Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Apr 4, 2016 at 4:12 AM Post #10,546 of 63,966

My ED10 do not sound bass-heavy, but rather more balanced with a slightly bright signature with wide-bored tips.

+1 Same here!
......on the other hand, users here should be more aware of QC issues and definitely exchange, or get their money back on time. 

Also agree! KZ HAS QC issues and ppl should consider that issue before buying and making final judgement on them.

Apr 4, 2016 at 12:53 PM Post #10,548 of 63,966
I just received a new ED3 acme. Its a replacement for my the previous one which stopped working within a few weeks. The right earphone stopped suddenly. I hope this one will last longer. :p
My lz-03a is coming soon.

Apr 4, 2016 at 1:34 PM Post #10,549 of 63,966
  apple earpod vs KZ ED9 which is better?

Well, I needed an answer to this question earlier, before buying. Didn't get a proper answer anywhere.

I got my ED9 today, was excited and was really confident that it'd be really better than the EarPods reading the comments here.

I'm disappointed. And I can say, EarPods sound better. I'm really a noob about this sound quality thing but I'm never completely satisfied with what I have ( :frowning2: ).

After a LOT of playing with V4A settings, I was able to get the ED9 CLOSE to the EarPods (and I thought it was better at first). The bass is all fine and punchy enough (for the price, I guess), Earpods have SLIGHTLY lower bass. Then after listening to a few more songs, I kind of started getting irritated due to the sound it produces. The mids and highs are really harsh. The Earpods on the other hand produces a very clean sound. ED9 hurts my ears. Kind of like the... cheap sound...

Honestly, I cannot hear any real difference between the two nozzles (or whatever you call it). However, the bass nozzles sound better to my ears.

Should I sell it or wait more and give it some burn in?

BTW I'm using a Nexus 6P which has a PATHETIC DAC in built. Is that the issue? I guess not, because the Earpods are also running in the same thing.

Apr 4, 2016 at 1:43 PM Post #10,550 of 63,966
I'd give them time before I made the decision that I hated them unless the fit is just wrong for your ears.  Fit issues don't get better, sound might.  Burn-in is one of those topics here that will attract strong opinions on both sides of the argument.   I know for me, I do believe that anything with moving parts tends to wear over time and I think it perfectly logical that the moving parts in a driver can indeed wear and change slightly with use.

Apr 4, 2016 at 1:48 PM Post #10,551 of 63,966
  I'd give them time before I made the decision that I hated them unless the fit is just wrong for your ears.  Fit issues don't get better, sound might.  Burn-in is one of those topics here that will attract strong opinions on both sides of the argument.   I know for me, I do believe that anything with moving parts tends to wear over time and I think it perfectly logical that the moving parts in a driver can indeed wear and change slightly with use.

It fits fine to my ears.. I think I have to sell it, because if I need to tune the EQ so much to get slightly better sound than my existing one, it's not really worth it. Right?

Apr 4, 2016 at 2:28 PM Post #10,552 of 63,966
  Well, I needed an answer to this question earlier, before buying. Didn't get a proper answer anywhere.

I got my ED9 today, was excited and was really confident that it'd be really better than the EarPods reading the comments here.

I'm disappointed. And I can say, EarPods sound better. I'm really a noob about this sound quality thing but I'm never completely satisfied with what I have ( :frowning2: ).

After a LOT of playing with V4A settings, I was able to get the ED9 CLOSE to the EarPods (and I thought it was better at first). The bass is all fine and punchy enough (for the price, I guess), Earpods have SLIGHTLY lower bass. Then after listening to a few more songs, I kind of started getting irritated due to the sound it produces. The mids and highs are really harsh. The Earpods on the other hand produces a very clean sound. ED9 hurts my ears. Kind of like the... cheap sound...

Honestly, I cannot hear any real difference between the two nozzles (or whatever you call it). However, the bass nozzles sound better to my ears.

Should I sell it or wait more and give it some burn in?

BTW I'm using a Nexus 6P which has a PATHETIC DAC in built. Is that the issue? I guess not, because the Earpods are also running in the same thing.

If you have other silicone tips, try "tip-rolling". This really helps in getting the right sound balance your looking for.....Silicone tips with a wide-bore center does it for me. I've been using the Auvio medium silicone tips with the wide-bore center ever since I bought my ED9's several years ago when they first came out.

Here's a link below.....

http://www.amazon.com/AUVIO-Silicone-Replacement-Tips-Medium/dp/B00N568Z80/ref=pd_sim_23_1/189-7990867-8701264?ie=UTF8&dpID=31bG5jFnvLL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=1YA59K8JG7M9Q4DZNDRB

I use the medium Auvio tips on my KZ-ED9 and SoundMAGIC E10's.

