Lets Talk Metal
Jul 31, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #10,741 of 29,676
Quote:
Now that you finished Jodorowsky's Fando and Lis your ready for El Topo and Holy Mountain. The allegory is the best in film!

Did you listen to the audio track where he somewhat explains the symbolism of the movie? Really though if you can get from the start to finish with Fando and Lis you will totally love Holy Mountain and ElTopo. El Topo is totally Heavy Metal!
cool.gif

Yup. Probably watch El Topo tonight. Figured I would find someone that has seen his movies in this thread.
No, I didn't listen to the audio track. Ill have to try and find it.

Jul 31, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #10,742 of 29,676
Quote:
Opeth playing in my local radio. Wonder if they'll play the whole track (Deliverance) or they'll cut out like some other (I think) station did with The Day That Never Comes when it was a new single.
Previous song was Blodtorst by Kvelertak. :)

Ya see, this... is why Europe is more culturally advanced than the US. When I turn on the radio, I get Miley Cyrus and whoever the current rapper du jour is. *Sighs audibly*. 

Jul 31, 2013 at 10:29 PM Post #10,743 of 29,676
Heh. Not that it's a standard, sadly. But that's one of the few stations still playing nice music.
Helps that it's a public, not a company radio and it's a late night audition (midnight to 1 AM) - they play far more "popular" music during the day. Still, more Rock than Pop.
The fact that it has long tradition (back when Poland was communist, it was basically the only place where you could legally hear western rock. They basically brought us up when it comes to that) and is heavily focused on people doing the auditions and chosing the music themselves (instead of focus-tested premade playlists) helps as well.

Basically they've been known for 50 years for being good and they have created their own audience that listens to them because of that and because of the people themselves... :-D

Aug 1, 2013 at 12:26 AM Post #10,744 of 29,676
Sounds awesome to me, man. I can say with absolute honesty that the radio stations in the US are so awful (as a rule) that I literally listen to public radio (for the news) or music from my phone, without exception. I haven't turned on the radio to listen to music in quite a few years... Most of the stations in the US were bought up by Clearchannel Communications, I believe, and there's been nothing but homogeneity to show for it. Kudos to your countrymen for having vastly better taste than mine. But I digress...

Anybody listen to the new Revocation from start to finish yet? I saw there was a full album stream available, but I've been rebooting my computer every few minutes while hunting down an audio problem so I haven't been able to listen...

Aug 1, 2013 at 3:52 AM Post #10,745 of 29,676
My dying bride-Obviously heard of them before.I like turn loose the swans but can anyone recommend their best albums for me to try.

Aug 1, 2013 at 7:54 AM Post #10,746 of 29,676
Aug 1, 2013 at 8:01 AM Post #10,747 of 29,676
Quote:

New Revocation, now STREAMING

Still too many thrash elements! For my taste of course.
I really don't like thrash metal (especially all these "fun" ones) and the only two thrashy ones I tolerate are Vektor and Revocation :)

Aug 1, 2013 at 8:05 AM Post #10,748 of 29,676
Quote:
My dying bride-Obviously heard of them before.I like turn loose the swans but can anyone recommend their best albums for me to try.

I'm a fan, but don't have an exhaustive knowledge. When I get into a band, I like getting their classics and some newer stuff.

I own and recommed:

1.  The Angel and the Dark River  from 96 (I just looked at their bio and discography on the Allmusic blog which I've found a good resource for researching bands). They went thru a doom/deth phase-The Angel is when (I think) when they incorporated cleaner vocals-mostly clean singing with a lot of violin...if you are familiar with old Tristania...that's a vague reference point-MDB has just one male vocalist vs the beauty and beast thing...epic doom suites and violin. I kind of like what I consider good doomish goth-it's in that realm. It goes w/o saying this is over the top melodramatic music. This album is beautiful though.
  2. A Map of All their Failures, from last year is really strong. Maybe their strongest newest output.
  3. Songs of Darkness, Words of Light, A Line of Deathless Kings, and  For Lies I Sire  are recent releases prior to A Map that are also solid releases.

Yeah-these are just the discs I own, but I would say The Angel and A Map...would give you a good range. I don't have thier true doom/death stuff as I prefer their cleaner singing stuff. I do like doom/deth, but MDB vocals are strong enough for me to prefer the cleaner vocals. Aaron Stainthorpe-the vocalist nails the classic melodic male bariton doom vox IMO.

Enjoy!

Aug 1, 2013 at 8:38 AM Post #10,750 of 29,676
Yup. Probably watch El Topo tonight. Figured I would find someone that has seen his movies in this thread.
No, I didn't listen to the audio track. Ill have to try and find it.

Such a great thing. He just as Brazil's Coffin Joe both influenced by comic books only movies like El Topo are beyond maybe anything ever made in movies. My bedroom had a large book shelf where my parents kept their books. At 13 I found the original book about El Topo. Jodorowsky explained what the movie ment. Still from a movie making standpoint he tries to put concepts together which don't fit. So you could say no one has ever made movies with his joined concepts. He has even forgot maybe at times what these joined unrelated concepts are in his movies it appears when you listen to the audio tracks on the director naritives.

The movie ElTopo was so hard to find, for awhile. In 2000 I paid $100 for a Japanese laser disk of it. Nowadays were lucky as they just came out even on Blue Ray. Santa Sangre has just come out on Blue ray. It probably the only movie I can't get into of his.

Aug 1, 2013 at 8:46 AM Post #10,751 of 29,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by markm1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I own and recommed:

1.  The Angel and the Dark River

While I prefer the death/doom more, this album is amazing. Beautiful and depressing like decent DSBM

Aug 1, 2013 at 10:51 AM Post #10,752 of 29,676
Quote:

While I prefer the death/doom more, this album is amazing. Beautiful and depressing like decent DSBM

Yeah, for someone new to MDB-it's a good starting point....really beautiful, heavy melodic metal.

Aug 1, 2013 at 11:27 AM Post #10,754 of 29,676
Quote:
Yeah, for someone new to MDB-it's a good starting point....really beautiful, heavy melodic metal.

Here is an MDB inspired band that melds both styles

Users who are viewing this thread

Back