iPod Classic Firmware 1.1 WARNING
Jan 19, 2008 at 10:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 147

nine

New Head-Fier
[size=large]iPod Classic Firmware 1.1 WARNING[/size]

Hi all

Just updated my iPod classic to the 1.1 firmware, and was experiencing a lot of weird noise in my mini^3 when the power in the iPod was off. Took it down to the workbench and did some investigating.

What I found was ~.5v of DC on the line out whenever the ipod is off. This could be really bad for your headphones if you are connected through a DC coupled amplifier (like my mini^3).

I also plugged it into my scope, and verified the .5v is usually just DC, but that occasionally (maybe 10% of the time) it's got some triangular pulses on it.

I'd suggest people stay away from the 1.1 update

--
nine
null sig (for now)

Jan 19, 2008 at 10:58 PM Post #2 of 147
That doesn't sound healthy... sounds like something you should report to Apple - is that possible?

Jan 20, 2008 at 12:32 AM Post #3 of 147
Ahh the explanation for what so many of us are experiencing - hiss and static noises after the iPod is turned off. Well done Apple - your quality control department must have been fired by now with crap update after crap update slipping through?

Jan 20, 2008 at 12:34 AM Post #4 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by delaril /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That doesn't sound healthy... sounds like something you should report to Apple - is that possible?

I've filed it as a bug through ADC, although it's a little bit different to the type of bug they are used to getting that way. We'll see what happens

nine

Jan 20, 2008 at 1:04 AM Post #5 of 147
So they actually have a bug reporting system! That's good, at least. I haven't used the original firmware in a long time, so I've never had to check. For all you 6G folks' sakes, I hope Apple will release a fix promptly.

Jan 20, 2008 at 2:36 AM Post #6 of 147
My memory may be faulty about this, but isn't there a 1.3 firmware update for the classic? If so, does this have he asme problem?

Jan 20, 2008 at 2:54 AM Post #7 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My memory may be faulty about this, but isn't there a 1.3 firmware update for the classic? If so, does this have he asme problem?

No. 1.1 is the newest. I'm downloading it as we speak

Jan 20, 2008 at 2:58 AM Post #8 of 147
Ah. I was thinking of 1.03. Hope Apple fixes the glitch!

Jan 20, 2008 at 3:17 AM Post #9 of 147
Great. I'm experiencing the noise too. Didn't notice it until updating to 1.1 from 1.0.3. I just sent Apple some feedback.

Does anybody know if this will drain the battery?

Will it damage my amp or my car setup if left connected?

Unimpressed.
frown.gif

Jan 20, 2008 at 6:12 AM Post #11 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by Night Surfer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just be thankful they didn't charge you $20 bux for it, I guess.

LOL.
biggrin.gif

My brother has an ipod touch and he was like whatever, didn't care about the update. Guess it matters to those who need the apps in the first place.

I agree the quality control on ipods seems to be an issue everywhere I read.

Jan 20, 2008 at 2:50 PM Post #13 of 147
Yes, I've noticed it as well and am glad of the explanation. The hiss is not always there ... maybe the thing turns off after time, or perhaps it makes a difference how the iPod is turned off?

Jan 20, 2008 at 2:59 PM Post #14 of 147
I would just exchange it for another just to make sure it's not the device. If you get the same problem with the new one, then it's probably a defect in the series. Maybe a flash model is better or just another brand.

Jan 20, 2008 at 3:20 PM Post #15 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by serpico /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would just exchange it for another just to make sure it's not the device. If you get the same problem with the new one, then it's probably a defect in the series. Maybe a flash model is better or just another brand.

Haven't had the problem until the new firmware update: I didn't make the connection until I saw this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back