iRiver iHP-140 with 128GB SSD
Feb 28, 2013 at 3:16 AM Post #108 of 165
In ebay the price is more or less the same, you can find a compactflash a little bit cheaper, but you have to buy an adaptor. So, finally the price is the same.
However the speed is more or less the same, because this kind of ssd is not as faster than a sata3 ssd.

Feb 28, 2013 at 3:27 AM Post #109 of 165
Quote:
hi guys, a bit of a noob so go easy. would it be better and cheaper to use a compact flash card? and thats assuming i could get a 128 gig cf flash card?

Depending on where you are amazon sell a £99.99 128 cf card, then you need to get the adaptor which will be another £10 or so.

Cheers

Feb 28, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #110 of 165
Hi there

I'm bout to reanimate my iHP-140 gonna replace it's battery can You recommend me any? :) 

I was also thinking about getting this stuff instead of SSD or CF adapters

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SD-SDHC-MMC-Card-to-ZIF-CE-IDE-1-8-Converter-Adapter-/180696340419?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a125757c3

or 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Micro-SD-to-Micro-SATA-Adapter-RAID-card-quad-TF-card-to-1-8-SATA-converter-/111019077898?pt=US_Memory_Card_Readers_Adapters&hash=item19d940b10a

Is there any chance they would work? :)

Mar 1, 2013 at 3:54 AM Post #111 of 165
Quote:
Hi there

I'm bout to reanimate my iHP-140 gonna replace it's battery can You recommend me any? :) 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SD-SDHC-MMC-Card-to-ZIF-CE-IDE-1-8-Converter-Adapter-/180696340419?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a125757c3

or 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Micro-SD-to-Micro-SATA-Adapter-RAID-card-quad-TF-card-to-1-8-SATA-converter-/111019077898?pt=US_Memory_Card_Readers_Adapters&hash=item19d940b10a

I´m not sure, but It seems to me that the first one could work:

However the second one, it´s a SATA conector, and unfortunately, not works.

Mar 1, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #112 of 165
Quote:
Hi there

or 

Hi

I just typed iriver 120 into amazon and got the first one.  So long as it's cameron sino you should be fine.  Be aware that whilst the screw part is easy enough the bit that scared me to death enough to leave it was the taking the front case off.  For some reason the front didn't want to budge.  In the end I left it.  I still get enough charge to last a day at work anyway.

In other news SUCCESS :)   I just installed the 128 gig ssd into the iriver and worked first time.  The difference in weight alone is worth it.   Just wish the case was a little bit smaller.  As I've said before ad nauseum, all I wanted from Iriver back in the day was an updated Iriver h120/140.  Better battery life (If I get the courage up I'll give it another go, the battery ain't going anywhere!)  Better storage (118 flash, yes that'll do nicely)and a nicer ui (nothing I can do about that, but as I'm an albums man no big deal).  No more sodding itunes (well I continue to use it for audiobooks which is the only thing it's good at)no more tagging issues, better file support.  Think I got my money's worth out of this particular investment :) 

Cheers

Mar 1, 2013 at 4:16 PM Post #113 of 165
Here's the battery I just bought from Amazon to replace my H120 battery.

[size=1.7em]  [/size]

[size=1.7em] 2200mAh Li-pl Battery For iRiver H110, H120, H140, H320, H340 by Cameron.[/size]

Under $20 and 19 left in stock as I type this.

The battery works great and is giving me tons of play time. My old battery would only charge to ~92% when full, and then decline very quickly with play. This was after many years of use though, so to be expected.

Battery installation: Yeah, this was tough, and I've built PCs (that's actually not that challenging anymore) and done lots of car audio work (that can be tough). Here was my experience. The screws come out easy once you get the right torx t5 driver. But then the little side panels (the one with the hold button, and the opposite one) both broke in half somehow. Fortunately I was able to screw the side panels back on when done and use electrical tape to hold them together. I got everything apart, and then the battery connector nightmare began. I don't think it's meant to be removed, as the part right next to it is soldered down/fixed in place and you have no extra space to pull the connector out. Also the connector is connected tightly. Somehow using tweezers and a tiny flat head screwdriver I was able to slowly wiggle it free after many many attempts, without breaking it and pull it free. I still can't believe I got that thing out. THEN, putting the new one in was worse. I literally had to finally dremel grind the new connector so there was less plastic, which then gave it enough room to squeeze in there. Finally connected it without breaking it and somehow got everything back together, almost in one piece. Tolerances for both the connector and then the other parts are tight so this is NOT an easy project by far. I saw a post by HiFlight I think where he (or someone) said that next time he would just splice the new battery to the wires of the old connector - I agree 100% that is the way to go if you know how to do that. I also found where some other people have mentioned grinding the connector down. Probably where I got the idea but then had forgotten that I had read that.

