LG Quadbeat 3 Impressions Thread
Sep 23, 2016 at 11:48 PM Post #346 of 478
  I agree, the only gripe I have with the QB3AKG is that they are a bit flat-sounding (which is why I've tried playing with the EQ), and the sound stage is not nearly as wide as compared to my Sony EX1000. Everything else about it is just impressive given its price point. I tested them on different media players on my Galaxy S6 including the stock player, Onkyo HF Player, Poweramp and to my ears they clearly sounded better with Neutron player.

How's the sound quality of the Onkyo E700M compared to QB3AKG?

recommend you to try the alpha version of Poweramp with high-res support

better than neutron IMO

Sep 24, 2016 at 2:29 AM Post #347 of 478
How's the sound quality of the Onkyo E700M compared to QB3AKG?
Think of the EX1000, but with a smoother upper midrange, and a slightly less extended (well, i'll say - boosted) upper treble, and you're pretty much where the E700M is - albeit they're a bit fussy with fit, like the Sonys are (for me, I need to use large 2nd generation Spinfits - the grey ones with the orange cores)...

I will go out on a limb and say that the E700M, when you've got the fit right are - to me, the best dynamic IEM i've ever heard... For the pocket money prices that these go for (relative to the likes of the Layla that I own) - they are quite possibly the steal of the century, and - definitely should have the Senn IE800 feeling.a bit sorry for itself....

However, back to the QB3...

Sep 24, 2016 at 9:25 AM Post #348 of 478
I just picked up the QB3 AKG version for $10 used, in pristine condition. OMG these sound good! I am shocked... I actually think they sound better than my UE900's, totally shocked right now.

Sep 24, 2016 at 10:30 AM Post #349 of 478
  I just picked up the QB3 AKG version for $10 used, in pristine condition. OMG these sound good! I am shocked... I actually think they sound better than my UE900's, totally shocked right now.

Try experimenting with different ear tips if you haven't already :)
For me, the stock ear tips are terrible and do not provide proper fit and isolation.

As suggested by several members, the Sony ear tips (Hybrids / MH1 tips) tend to work very well with these. I've tried both and like the Hybrids better, but they both provide noticeable improvement over the stock tips.

Sep 24, 2016 at 1:01 PM Post #350 of 478
  Try experimenting with different ear tips if you haven't already :)
For me, the stock ear tips are terrible and do not provide proper fit and isolation.

As suggested by several members, the Sony ear tips (Hybrids / MH1 tips) tend to work very well with these. I've tried both and like the Hybrids better, but they both provide noticeable improvement over the stock tips.

Ahh okay I will try your recommended Sony ear tips :) I currently use the leftover tips from my UE900 collection. I'm so happy I found the QB3, because I was actually yearning for the TF10 pro sound signature, which unfortunately the UE900 did not have. Gonna have to do some ear tip shopping this weekend :)

Sep 26, 2016 at 11:44 AM Post #351 of 478
I can only find the "LG HSS-F631 QuadBeat 3 Tuned by AKG " - is this different than the AKG version?

What's a good source for the AKG version (I'm in the US)? This might be nice to use with my V10. Thanks!

Sep 26, 2016 at 12:23 PM Post #352 of 478
 I can only find the "LG HSS-F631 QuadBeat 3 Tuned by AKG " - is this different than the AKG version?

What's a good source for the AKG version (I'm in the US)? This might be nice to use with my V10. Thanks!

Yes, the LG HSS-631 QuadBeat 3 Tuned by AKG is the IEM that's supposed to be bundled with the V10 except the US market. I've paired the LG HSS-631 with pretty much every DAC/AMP (Chord Mojo, Centrance HiFi M8 and Audio GD NFB-11), DAPs (FiiO X3 1st gen and iBasso DX90), iPhones (3G and 4S) and Android Phones (Samsung Note 2, Note 4 and S7 Edge) that I own and it performed admirably. I'm sure it will perform very well with your LG V10.

Oct 5, 2016 at 12:43 PM Post #354 of 478
I have tried a few decent headphones in the past; including the Sony MH1, Soundmagic E10, Sennheiser HD 202 and Koss KSC75. None of them was this close to being dull (MH1 was closest). I hear no bass in QB3AKG at all. The mids are so high compared to the lows that I need to crank my amp half way up in order to be able to hear the bass, and if I do that then the mids become painfully loud. I will get a hearing loss if I keep using these.

Properly mixed songs sound very good, but most songs these days are normalized to hell and most likely mixed while wearing a V-curve headphone.

Edit: Nevermind. After listening to the QB3AKG for a few weeks I can't go back to any of the old IEMs. That feels like listening to 64k MP3. The bass is there, but that is because nothing else is.

My ears are pretty sensitive to distortion. Software EQ or bass boost distorts the sound. Will a hardware EQ be better?

Oct 6, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #355 of 478
 I have tried a few decent headphones in the past; including the Sony MH1, Soundmagic E10, Sennheiser HD 202 and Koss KSC75. None of them was this close to being dull (MH1 was closest). I hear no bass in QB3AKG at all. The mids are so high compared to the lows that I need to crank my amp half way up in order to be able to hear the bass, and if I do that then the mids become painfully loud. I will get a hearing loss if I keep using these.

Properly mixed songs sound very good, but most songs these days are normalized to hell and most likely mixed while wearing a V-curve headphone.

Edit: Nevermind. After listening to the QB3AKG for a few weeks I can't go back to any of the old IEMs. That feels like listening to 64k MP3. The bass is there, but that is because nothing else is.

My ears are pretty sensitive to distortion. Software EQ or bass boost distorts the sound. Will a hardware EQ be better?

​QB3 and QB3AKG are not suitable for bass head sound signature

Oct 6, 2016 at 4:09 PM Post #356 of 478
I don't need any EQ for my QB3AKG. All I need is the Sony MH1 tips and everything's good :D
I tried the MH1 tips on the QB3 way back and compared them back and forth many times to confirm that while they slighltly boost soundstage depth, they greatly reduced the subbass and clearly changed the upper mid peak frequency, for better or worse. I prefer the stock medium tips for my ears, but I still have to EQ down the upper bass bloat and upper mid peaks.

Oct 10, 2016 at 7:34 PM Post #358 of 478
I just got the QB3 normal version. I wish the bass were slightly more abundant. Just slightly. The fit is also difficult to get right. All that aside, these headphones are amazing for the price, and are probably better than all of my more expensive IEMs.

Oct 11, 2016 at 2:33 PM Post #359 of 478

​QB3 and QB3AKG are not suitable for bass head sound signature

I gave up and installed Equalizer APO. Instead of boosting bass, I am lowering higher frequencies. I think I should use EQ if for nothing else then at least for protecting my ears from treble. I have never heard anyone praise Equalizer APO though. How does a software equalizer compare with entry level hardware equalizer? Am I better off with Equalizer APO than a Behringer MINIFBQ FBQ800?

Oct 11, 2016 at 5:44 PM Post #360 of 478
There are no drawbacks to using Equalizer APO that I'm aware of, besides it taxing a tiny bit of your CPU, which is most likely negligible. It should be much better than any physical EQ, as it gives you full graphical control.

Equalizer APO is so powerful, infact, that I think you can make almost any pair of headphones sound like any other pair of headphones, provided there are no extreme peaks or valleys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back