iPod Classic Firmware 1.1 WARNING
Jan 20, 2008 at 6:37 PM Post #16 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by serpico /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would just exchange it for another just to make sure it's not the device. If you get the same problem with the new one, then it's probably a defect in the series. Maybe a flash model is better or just another brand.

Its definitely the 1.1 update causing this problem. I haven't experienced such problems prior to the latest update.

Jan 20, 2008 at 7:45 PM Post #17 of 147
I just measured the DC offset on my 80GB iPod Classic. I only found DC offset on one of the two channels, and while it was alarmingly high (ranged between about 30mV-80mV), I didn't measure it as high as 0.5V.

Cheers,
Brad

Jan 20, 2008 at 8:02 PM Post #18 of 147
I've also noticed that there is significant DC offset even while music is playing. I don't think I will be using any of my good headphones with this iPod until they fix this issue with the DC offset!

Jan 20, 2008 at 8:13 PM Post #19 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clutz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've also noticed that there is significant DC offset even while music is playing. I don't think I will be using any of my good headphones with this iPod until they fix this issue with the DC offset!

How dangerous is this for headphones
confused.gif

Jan 20, 2008 at 8:16 PM Post #20 of 147
Im really glad i haven't upgraded the firmware. Ill stay put till they sort it out!

Interestingly there isnt any talk of this over at Mac Rumors. I did mention it in a thread, but nothing.

Is anyone having issues with the LOD? Apparently that might be yet an another issue of the 1.1 upgrade. (I mean worse than the pausing/skipping discussed in the other thread)

Jan 20, 2008 at 8:17 PM Post #21 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by me7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How dangerous is this for headphones
confused.gif

It's quite dangerous. It could cause permanent damage. When building a headphone amp, you generally wouldn't connect your headphones to the headphone amp unless it had less than 10mV of DC offset - and I usually wait until I have less than 1mV if I'm able to get there. 80mV is a lot. 500mV (0.5V) is really a lot.

Jan 20, 2008 at 8:31 PM Post #23 of 147
No, I don't think so. You would either need to have a voltmeter or a scope. Volt meters are pretty cheap though - you can get one at Radioshack for about $10. It wouldn't be a great one, but it would let you measure the voltage output.

Jan 20, 2008 at 9:21 PM Post #24 of 147
I found an easy way to downgrade my iPod classic. First "Open iTunes and in Preferences uncheck automatic check for updates".

If you are a mac user, read here. Windows users need a different folder. Open "Documents and Settings", search the folder that represents your username and open the hidden folder "Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes". Now proceed like the link tells.

Maybe someone with a voltmeter can check if the issue is really not present in the older firmware (maybe it was just undetected?).

Jan 20, 2008 at 9:38 PM Post #25 of 147
I think I will wait for a few days to see if Apple responds to this bug before I take that route. It took me nearly 3 days to transcode & copy all my ALAC files to 256 VBR AACs

Jan 20, 2008 at 10:33 PM Post #27 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by zumaro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ahh the explanation for what so many of us are experiencing - hiss and static noises after the iPod is turned off. Well done Apple - your quality control department must have been fired by now with crap update after crap update slipping through?

I am starting to wonder if Apple out sourced all Ipod QA to India recently....
rolleyes.gif

Jan 21, 2008 at 3:23 AM Post #30 of 147
Wow. Will Apple be replacing all the Shure and UE IEMs that are damaged by this mishap?
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back