Hope this helps.
etysmile.gif

Apr 4, 2016 at 4:03 PM Post #10,553 of 63,966

If you have other silicone tips, try "tip-rolling". This really helps in getting the right sound balance your looking for.....Silicone tips with a wide-bore center does it for me. I've been using the Auvio medium silicone tips with the wide-bore center ever since I bought my ED9's several years ago when they first came out.

Here's a link below.....

http://www.amazon.com/AUVIO-Silicone-Replacement-Tips-Medium/dp/B00N568Z80/ref=pd_sim_23_1/189-7990867-8701264?ie=UTF8&dpID=31bG5jFnvLL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=1YA59K8JG7M9Q4DZNDRB

Hope this helps.
etysmile.gif

Been rolling tips with my ED9. I find them to be hard-fitting iems. They just don't seem to sit right in my ears, which is a rare phenomena... I think it's because they are rather heavy and have that weird shape. But I had some silicone tips from my old beloved (and dead... snif) Radiopaq Jazz, and they are just perfect for these iems. I use them with the brass nozzles, inserted all the way in, covering the tiny nozzle holes. 
So, what I say is that some iems don't seem to fit right at the fisrt, second, third, fourth time... but if you manage to try hard enough, and if they are good enough...

Apr 4, 2016 at 4:18 PM Post #10,554 of 63,966
  Been rolling tips with my ED9. I find them to be hard-fitting iems. They just don't seem to sit right in my ears, which is a rare phenomena... I think it's because they are rather heavy and have that weird shape. But I had some silicone tips from my old beloved (and dead... snif) Radiopaq Jazz, and they are just perfect for these iems. I use them with the brass nozzles, inserted all the way in, covering the tiny nozzle holes. 
So, what I say is that some iems don't seem to fit right at the fisrt, second, third, fourth time... but if you manage to try hard enough, and if they are good enough...

Wearing my ED9 over ear solved my weight problem but I know some hate over ear wire!

Apr 5, 2016 at 5:46 AM Post #10,556 of 63,966
  It fits fine to my ears.. I think I have to sell it, because if I need to tune the EQ so much to get slightly better sound than my existing one, it's not really worth it. Right?

If you dun like, just sell it. Usually, you could sell it with no loss.

I bought tons of kz iems and sold them all except KZ-ATE S. Didn't really like KZ ed9,ed10 and zs1. But it made me realized that only warm sound signature suits to my taste. I assume you're using apple earpods? Apple earpods is actually not that bad but they are definitely inferior once you found the right kz model for you.

Apr 5, 2016 at 5:51 AM Post #10,557 of 63,966

I bought tons of kz iems and sold them all except KZ-ATE S. Didn't really like KZ ed9,ed10 and zs1. But it made me realized that only warm sound signature suits to my taste. I assume you're using apple earpods? Apple earpods is actually not that bad but they are definitely inferior once you found the right kz model for you.

KZ will probably sound inferior if you're not getting a good seal. A good fit can make all the difference with iem.

Apr 5, 2016 at 1:38 PM Post #10,559 of 63,966

Here's a link below.....

Hope this helps.
etysmile.gif

I've no idea what tip rolling means.. (forgive me, me noob). :p

Yeah, that's a huge plus. Hope I get a buyer quickly.

By the way I just had a listen with an M8 and 6S Plus. 

With the 6S Plus:
The ED9 may sound little better to some people, and I thought the same the first few seconds. But like I said earlier, the treble is too harsh sometimes.
Earpods sound the same or little better with the treble booster EQ for me (otherwise it sounds too muffled/closed).

With M8 (No V4A):
ED9 sounds a little better. Probably because of no V4A.

Now again with my 6P with V4A:
I'm like.. Oh really? :O The Earpods sound really really good with the V4A optimisations! It's kind of like an entirely different thing, I can't actually believe how this app does wonders/magic!
ED9 - same thing I told earlier - treble is too harsh sometimes (even after trying so hard).

Now I get it, people who say ED9 is much better than Earpods have clearly not utilised its true potential. With no EQ, the ED9 sounds downright better, but with some good EQ optimisations, The Earpods are a lot better (the harsh treble the ED9 is really bad... It's worse than I first thought). 

Apr 5, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #10,560 of 63,966
  I've no idea what tip rolling means.. (forgive me, me noob). :p

Tip rolling is swapping tips from other headphones you have in your collection until you find the pair that fit your ears best.   You might also try Comply foam tips as they can make a world of difference in fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back