Introducing MOMENTUM 4 Wireless
Jan 20, 2024 at 3:44 AM Post #661 of 684
I picked up both the M4 and the adapter because of a very generous sale.

The adapter after the software update is very good.

The M4’s sound is arguably at the top of the heap and probably even better than the AP max. I run it with no EQ and it’s v forgiving for almost all genres. Only thing is it would be good to have a more breathable earcup but being closed back I think this is as good as it gets.

Jan 21, 2024 at 3:42 PM Post #662 of 684
Might have to get a replacement and see if it continues to have the problem, maybe an issue with some black/white earlier editions. My first unit I bought in 2022 had it (sounds like a cat purring in low volume) but I thought it wasn’t an issue till I got the new SE this past week and haven’t noticed it at all. I couldn’t hear that Dropbox link but I did on my first unit. Maybe the latest firmware might fix it but highly doubt it.
Nah, unfortunately I've always been up to date. Considering going through warranty

Jan 27, 2024 at 7:37 PM Post #664 of 684
Hey all,

I have the momentum 4, and wondering what the next logical step is (if there is one) for a portable set. Read good things about edifier stax, but they use lamb skin and I am vegan. I have the maxwell, which are great, but not very portable. Xm5 are terrible, px7 are meh. Even the h95 is just meh. Bathys are about the same as maxwell from what I have read, but double the price. Is the momentum 4 top of the game at this point?

Jan 27, 2024 at 9:15 PM Post #665 of 684
Hey all,

I have the momentum 4, and wondering what the next logical step is (if there is one) for a portable set. Read good things about edifier stax, but they use lamb skin and I am vegan. I have the maxwell, which are great, but not very portable. Xm5 are terrible, px7 are meh. Even the h95 is just meh. Bathys are about the same as maxwell from what I have read, but double the price. Is the momentum 4 top of the game at this point?
I'm in the same camp. Tried most of them except the Stax, Bathys and Maxwell. PX8 were comfortable, sounded great to me despite me not liking a mid-bass, loved their midrange though. I've also read bad things here of their headband. The H95 were almost it, the 1st version I tried (serial number 33xxx) was small with a high clamping force tried them again and they fit much better (serial number 36xx). I loved their neutral sound and great sub-bass but their DAC/amp though always shuts off immediately when there is no sound leading to an audible pop/crackle before and after playback, YouTube on the phone or PC was horrible with them. XM4/XM5 lack USB-C audio passthrough so that's a pass. I think the Momentum 4 does everything well for less, it's comfortable, 60-hr battery life, great app features like sound personalization with the best sound for its price range

Feb 15, 2024 at 10:41 AM Post #669 of 684
Anyone seen photos of the newly released graphite color? I’ve tried to search but haven’t had any luck finding any IRL pictures.
Sennheiser website has it in stock but it looks like a metallic black version, Amazon too. They said they'll release a metallic silver color as well.
https://global.sennheiser-hearing.com/products/momentum-4-wireless?variant=44862296326411

On this site, it's listed as graphite and I'm confused to which color variations they used for the new models
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...4aebt-momentum-4-wireless-headphones-graphite

Mar 4, 2024 at 2:13 AM Post #670 of 684
I am considering getting these headphones to replace my momentum 2 which have survived for a good 7-8years.

I've read here and there some concerns about the M4 being unsuitable for the gym, as it's particularly not waterproof, and sweat caused some issues in some units.

I've been using the M2 at the gym regularly (mostly for weights workout and not long runs) and never had an issue. Anyone of you can opine on that ?

Mar 18, 2024 at 6:00 PM Post #671 of 684
I will be travelling very soon and need a headphone for travelling, taking phone calls and office work. Although not a fan of BT ANC headphones, have listened the momentum 4 at bestbuy and compared to other BT ANC headphones for 3 hours today, and a 100 discount, placed the order after. At home, I continue testing the moment 4 on wired mode since I have my laptop, the AK kann alpha DAP and Chord hugo 2. Here is just my sound impressions. Not professional reviewer so bare with me some words.

Under wireless mode, very good sounding headphones. Certainly not as good as bathys. But it is very close. The stock tuning has too much bass. Once crank down from the app, it sounds perfect. Everything is detailed, balanced. The modified tuning from the phone will carry to other BT devices like my Kann alpha, laptop. However, even running aptx hd on my Kann alpha, personally they almost sound identical from my iphone, laptop, kann alpha using BT.

