Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Mar 7, 2016 at 1:04 PM Post #9,961 of 63,977
  Can someone compare KZ EDR2 to Sennheiser IE800? From reading the reviews it seems that they must share quite a bit but I dont own IE800.

I don't have the Senn's but just got in the EDR2 and have been going back and forth with them and the ED3c and can say I find the Ed3c just a bit better at everything. The ED3c is smoother with better detail in the treble, I also find the bass to be more present with a bit more authority. I let the EDR2 burn-in for a couple days straight and it did improve quite a bit and I think they sound very good for the price (6 dollars). They seem lighter than my EDSE's which look to have the same housing\body shape. The treble on the EDR2 isn't as smooth as the ED3c IMO and it seems just a step behind.
So if you don't have the ED3c I would say order it along with the EDR2 or maybe even try it first and see if you like its sound sig. I enjoy both but find the ED3c better on my setup. Hope that helps.

Mar 7, 2016 at 1:05 PM Post #9,962 of 63,977
  Can someone compare KZ EDR2 to Sennheiser IE800? From reading the reviews it seems that they must share quite a bit but I dont own IE800.

What! Comparing a $10 to $1000?! I mean law of diminishing returns is there but 100 times costly earphone 

Mar 7, 2016 at 1:11 PM Post #9,963 of 63,977
Is the IE800 a 1K hp? I had no idea! Yea not a fair fight against a KZ if true...

Mar 7, 2016 at 3:15 PM Post #9,965 of 63,977
My KZ ED3 is not even a month old and the right earphone is not working. 
frown.gif
 seems like something is loose.. Bad luck..

Mar 7, 2016 at 7:04 PM Post #9,966 of 63,977
My KZ ED3 is not even a month old and the right earphone is not working. :frowning2:  seems like something is loose.. Bad luck..

It's something KZ have to work on tbh, the reliability side of the production isn't up to scratch yet.

Mar 8, 2016 at 6:04 AM Post #9,968 of 63,977
  So a friend of mine told me to give Knowledge Zenith a try (amongst other things), so I looked it up and ended up here, and then ended up ordering myself a set of ZS1's after skimming through the thread and also after auditioning a few of KZ's IEMs through a kind soul who lives near here... and I've got to say..

God. Damn. Is it me or does the ZS1 possess some really sick sub-bass?

I'd even go as far as to say that these has the sickest sub-bass I've ever heard, perhaps even on par with the JVC FX1X, except a little less loose/boomy. 

That being said, the sub-bass kinda stands out too much from the rest of the frequency range, so it sounds rather unnatural to my ears. Either that or the fact that I switched sides from basshead to soundstage-head about a year ago caused my ears to perceive rumbly deep bass as 'overwhelming'. 

More importantly, does anyone else hear that high pitched digital static-like sound/noise on the ZS1 on some of the more trebly tracks? I think this is what people refer to as 'sparkle' in the high treble, but to my ears it sounded more like static noise/distortion rather than sparkle. I'm really hoping it goes away with burn-in though.

IT DOES. Yeah. It really does. I was surprised myself. Dual drivers actually working... in such an economical package.
BTW I have the ZN1. The only difference the ZN1 has is that it has an inline amp. Though dont get that. It's pretty bulky. And my amp was DOA. Couldn't claim or undo anything so am just living with it...

Mar 8, 2016 at 6:30 AM Post #9,969 of 63,977

IT DOES. Yeah. It really does. I was surprised myself. Dual drivers actually working... in such an economical package.
BTW I have the ZN1. The only difference the ZN1 has is that it has an inline amp. Though dont get that. It's pretty bulky. And my amp was DOA. Couldn't claim or undo anything so am just living with it...

What? ZN1 is very different sounding compared to ZS1. It also has different kind of drivers inside, add into that the different filters as well. 

I'd say just open the dead amp and connect input directly to output. You can also remove the entire assembly and directly join the wires (you'll lose mic function though). And treat it like ZN1 mini. It's a no slouch.

Mar 8, 2016 at 6:48 AM Post #9,970 of 63,977
I was doing some tip rolling with my EDR2 today and as I was pulling the tip off the casing on the left popped out and snapped the wires D:

So keep in mind if tip rolling the edr2 make sure you hold the end near the nozzle...

Either you guys that have had housings split apart have some seriously bad luck or Godzilla grip, lol. The only KZ out of the plethora I own that have come apart were the very first pair I bought; Micro Ring. That was because there was no glue whatsoever, haha. Very unfortunate @crabdog 

Mar 8, 2016 at 8:14 AM Post #9,971 of 63,977

Either you guys that have had housings split apart have some seriously bad luck or Godzilla grip, lol. The only KZ out of the plethora I own that have come apart were the very first pair I bought; Micro Ring. That was because there was no glue whatsoever, haha. Very unfortunate @crabdog 

Admittedly I was in a tip rolling frenzy and grabbed the thing right on the (wrong) end lol. Oh well, lesson learned.

Mar 8, 2016 at 8:47 AM Post #9,972 of 63,977
  What? ZN1 is very different sounding compared to ZS1. It also has different kind of drivers inside, add into that the different filters as well. 

I'd say just open the dead amp and connect input directly to output. You can also remove the entire assembly and directly join the wires (you'll lose mic function though). And treat it like ZN1 mini. It's a no slouch.

Yeah i know. But sometimes my DIY **** gets ugly looking. I'll try something though. Well they do function in a passive mode anyhow, thanks to KZ for providing that passive on/off switch. So are you suggesting the ZN1 and mini sound better than the ZS1? Then it's good. Good shot I think, un-knowingly. I'll skip the ZS1 anyhow then and DIY this.

Soundwise though, these are the s.h.i.t.s no doubt. Never expected such a low price gear to sound so well. How different are they from the ZS1 btw? I off the top of my head thought the ZS1 would be better. They have the crossovers? and stuff someone highlighted - you maybe. 

Mar 8, 2016 at 9:25 AM Post #9,973 of 63,977
Yeah i know. But sometimes my DIY **** gets ugly looking. I'll try something though. Well they do function in a passive mode anyhow, thanks to KZ for providing that passive on/off switch. So are you suggesting the ZN1 and mini sound better than the ZS1? Then it's good. Good shot I think, un-knowingly. I'll skip the ZS1 anyhow then and DIY this.

Soundwise though, these are the s.h.i.t.s no doubt. Never expected such a low price gear to sound so well. How different are they from the ZS1 btw? I off the top of my head thought the ZS1 would be better. They have the crossovers? and stuff someone highlighted - you maybe. 

Well, ZS1 has massive, monster bass which extends more than ZN1. But as issue with all bass heavy phones the lows tower above other frequencies. Mids and highs sound clear, just that they take a back seat.

Mar 8, 2016 at 9:34 AM Post #9,974 of 63,977
So I guess these are better then. They have everything that's clear, and lot of instrument separation too. But I dont understand. Do these also have crossovers? Cuz with crossovers, if the ZS1 have them, things should be more well balanced, no? And is it more than that? Different drives too, in both of these? Different how? Sorry if I'm asking you a lot of these questions.

Mar 8, 2016 at 9:34 AM Post #9,975 of 63,977

Maybe I've been lucky as well, out of the dozen KZ iem's I now posses the only problem I've had was one pair of my 3 ATE has red on both brass cable attachment housings, no sound issues whatsoever but a build/QC problem! For the price of all the KZ's I'm very happy with their products
biggrin.gif

I also think the original amped ZN1 is a killer headphone but just bad layout for amp location and cable length between the amp and ears
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back