Mar 1, 2013 at 5:51 PM Post #114 of 165
If it's anything like the apple mini ipod, then it should be a case of just unplugging it? I think the mistake most people make is to grab the bit on the board, pulling that. Until this battery gets too low, leaving well enough alone :)

Mar 2, 2013 at 1:49 PM Post #115 of 165
Ok

So I've been doing more testing today.  Nothing too intensive (that comes monday when back at work and can get several hours listening in!).  I decided to test it with the stock battery still in as that battery mod scares the life out of me.  So far I've got about 7-8 hours worth of alac files playing.  No crashes, no freezes, no hang ups nothing.  Navigation is nice and smooth, no pauses or hard drive whine it's just silent.  Odd flicker from the hard drive light but that's about it.  It did get slightly warm over 2 hours but that was because I was copying stuff over on to it. Iriver really were ahead of the game when they released this thing way back when.  I'm just glad I never chuck things out and can enjoy it all over again (with thanks to rockbox of course).  The other obvious difference is weight.  Makes quite a difference swopping the hard drive out.

Any iriver owners thinking about doing this just go ahead and do it.  Even an adaptor and card would be the same or more capacity then what you have now anyway.  Just one slight regret and that it's not 120 gig space available as that would reflect the name of the player :)

Cheers

Edit, so the battery crapped out at 9 hours solid charge.  Would have made it to 10 but started playing about with navigation and volume.  Not bad for the original battery :)  More than enough for a day at work right now for me.

Mar 2, 2013 at 9:46 PM Post #116 of 165
Quote:
Ok

So I've been doing more testing today.  Nothing too intensive (that comes monday when back at work and can get several hours listening in!).  I decided to test it with the stock battery still in as that battery mod scares the life out of me.  So far I've got about 7-8 hours worth of alac files playing.  No crashes, no freezes, no hang ups nothing.  Navigation is nice and smooth, no pauses or hard drive whine it's just silent.  Odd flicker from the hard drive light but that's about it.  It did get slightly warm over 2 hours but that was because I was copying stuff over on to it. Iriver really were ahead of the game when they released this thing way back when.  I'm just glad I never chuck things out and can enjoy it all over again (with thanks to rockbox of course).  The other obvious difference is weight.  Makes quite a difference swopping the hard drive out.

Any iriver owners thinking about doing this just go ahead and do it.  Even an adaptor and card would be the same or more capacity then what you have now anyway.  Just one slight regret and that it's not 120 gig space available as that would reflect the name of the player :)

Cheers

Edit, so the battery crapped out at 9 hours solid charge.  Would have made it to 10 but started playing about with navigation and volume.  Not bad for the original battery :)  More than enough for a day at work right now for me.

KingSpec 128 GB SSD: No crashes and no freezes after playing for 54 hours WITH AC POWER.

SuperTalent 128 GB ZIF SSD model FZM28GF18H: Everyday random crashes in three SSDs.

Active Media 64 GB ZIF SSD model N64G-PATAZIF-Z4: No crashes and no freezes

Mar 2, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #117 of 165
Last time I can only use Rockbox on Kingspec 64gb. Are you able to install original firmware on any of them? By the way, the original iriver firmware can be install over the red color CF card adapter; the green ones did not work with original firmware.

Mar 3, 2013 at 4:14 AM Post #118 of 165
Quote:
KingSpec 128 GB SSD: No crashes and no freezes after playing for 54 hours.

I assume that was with a new battery in yes?  Was it constant playing?

10 hours atm is enough for me to last a day at work so I'm leaving as is.

Cheers

Mar 3, 2013 at 11:06 AM Post #120 of 165
Yay thanx a loot for such active feedback guys!, we iRiver owners are not many but strong i see :D 

That's what I've ordered eventually 

The battery 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170686921083&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:pL:3160

Adapter 

http://dx.com/p/cf-to-1-8-ide-hard-drive-adapter-18463

And Adapter for the adapter :D 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/High-Speed-SD-SDHC-SDXC-to-CompactFlash-CF-Type-II-Card-Adapter-Support-UDMA-/120966590906?ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:pL:3160

I'm totally curious if this has chance to work, I'll try to adapt o 64gb SD card to work as a CF (they are quite expensive in comparison with SD cards :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back