Under wired mode with USB C. The sound even opened up, and more separation. the bass is reduced to acceptable degree. Certainly the internal dac will improve the sound quite well.

Under wired mode with headphones on, it does not meet my expectations. The internal dsp seems don't like powerful and better analog signal feed though the cable. When connect to kann alpha and chord hugo 2 using wired connection, the sound will start to distort and crack above say 70 db.
Edit: this problem fixed after cranked up the volume in the right ear cup. On hugo 2 again, no more distortion found, and it sounds superb. The best sound 300 dollar headphone you can buy. It competes even with focal Celestee.

Under wired mode with headphones off, it sounds the worst. the headphone will get louder when connect to kann alpha and chord hugo 2, but it sounds hollow. It just like play a speaker in the cave.

When connect to wired mode, the better analog signal can't bypass dsp circuirtary limit the momentum 4 sound even better. As an audiophile, I don't expect sound as good as Celestee, but it should sound at least better than wireless or usb c mode.

I won't travel with bathys, but momentum 4, certainly will. So far quite happy with my purchase.

Attachments

• IMG_1877.jpg
    IMG_1877.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 20, 2024 at 10:35 PM Post #672 of 684
Hey all, just got my Momentum 4s (second hand). They sound great after lowering lowering the bass and upping the mids to me, but I've got a few issues with them:
  1. Volume on iPhone jumps up when powered on: whenever my pair autoconnects after being powered on to my iPhone, the volume is set to a very high level. Doesn't happen on any other device I own (Mac, Android). Pretty annoying as I gotta remember to lower the volume before initiating playback or be deafened.
  2. Very high volume steps: I have my pair set to the lowest possible volume (1 step up on iOS, precisely adjusting the slider below that makes it nearly inaudible), but they are still quite loud to my ears. Only way I've found to tame it is to use the analog input but that sorta defeats the point of having the wireless connection, especially when on the go.
  3. Creaking hinges: I'm on my second pair right now (exchanged my original used pair for a new one), and it still has this problem. Doesn't affect me when I'm sitting still, but does get annoying walking around with them on.
  4. BTD-600: I do notice a difference in detail when using these vs. AAC on my iPhone, but they also suffer from the same loud volume issue as mentioned in 2. They also seem to zap my phone's battery, which sucks as the headphones do sound better with them.
I've scoured the Smart Control app for a way to mitigate the volume issues but there doesn't seem to be anything to help :frowning2:

Now unsure whether to sell them off or not. Would love to not have to as they're pretty comfy and I like their sound after some EQing.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2024 at 5:08 AM Post #673 of 684
Does anyone else notice a slight "clicking" or "crackling" noise coming from the headphones when you push the cup slightly towards your head and the pad compresses a bit? This happens to me whenever I am putting them on or adjusting their position on my head. I am afraid whether the driver diaphragm is not getting mangled every time I press on the headphone while adjusting it on my head etc. I would check the diaphragm if it's not dented or anything by the pressure, but the cloth that covers it in the cup is freaking glued on, so I cannot take it off to look.

Mar 28, 2024 at 8:23 AM Post #674 of 684
I'm a happy owner of SM4. Great headphones considering fixes and updates made during last year.

The only complaint I have is that the application doesn't remember setting for disabling touch control. I don't find touch controls useful especially the ones for noise cancellation. I always mess them up accidentally. Therefore I prefer always turn off touch controls and adjust it via app in case if I need. And I'm currently at the point where I'm waiting for the 2y warranty to wear off and I want to disassemble and permanently ditch the touch controls.

@Sennheiser Could you please make setting to disable touch control persistent.

Mar 30, 2024 at 6:14 PM Post #675 of 684
Under wired mode with headphones off, it sounds the worst. the headphone will get louder when connect to kann alpha and chord hugo 2, but it sounds hollow. It just like play a speaker in the cave.

When connect to wired mode, the better analog signal can't bypass dsp circuirtary limit the momentum 4 sound even better. As an audiophile, I don't expect sound as good as Celestee, but it should sound at least better than wireless or usb c mode.
Correct…passive listening is bad at first but any good parametric eq can get them sounding good passively. I do it all the time.

Btw…hi all. New here but long time lurker. M4 user since launch. Love them! Been posting in the Dali thread since I just bought a pair of those. They sound incredible but they’re not $1000 better than the m4 so sending the Dali back. M4 put up a heck of a fight on sound and way better on battery. Couldn’t justify the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back