Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Dec 10, 2022 at 3:40 AM Post #60,541 of 63,998
it came with memory foam and i'm not used to it.
also, the audacity to sell iem that only comes with lint-magnet memory foam tips and didn't even include pouch or case with the iem.
These guys do really cheap cases if you need a few spare ZY Pop Electral Fun Store. Otherwise just hunt around for stores that offer free shipping (that's often more than the cases).

The trick with foams is to roll the tip between finger and thumb to compress it before putting it in your ear. Then they expand out for a good seal. Good memory foam tips remain compressed for longer which makes them easier to insert. TENNMAK do great foam tips, I have no idea how good the new KZ ones are in comparison. :ksc75smile:

Dec 10, 2022 at 7:45 AM Post #60,542 of 63,998
I tried the Pr1 Pro with Azla Sednafit tips... bad combo unless you take the treble down even further.
I see why KZ included foams with these. Even EQ'ed, the foams help bring things down to a more tolerable level.
Yes. On my Hifi's I'm using Comply foams with "waxguard" mesh to cut the treble down a little further still. Generally happy not to EQ them with these.

Good to have a use for these after picking them up for PSB M4U4's (those come with 1 pair) but not finding them such a good match on that set.

Dec 10, 2022 at 9:11 AM Post #60,543 of 63,998
Yes. On my Hifi's I'm using Comply foams with "waxguard" mesh to cut the treble down a little further still. Generally happy not to EQ them with these.

Good to have a use for these after picking them up for PSB M4U4's (those come with 1 pair) but not finding them such a good match on that set.
still tip rolling my PR1 Pro
trying to find a tip that tame the treble a bit but didn't mess with the soundstage or boosting the bass.

Dec 10, 2022 at 10:47 AM Post #60,544 of 63,998
still tip rolling my PR1 Pro
trying to find a tip that tame the treble a bit but didn't mess with the soundstage or boosting the bass.
Foam tips, the closest I find with silicone tips is JVC Spiraldots or Spinfits CP145 (but CP145 tends to narrow the headstage a bit.)

Dec 11, 2022 at 6:38 AM Post #60,550 of 63,998
Question for you guys who have the PR1b/PR1h/PLA13

Do you find the bass kinda weak relative to the quantity?

Its a lot of bass yeah, but it feels less tactile than DD iems that have less bass. Ie you hear it more but don't feel it as much.

I don't main planar iems so I'm curious what you guys think about this disconnect. Do planars just not move as much air or is it something else?

I don't have those But I have timeless, i mod them so bass really open (default is too overdampened) but yes i concur that planar bass is more like BA bass, there is sub and mid bass presence but little air moving feeling that responsible for the impact. Still better than most BA though

On positive side, planar bass is so precise that on mid upper bass, they wont smear as much as DD, so planar bass usually tighter and precise. While all details and texture is an added bonuses

I have the PLA13 but it's out on loan, so this is from memory. Planar bass does seem intermediate between BA and DD bass. PLA has most bass by far of my planars, but if a DD set was tuned like that I'd expect them to pop out of my ears!
Returning to my previous statement regarding planar bass (specifically referring to the pla13)

After listening to the PR1 Pro extensively, I have to say it has a very weighty bass rumble and punch with incredible control. Its not like the pla 13 which was basically throwing blind punches everywhere, the PR1 Pro throws them with focus and precision. Its also a lot weightier than most dynamic iems i have tried, only exception being the Elysian Gaea and Annihilator but those are way out this league.

Still nitpicking on the treble a bit though, perhaps its a driver thing. The electrostats in the Annihilator seem to provide all the extension of the planar driver but without the sheen, like an ethereal image rather than an oversaturated one. (again, could be tuning refinement)

(the PR1 Pro has effectively rendered the PLA13 obsolete imo)

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2022 at 5:04 PM Post #60,552 of 63,998
KZ PR1 Pro is the first time to tip roll this hard to get "proper" sound out from an IEM.
it sounds good with foam, but i want foam replacement and so far every thing that i tried have its mixed result.
maybe i should caved in and bought that expensive spiraldots...
No need. Spiral Dots didn't help for me.
You'd have to physically filter the excess peaky treble or EQ it. It sounds great after you do though.

Dec 12, 2022 at 10:54 PM Post #60,554 of 63,998
Dec 12, 2022 at 11:41 PM Post #60,555 of 63,998
KZ PR1 Pro, The best of KZ... it's real... need to plug with good source to make this iem really shine...
But plug with usb DAC dongle still ok !

Attachments

• 00064436_n.jpg
    00064436_n.jpg
    558.9 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back