forth with my Nanos which hung around my neck with the cable hanging out of my pocket all day, and got handed right back. I would easily choose the Nanos over the Organics even though the Nanos are a bit bright in the 8kHz. And could have 2 for the price of 1.

The HE1000SE are really pushing my budget of what I should justify but I am sure I will soon rationalize why I deserve to own them based on my hours of use every night when I can't sleep, and my mad scientist evaluating and modifying of the electronics and DIY cables.

S.M.S.L cajoled me into buying their newest flagship DAC and amp so they didn't have to drag them back to China. So I should resign myself to selling one or both of my modified Burson Conductors.

https://www.smsl-audio.com/portal/product/detail/id/745.html

https://www.smsl-audio.com/portal/product/detail/id/846.html
So if I understood correctly, you are saying that the soundstage of the cans are what really stood out to you, am I correct ?

When you interchanged cans between the HEKse and the Nano, did you ever noticed any sort of “veil” being lifted on what you were listening to ?

Mar 11, 2024 at 3:10 PM Post #656 of 728
So if I understood correctly, you are saying that the soundstage of the cans are what really stood out to you, am I correct ?

When you interchanged cans between the HEKse and the Nano, did you ever noticed any sort of “veil” being lifted on what you were listening to ?
Yes. That too. But keep in mind I had like 5 minutes of back and forth in a very noisy room, with unfamiliar electronics and music files.. I'm sure if (when) I get both headphones home I will pick out even more reasons to justify the 4X price of the SE.. Toward the end of the day I did start to ask to plug there USB into my laptop so I could here the 24/ 192 files that I happen to know best. Interestingly, every DAC I tried this way was immediately recognized as being available via WASAPI exclusive" in my Foobar player program. But Not their ASIO version that I usually use with my Bursons. I did also use my own Headphone cables and
even my own USB cable once I got to the S.M.S.L. table. They had a pair of early He1000 so I got to here them also to which the Nano was pretty close. The SE really is a big step up. IFI was showing the Susvaras but I didn't want to temp myself.

Mar 11, 2024 at 3:44 PM Post #657 of 728
Yes. That too. But keep in mind I had like 5 minutes of back and forth in a very noisy room, with unfamiliar electronics and music files.. I'm sure if (when) I get both headphones home I will pick out even more reasons to justify the 4X price of the SE.. Toward the end of the day I did start to ask to plug there USB into my laptop so I could here the 24/ 192 files that I happen to know best. Interestingly, every DAC I tried this way was immediately recognized as being available via WASAPI exclusive" in my Foobar player program. But Not their ASIO version that I usually use with my Bursons. I did also use my own Headphone cables and
even my own USB cable once I got to the S.M.S.L. table. They had a pair of early He1000 so I got to here them also to which the Nano was pretty close. The SE really is a big step up. IFI was showing the Susvaras but I didn't want to temp myself.
I understand. Yea, it must have been difficult to judge given the lack of time and environment.

I’m just happy to read that the HEKse is definitely a step up even compared to the nanos. That’s what I’m after. The only thing that scares me a bit is the wideness you described. For pure enjoyment, that wouldn’t be an issue for me but that’s not the reason why I’m after new cans. Still, now that I read your review and comparison, I’m even more curious .
Thanks for that !

Mar 11, 2024 at 4:00 PM Post #659 of 728
For me the Arya Stealth is a step up comparing to the Nanos as well. The Nanos are great, but higher tier Hifimans are better as the should be.
Yeah, good point you got there. Dont take what you read on forums for cash. I should know better.

Anyways, I definitely need to listen to the HEKse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back